Something nice and mellow in the Sedona area...

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Moodrets
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Something nice and mellow in the Sedona area...

Post by Moodrets » Mar 12 2009 6:25 pm

that can be done by those in their mid-eighties (took the grandparents up north for their anniversary). We're leaving tomorrow so if nobody posts anything come 18 hours from now then don't bother, as by then it'll already be too late.

I took them to West Fork today and they were fine throughout the whole thing, but I'm looking for something a little less wet (err, grandma's balance issues required that I half-held her hand half carried her, while walking backwards across the rather unstable logs used to cross the rivers. Only fell in once though! And she not a single time! ;D).

I was thinking of doing Bell Rock Courthouse Butte Loop with them after I jog through AB young early in the morning, but would it be slippery given the deluge currently plaguing sedona? I'd really rather it not be slippery...

JimmyLyding
City, State: Walnut Creek, CA

Re: Something nice and mellow in the Sedona area...

Post by JimmyLyding » Mar 12 2009 7:15 pm

Just got back from 3 days/2 nights in Oak Creek Canyon. It was raining pretty good when I left this afternoon, and it looked like it was going to be a serious storm.
How about Wilson Canyon? I did part of that this afternoon, and it certainly seemed mellow. Only a few step-ups, but it may be wet.

hippiepunkpirate
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Post by hippiepunkpirate » Mar 12 2009 8:19 pm

Bell Rock Courthouse Butte should be fine...Oak Creek Canyon stays wet a lot longer than the exposed areas down by the monuments. Broken Arrow is definitely a good option as well. Maybe the Huckaby Trail, it may be less crowded than Bell/Courthouse or Broken Arrow. Fay Canyon is cool, though the arch is kind of a push and the end (and best part!) is kind of overgrown.
My website: Mountain Tripper
I also write for: Territory Supply

PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Mar 12 2009 9:18 pm

If they're into ancient Indian ruins, you could have 'em check out Honanki and Palatki - generally flat and dry.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

Return to “Looking for a Hike”