Hiking around Camp Verde

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
evenstarx3
City, State: Sun City West, AZ from CA

Hiking around Camp Verde

Post by evenstarx3 »

Just got an invitation to spend three free days, two nights at an RV resort in Camp Verde. Yeah, gotta listen to a 90 minute sales pitch, but they'll allow the three Basenjis. Also, since I'm getting the Jeep set up to be towed tomorrow, it'd be a good short drive to get used to towing something behind the motorhome.

What are some of the good hiking trails near Camp Verde? Anything up to four hours actual hiking time.
Hooli, aka Trihairopelli

"They say the dog is man's best friend.
I don't believe that. How many of your friends have you neutered?"
--Larry Reeb
montezumawell
City, State: Montezumawell, AZ

Camp Verde area hiking

Post by montezumawell »

Richard Mangum's classic 'Sedona Hikes' contains all of the various Camp Verde area hikes. We have heard directly from the author that these hikes will be eliminated in the soon-to-be-published 7th edition. This change is apparently being made to focus more on the Sedona 'core.' We certainly support that decision. However, his descriptions of the various trails there are about the only such descriptions you can find outside of the HAZ TrailDEX. We'd recommend that you actually BUY a copy of Mangum's book because you will be using it for many years to come. (We still use his 1992 first edition as a companion to the Year 2000 6th edition. Many of the hikes in the 1st edition are geniune classics that have been removed from subsequent editions because they are in 'sensitive areas.') Anyway, if you're going to spend any time at all in the Verde Valley (a geographical area encompassing Sedona, Camp Verde, Cottonwood, Jerome, Clarkdale, Cornville, Village of Oak Creek, Lake Montezuma and Rimrock) you really ought to have a copy of his book. There's a lot of hikes somewhat nearby to that RV park you're going to visit and it's simply a lot easier to read the book than to explain them all here.

The only hike worth mentioning that's NOT in his book is the Black Canyon hike which was fairly well described in a recent Sunday Travel Section. We made a note of it in the trails category. You can probably pull it up from the Republic's website.

Just another general FYI--most visitors to that RV park you're visiting drive over to hike the Sedona trails rather than mess around with the trails near Camp Verde. We run into them all the time over on Sedona trails. All things considered, you're about as close (in terms of driving distance & convenience) to Sedona as you are to some of the 'better' Camp Verde hikes. Take, for example, Fossil Creek. A lot of the Camp Verde locals consider that a Camp Verde hike. (Of course, the Pine-Strawberry Locals consider it a Pine-Strawberry hike!) So, let's say you ask a Camp Verde local about a Camp Verde hike and they recommend Fossil Creek or Towel Creek or Chasm Creek or The Teepees or one or more portions of the original General Crook Trail. Why, by the time you actually drove out and located the TH's, you probably could have done a ROUND trip to Sedona. Grief Hill is the closest to that RV park but it was designed for the horse crowd and it's pretty lame for regular hikers.

J&S in RR
evenstarx3
City, State: Sun City West, AZ from CA

Post by evenstarx3 »

Thanks, J&S, lotta hikes I want to do in Sedona, so your advice hits the nail. And I can try the restaurants that were recommended for my Secret Canyon hike. Sure a good thing I like to hike 'cause I sure do like to eat, too! :wink:
Hooli, aka Trihairopelli

"They say the dog is man's best friend.
I don't believe that. How many of your friends have you neutered?"
--Larry Reeb
no avatar
tdada
City, State: Charlton, Massachusetts

Hikes near Camp Verde

Post by tdada »

Just thought I'd make a recommendation. Boynton Canyon just outside Sedona is a terrific hike. About three miles out and back. It's worth the trip, particularly when you get to the end of the canyon. Good hiking! Tdada

Return to “Looking for a Hike”