Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
no avatar
formertexan
City, State: phoenix, az

hiking partner over July 4th weekend

Post by formertexan » Jul 02 2008 6:10 am

I'm new to the region (in central Phoenix) and have made a couple of brief forays around the edges of the western Superstitions. Looking for someone to lead/second a more extensive day hike. Considering 10-14 miles. Perhaps Hieroglyphic Canyon up to FlatIron or something equivalent. The trails and parking seem underutilized this time of year.

Cheers,
Bill

rally_toad
City, State: Boulder City, NV

Re: hiking partner over July 4th weekend

Post by rally_toad » Jul 02 2008 8:06 am

Its going to be hot as heck out there on July 4. Probably at least 110 degrees. Might be a better idea to head up to the Rim or to Flagstaff to do some hiking. Its not the time for extensive day hikes in the supes. This time of year you have to get out there very early and be out by 8 or 9 am or hike at night.
"Who are you guys??!!" -Farnsworth

te_wa
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Jul 02 2008 8:16 am

it can be done. some work outside all day and I did it for 12 years, with a hard hat on to boot. Hiking is no harder than swinging a hammer in 110°
the question is... why would anyone want to?
:D

nonot
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by nonot » Jul 02 2008 7:38 pm

Trails and parking are underutilized because of the extreme heat. Bring 3 gallons of water and salt tablets for your 14 mile dayhike. Since you're new to the Phoenix summer you may want to consider scheduling the rescue team ahead of time, you may get a discount.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

SuperstitionGuy
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Jul 03 2008 5:03 am

Before you begin your trek, please take out a $100,000 insurance policy with HAZ as the beneficary.
We could use some new disk arrays for all the high res pictures HAZ users are posting.
:thanx:
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

SuperstitionGuy

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Jul 09 2008 5:53 am

Does anyone know if Bill made it back?
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.

SuperstitionGuy

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Jul 14 2008 2:22 pm

Bill, did you go or not? I did not want to hurt your feelings with my first post but it's very dangerous hiking the sups this time of year.

no avatar
formertexan
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by formertexan » Jul 18 2008 7:55 am

Geez, you guys sound like summer was invented yesterday. Anyway, went up Heiroglyphics Canyon to the ridge and then along the ridge line for a mile or two before turning around. Yeh, its hot, but with acclimatization and some fluid in the knapsack, there is no reason not to enjoy summer hiking.

Here's a helpful tip (my wife's invention). Pitch a few liters of water and sports drink in the freezer the night before a hike and load the frozen plastic bottles into the pack on the following morning. By mid-day when the sun is cooking they are thawing enough to drink, but are still ice cold.

snakemarks
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by snakemarks » Jul 19 2008 3:26 pm

Sorry, Tex... Unless you are really Clarke Kent, you're gonna have to prove it to this desert rat. Got photos? We live for those. And, we do enjoy summer hiking... We enjoy it at dawn, we enjoy it at dusk and we enjoy it elsewhere, because as a general rule, we enjoy living.

Thanks for the tip, though... I never thought of that one.
I'm at home in the wilderness... it's civilization I have problems with! ](*,)

base871
City, State: Tempe

Post by base871 » Jul 19 2008 7:22 pm

lets remember tho, just because he's new to the valley does not mean hes not acclimated yet. theres a big difference if somebody pushes a mop of tar on roofs for 50 hrs a week and somebody who pushes a pecil in the ac for 35. hiking is a alot easier for me, no toolbelts, no carrying studs on my shoulder , no hot nailguns. nobody screaming at me when i take a water break.
"The Edge. There really is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

nonot

Post by nonot » Jul 19 2008 7:24 pm

Sounds like you did about 5 miles, and did it in the morning, makes it a touch more believable. 3 times that length over the heat of the day takes a little more than a few frozen bottles of Gatorade.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

snakemarks

Post by snakemarks » Jul 19 2008 7:44 pm

base871 wrote:lets remember tho, just because he's new to the valley does not mean hes not acclimated yet. theres a big difference if somebody pushes a mop of tar on roofs for 50 hrs a week and somebody who pushes a pecil in the ac for 35. hiking is a alot easier for me, no toolbelts, no carrying studs on my shoulder , no hot nailguns. nobody screaming at me when i take a water break.
It is also worth noting that he is 20 years older than you. Think "dad".

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Jul 19 2008 8:00 pm

It's roughly 2.7mi to the ridge via Hiero with 2400ft gain. A mile either way on the ridge adds a few hundred feet gain. This is pretty much Piestewa twice. I see several fit people do this daily with little to no water, several in their fifties. I've done it in the past. Granted it's not super enjoyable but it's better than sitting around all summer! Everybody should use caution when hiking in the heat. It seems rather unfriendly to question the integrity of somebody that enjoys it.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jul 19 2008 8:07 pm

snakemarks wrote: It is also worth noting that he is 20 years older than you. Think "dad".
I hope you don't mean this the way it sounds.

snakemarks

Post by snakemarks » Jul 19 2008 9:01 pm

big_load wrote:
snakemarks wrote: It is also worth noting that he is 20 years older than you. Think "dad".
I hope you don't mean this the way it sounds.
I don't know... how does it sound? I only wish to point out that 52 is not 32 and "dad" is not an insult, but a reference for perspective. No matter how well you maintain your level of fitness, you cannot do what you did 20 years ago (assuming of course that you were not a couch potato 20 years ago). Can you? I am 50, so I have my own experience here. Not comparing one individual's fitness level to another's, but in the broadest sense, given an equal playing field, as adults we simply cannot compete with our children. I may be in better shape than a tragic number of 20 somethings, but that's not an equal playing field. I can never beat what I was at 20, or 30, or 40 and neither can you. Aging is part of living for everyone. But, we on this site fight this kicking and screaming and it definitely shows. We refuse to take it lying down and that keeps us head and shoulders above average America. It just can't keep us head and shoulders above our own personal best. For many of us, that is in the past to stay. Try as I might and wish as I may, my 50 will never be my 30. That's just how it is. I'm OK with it.

snakemarks

Post by snakemarks » Jul 19 2008 9:18 pm

I lied. I am not OK with it. But, until they come up with another alternative, it's pretty much my only choice.

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jul 19 2008 9:24 pm

snakemarks wrote:Can you? ... and wish as I may, my 50 will never be my 30. That's just how it is.
I'll be 49 in a couple weeks. I've lost some speed, but not much strength and no endurance. If that's not true for you, too bad, but I wouldn't necessarily assume that you couldn't make that trip because of your age alone. Having less capability is quite different from lacking sufficient capability for the task at hand. The year before last I ended a week-long backpack with a 15 miler in 110+ degrees and a couple thousand feet of elevation gain. I was the youngster on that trip. The first two guys to finish that day were both over 65. I'm sure they had lost a step or two also, but they had everything they needed to get the job done.

base871
City, State: Tempe

Post by base871 » Jul 19 2008 11:29 pm

your only as old as you feel. ive got guys on my crew in their 40's and 50's who can run circles around me.
"The Edge. There really is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

Davis2001r6
City, State: Suffolk, UK

Post by Davis2001r6 » Jul 20 2008 9:17 am

The average age of the participants in the Badwater Ultramarathon last week was 47. Think 135 mile through Death Valley in the middle of summer.

Heck Arizoneheat and partner beat all of us out of the canyon by a good hour yesterday, no race or anything they are just FAST.

Grasshopper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Grasshopper » Jul 20 2008 10:20 am

formertexan wrote:Looking for someone to lead/second a more extensive day hike. Considering 10-14 miles.
What I want to know is: what HIKE are we going to recommend on July 4th for this "formertexan"?! :GB:
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

Return to “Looking for a Hike”