Dog Friendly Day Hikes

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Shamus
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Dog Friendly Day Hikes

Post by Shamus » Jan 04 2004 10:00 am

New to the forum and relatively new to hiking. There seems to be a wealth of knowledge from those of you who have done this for a while, so I figured I'd tap into it.

I'm looking for a day hike that will allow dogs. In general, I'd like to stay within 50 miles of Scottsdale, but eventually I'll try to venture outside of that. Any suggestions for either the 50 mile range or outside?

Thanks in advance.

AZBrad123
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by AZBrad123 » Jan 04 2004 4:21 pm

One i like when i want to wear out a dog while dogsitting is in the South Mountain Park. The route i take is at the southern end of 24th str, i think it is called the Mormon trail. You take the trail to the top and then you have the Mormon Loop on your left
( http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=181 )
and can return using part of the National Loop.

Nice hike and takes me about 1 & 1/2 hours.
"Some(words) are wise, and some are false, but only three are holy: 'I will it!'" Ayn Rand

hegstrom

Post by hegstrom » Jan 04 2004 7:44 pm

We like SoMtn park as well (probably because we live in south Phx), many options, here's a couple.

Option 1. Very close to AZBrad123's suggestion, except, drive in the main entrance on south Central. Follow the signs up to Buena Vista overlook. Take the National Trail (east) down to Fat Man's Pass, Hidden Valley, Natural Tunnel and loop back west on the National Trail.

Option 2. Drive in the main entrance on south Central. Follow the signs all the way to the west end of the Alta Trail. Take the Alta Trail as far as you like then double back on the same trail. Or, complete the Alta Trail and loop back around on the Bajada and National Trails.

The Alta Trail is one our favorites because there are a lot less people, sometimes nobody :) . The Natural Tunnel is far east as we ever go, from that point east to the 48th street park entrance there are waaaaay to many people.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those that can read binary ... and those that can't.
http://www.loveliberates.com

turp182
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by turp182 » Jan 05 2004 6:33 am

Most of the Phoenix area hikes are dog friendly. The key is knowing where they aren't allowed, Pinnacle Peak is an example.

Go under Regions->Phoenix and then under the list is a map of subregions. Close to Scottsdale:
1. Cave Creek (watch out for horses if off leash)
2. Usery Mountain (I just did the Pass Mountain Trail yesterday, good hike).
3. Fountain Hills (actually the McDowell Mountain Recreation Area, pretty flat hikes).

If your dogs like swimming I would recommend a trip to Bell Trail. It's about 100 miles north towards Sedona and it's a great hike with swimming for the dogs (and people if you go when it's warmer).

mtoomeyaz
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by mtoomeyaz » Jan 05 2004 10:31 am

Also check out this group. They may be helpful
http://www.mydogateaz.com/k9hike.html
Mike T
-------------------------------------------------
Less is more

Daryl
City, State: Lake Stevens, WA

Post by Daryl » Jan 05 2004 11:31 am

Most hikes you can bring your dog, but most places you must have your dog on a leash at all times and all places require you clean up after them.

I take my dogs on just about all my hikes. They love it. After a good rain there is always plenty of water in the Supes for a week or so, so you don't have to pack extra water.

Have fun!
“Life is tough, but it’s tougher if you’re stupid”
John Wayne as Sergeant John M. Stryker, USMC in “The Sands of Iwo Jima”

Wiz

Post by Wiz » Jan 05 2004 1:16 pm

Let me go on record as saying that I think all hikes are dog-friendly hikes. Dogs are good under all circumstances. I love it when people bring big rowdy dogs on a hike. Nothing better than a big old scruffy jumping around.
Dogs good. Big dogs better.
"The older I get, the better I was."

no avatar
rosiecoyote
City, State: The burrios of Sunnyslope Az.

Re: Dog Friendly Day Hikes

Post by rosiecoyote » Sep 21 2005 12:49 pm

In response to Shamus' reply: :) There's a Arizona k-9 hiking club that has been around for about 3 years.If you do a yahoo search and type in the words arizona k-9 hiking club it will take you to the site.It's also on yahho groups.

SUN_HIKER
City, State: Phoenix & Overgaard, AZ

Post by SUN_HIKER » Sep 22 2005 11:33 am

Most hikes in Southern AZ are off limits to dogs, check with Rangers first before bringing your dog.
Not sure but I do believe it's because of the Cougar population and of course bears too.
SUN HIKER

Winnie Y Chin
City, State: Tempe, AZ

New web address

Post by Winnie Y Chin » Feb 26 2006 4:01 am

Just to let everyone know -

The Canine Hiking Club of AZ's web address has changed. It is now http://www.mydog8az.com/k9hike.html

Please make a note of it!

Winnie

Return to “Looking for a Hike”