Hike with fall colors for this weekend.

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
ChefTIO
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Hike with fall colors for this weekend.

Post by ChefTIO » Oct 04 2005 5:44 pm

Looking for a day hike for this weekend that will hopefully have a lot of fall colors. Possibly something that may have some water nearby like a pond/stream or creek etc...(for the dog). I know most areas is still a little too early, but looking for something or some place I haven't thought of. Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Todd

hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Hike with fall colors for this weekend.

Post by hikeaz » Oct 04 2005 7:52 pm

In response to ChefTIO's reply:

For regional fall color information, you might call the US Forest Service's Fall Color Hotline at (800) 354-4595 (press 3 for Arizona information).
(As far as I know you do NOT need a Red Rock Pass :roll: to use this service)

The Arboretum says (as of 9/23) "Fall has definitely arrived at The Arboretum. This weekend should be the first good weekend to view fall color on the grounds. Many of the maples, aspens, and box elders are vibrant. Many of the late-season wildflowers are also still in bloom.

One of my favorite fall color hikes is the Ice House - Six-Shooter Loop in the Pinals.

kurt
kurt

az420dude

Post by az420dude » Oct 05 2005 1:58 am

yes, I suggest the Inner Basin. At the begining of the trail, there might be a running creek for the dog. Prob doing it Friday. I'll report back.

Trishness
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by Trishness » Oct 05 2005 7:15 pm

Todd,

I'm thinking that anything in the Flag area (Inner Basin as AZDude suggested) or up on the Rim would be a good choice. I did See Canyon near Christopher Creek last year on Oct 24th and the colors were just blazing! (check out my pics)......I thought I was back in New England.

Not sure if it's just a tad too early though. Maybe another week for full color.

:mrgreen:
Trish-Kabob

"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds" Ed Abbey

ChefTIO

Post by ChefTIO » Oct 05 2005 9:07 pm

Ya I think most areas are a bit early. I'm thinking the Flgastaff area is the best bet or other high elevations. See Canyon up in Payson is on the "calendar" for later this month.

Hoffmaster
City, State: Canton, OH

Post by Hoffmaster » Oct 06 2005 2:49 pm

Yeah, I would hold off on See Canyon for another 2 weeks or so. I was there last weekend and there was only one little patch of color. It was obvious that the place is going to explode soon though!
"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals; I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

Dschur
City, State: Payson, AZ

Post by Dschur » Oct 06 2005 3:49 pm

In response to ChefTIO's reply: Was up on the North rim of the Grand Canyon last weekend and went thru Flagstaff. There should be some still up there but lots of the trees down on the lower areas are already changing and some were already done. Then there was a good wind storm Saturday night that blew alot of the changed leaves off the aspens. And there have been some hard winds up there this last week too. Rain is predicted for Sat night and into sunday.
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

az420dude

Post by az420dude » Oct 07 2005 7:45 pm

Just got back from the Inner Basin - its golden but past its peak. Maybe a week left w/decent color.

ChefTIO

Post by ChefTIO » Oct 08 2005 7:03 am

Thanks. They are predicting strong winds for that whole area this weekend. Taking a wait and see for what to do tomorrow. Thanks again

Return to “Looking for a Hike”