humphrey's peak

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
pickelltree
City, State: alexandra, egypt

humphrey's peak

Post by pickelltree » Mar 25 2009 10:38 pm

does anyone know if there is still enough snow on the peak to snow shoe to the summit? if there is does anyone want to rider up there this weekend?

Moodrets
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: humphrey's peak

Post by Moodrets » Mar 26 2009 6:42 am

I've been waiting to do this hike for quite a while, but my complete lack of proper snow-equipment makes it difficult to do so while it still hasn't thawed. If the snow has melted, though, then I might very well be hiking it myself. ;D

But I would imagine that there's still snow up there. I was in Sedona 2 weeks ago and could see the San Francisco peaks, and they were still quite heavily blanketed in snow.

te_wa
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Mar 26 2009 7:34 am

im going to Flagstaff in about 1/2 hour... Jhodlof will likely beat me to it, but i'll let you know what the peaks look like. peace, mike
:D

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Mar 26 2009 7:46 am

There's plenty of snow up there. First of all, Snowbowl is still open for skiing. Secondly, the snowtel station is reporting 46" at 9700ft in the Inner Basin. There are several webcams in Flagstaff which show that there's still plenty of snow, even on the south facing slopes.

But as te-wa stated, jhodlof will have the best answer for you. He may have information on specific routes.

Keep in mind that if you do choose to head up there, there's a permit required to access the peaks in the wintertime. You can get it at Snowbowl or the FS office in Flag.
Profound observer

Jim_H
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Jim_H » Mar 26 2009 10:06 am

South slopes as seen from town are almost completely bare below 11,000'. I haven't seen other aspects of the peaks since I was last up there on the 15th. If taking the Dutchman route I describe, and given the melting we have had, I would say that you can use the snowshoes if you want to, but can probably get away without using them. Crampons or just boots going up are probably sufficient and you might just use boots all the way down. We haven't had snow in 5 or 6 weeks, so the season is pretty much over. Unless we get a welcomed freak snow in the next few weeks, its going to be dry to monsoon season and the snow will continue to deteriorate. That will mean a mixed bag in general, but with a dense surface corn layer that will require nothing more than a water resistant boot.
Technically the permit is required until April 15, but at this point I would skip it. Your call.
:o

pickelltree
City, State: alexandra, egypt

Post by pickelltree » Mar 26 2009 2:02 pm

if that is the case i think i might skip, i was hoping for another reason to use the snow shoes i just bought for my yosemite trip (which by the way was great and there was plenty of snow at the badger pass area). i am also thinking is there a way to get to the inner basin and climb up that way, i am sure the snow has got to be better on that side?

Crocodile Ryan
City, State: Tempe, Az

Post by Crocodile Ryan » Mar 26 2009 2:09 pm

Inner Basin Trail - I think, but may be wrong, that the easiest way would be from lockett meadow

http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=912

or

http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=299
An adventure is merely an inconvience rightly considered

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Mar 26 2009 3:45 pm

Forest Road 552, which is the road that leads to the Inner Basin trailhead is closed in winter. You can hike it if you'd like, its only about 3 miles, though like the trail itself, there's a good elevation gain, and there probably isn't any snow, at least on the bottom half of FR 552. The Coconino NF website publishes notices when the roads are opened.
Profound observer

Return to “Looking for a Hike”