Linked Area/Label none
no avatar
plaughlin
Triplogs Last: none | RS: 0
Water Reports 1Y: 0 | Last: never
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Romantic view

Post by plaughlin »

I'm a long time troll of these boards, first post. I'm going to propose to my girlfriend next weekend and after a lot of thought I decided to do it on a hike. Difficulty is not much of an issue as we are both avid hikers, however time is. We only have about 5-6 hours total. Any recommendations for a hike with a great view somewhat close to phoenix? I would prefer not to propose with the city below us if possible :) Any help is greatly appreciated!
te_wa
Guides: 3 | Official Routes: 0
Triplogs Last: 288 days ago | RS: 2
Water Reports 1Y: 0 | Last: 488 days ago
City, State: Mesa

Re: Romantic view

Post by te_wa »

south mountain, national trail. wait till dusk.
squirrel!
PaleoRob
Guides: 172 | Official Routes: 77
Triplogs Last: 7 days ago | RS: 9
Water Reports 1Y: 1 | Last: 167 days ago
City, State: Pocatello, ID

Post by PaleoRob »

I proposed to my wife at the South Rim, but that's probably a bit far for you. Maybe somewhere up by Sedona? I know that's a bit further, but its certainly doable from Phoenix in 5-6 hours.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon
Dschur
Guides: 13 | Official Routes: 0
Triplogs Last: 1,821 days ago | RS: 0
City, State: Payson, AZ

Post by Dschur »

My husband proposed to me on the top of Granite mountain in Prescott. It will be special where ever it is....
PrestonSands
Guides: 169 | Official Routes: 87
Triplogs Last: 4 days ago | RS: 0
Water Reports 1Y: 10 | Last: 4 days ago
City, State: Oro Valley, AZ

Post by PrestonSands »

The edge of the Mogollon Rim makes a great place. Either along the road to Woods Canyon Lake, or Milk Ranch Point (though they may still be closed due to snow).
The tops of Mt. Peeley, or Brown's Peak (both in the Mazatzals) are pretty sweet. Maybe Picketpost.
I proposed to my wife at the Military Sinkhole overlook along the Rim, near Woods Canyon Lake, at sunset. Very memorable!
Good luck, man!
"As soon as I can I’m sneaking back in them mountains..." -Johnny Paycheck
Chapman
Guides: 2 | Official Routes: 0
Triplogs Last: 283 days ago | RS: 0

Post by Chapman »

I went up to the south rim also to propose and ate lunch at el tovar which was special for us. The best part is beaver street brewery for some late night fun up in Flag.
joebartels
Guides: 250 | Official Routes: 225
Triplogs Last: 3 days ago | RS: 1088
Water Reports 1Y: 19 | Last: 22 days ago

Post by joebartels »

Wow, I really enjoyed this years post John. Definitely look forward to 2009 :lol:

The Rim Trail Preston mentions is about as nice as Arizona gets for views. That's my profile photo admiring down into the abyss. I think Denny mentioned the road was closed there last week so you'd need to hike up just to get to the rim. May be a little far for your preference.

You can't get away from civilized views in Sedona but Cathedral Rock is sunset heaven. However it's kind of popular.

Closer to the valley I think Canyon Lake Massif is a nice spot. Especially at the end by the fluorescent lime algae rock overlook.
- joe

Return to “Looking for a Hike”