My summer just opened up

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
rally_toad
City, State: CA

My summer just opened up

Post by rally_toad » Apr 02 2009 4:57 pm

Just got news that my sierra club trip to Northwestern Alaska has been canceled due to us not being able to use the mining company's airstrip :( Im pretty dissapointed.
Anyway now my summer just opened up bigtime, any suggestions on cool places to go? I'm debating among several including: Denali, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Sequioa, The wind river range, or Frank-Church River of no return, or heading up to the Rockies in Colorado. Well anyway throw out your suggestions. I need to get it figured out.

I'm just so bummed, I was really looking forward to getting up to the Arctic Circle.
"Who are you guys??!!" -Farnsworth

JimmyLyding
City, State: Walnut Creek, CA

Re: My summer just opened up

Post by JimmyLyding » Apr 02 2009 5:16 pm

North Cascades NP

te_wa
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Apr 02 2009 5:19 pm

Point Reyes, then San Juan Wilderness then the Weminuche, finish with a trip to Glaciers.
:D

JoelHazelton
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by JoelHazelton » Apr 02 2009 5:49 pm

San francisco peaks, blue range primitive area, fossil creek ;)
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

http://www.joelhazelton.com

Crocodile Ryan
City, State: Tempe, Az

Post by Crocodile Ryan » Apr 02 2009 6:45 pm

come on now, your summers not gonna be that bad..... a trip to glacier is still in there

Personally I would do the blue range, start at KP cienega, drop down to the blue and make my way into NM, head south hit hannah canyon and see the hot springs, then head back to KP via rose mtn

THEN

I would drive over into NM and go to chaco canyon
An adventure is merely an inconvience rightly considered

azdesertfather
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by azdesertfather » Apr 02 2009 7:17 pm

rally_toad wrote:Just got news that my sierra club trip to Northwestern Alaska has been canceled due to us not being able to use the mining company's airstrip :( Im pretty dissapointed.
Anyway now my summer just opened up bigtime, any suggestions on cool places to go? I'm debating among several including: Denali, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Sequioa, The wind river range, or Frank-Church River of no return, or heading up to the Rockies in Colorado. Well anyway throw out your suggestions. I need to get it figured out.

I'm just so bummed, I was really looking forward to getting up to the Arctic Circle.
OHHHHHHH, the single life!! :D
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." — Henry David Thoreau

Davis2001r6
City, State: Bordeaux, France

Post by Davis2001r6 » Apr 03 2009 6:46 am

Yosemite, High Sierra or John Muir trail and a trip to the San Juans in CO.

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 03 2009 7:37 am

Sierras, with east side approach, such as Shepherd Pass, to Lake South America and beyond. Use Muir Freeway to get to less crowded areas.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

rally_toad

Post by rally_toad » Apr 03 2009 9:17 am

Yep Im still looking forward to Glacier, its just that I was so stoked for this Alaska trip.

I might have to just spend a week or two in Blue Range primitive area and wilderness on the NM side, that area seems pretty cool with wolves, black bears, and such and its relatively close. Thanks for the suggestions. Keep em coming.
Some other places I really wanted to explore include the high uintas im Utah, and some areas around the north rim on the AZ strip.

JoelHazelton
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by JoelHazelton » Apr 03 2009 9:48 am

The Blue Range is remarkable. Just about as remote as you can find in Arizona and sooo much to explore, not to mention the storybook landscape. I camped next to a bunch of wild turkeys who were running around all evening and fell asleep to the sound of howling coyotes, then ran into a herd of elk the next day on the hike out after dodging bear dung the entire time. Oh yeah, I never saw another person.
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

http://www.joelhazelton.com

Crocodile Ryan
City, State: Tempe, Az

Post by Crocodile Ryan » Apr 03 2009 1:47 pm

One thing I wonder about the Blue this summer is how the trails will look, they were usually pretty primitive and thats when the Blue Crew was working
An adventure is merely an inconvience rightly considered

hippiepunkpirate
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Post by hippiepunkpirate » Apr 07 2009 9:44 am

I was reading about the High Uintas last night...sounds like they're kind of secluded with typically two to three days required to summit any of the 12ers/13ers. Maybe a great opportunity for solitude! From the pics I've looked at of the High Uintas, it seems like incredibly unique and gorgeous country.
My website: Mountain Tripper
I also write for: Territory Supply

kidcop25
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by kidcop25 » Apr 07 2009 3:41 pm

I love the san juans.....the continental divide is awsome....There is numerous hot springs to soak your feet as you climb up Rainbow Ridge between wolf creek pass and pagosa springs.....

PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Apr 07 2009 3:44 pm

Do something totally mad and unexpected for summer. Drop into The Maze for two weeks. Or The Swell. Hike the full length of the Escalante, and have someone pick you up by boat (preferably a houseboat with cold beers and a bed). But then again, I'm a desert rat. Mountains are okay, but as for me...
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

rally_toad

Post by rally_toad » Apr 07 2009 5:15 pm

PageRob wrote:Drop into The Maze for two weeks.
Oddly enough I was considering doing just that a few days ago. Drive to Hans flat Ranger station and walk the 4x4 road in or hitch a ride. Spend a good week at least. Want to come?

I have been in the high uintas before, but just the short trails never backpacking, I really would love to go out there, lakes and mountain streams and stuff, sounds like just the place to be in mid august.

PaleoRob

Post by PaleoRob » Apr 07 2009 5:42 pm

rally_toad wrote:
PageRob wrote:Drop into The Maze for two weeks.
Oddly enough I was considering doing just that a few days ago. Drive to Hans flat Ranger station and walk the 4x4 road in or hitch a ride. Spend a good week at least. Want to come?
Would I ever! Whether I'd be able to is another question all together (wife, job, etc.). But keep me in the loop, because I sure as hell am interested.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual

RedRoxx44
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 » Apr 07 2009 6:23 pm

HIgh Uintas---My experience there has been two trips. Christmas Meadow and Ryder Lake etc those basin are absolutely awesome and beautiful. My last trip loop was also good Red Castle, Oweep basin. In summer get ready for mosquitos.
The Wind Rivers--well what can I say---one of the most awesome high country destinations ever.
Also I like the Gila Wilderness--lacks the wow factor of some but some unspoiled untrammeled wilderness and you can hike backpack some loooong loops in there. The River Forks trek was my favorite---60+ miles.

The Maze---I love the Dollhouse area and down to the Colorado and hike along the river. Also into the heart of the maze is fun. Shot and Water canyons are neat. I need to do more exploring in Ernie's Country and the fins. My favorite car camp site is Dollhouse 3 by the Needles' Eye Tower. The hike to the Colorado overlook I did in a rainstorm and it was very neat.
I've been there several times although not in the last few years.

If I had all summer----month in Utah, month in New Mexico and month in either Montana or Idaho.

TM1ssKDMac
City, State: Joseph City, Arizona

Post by TM1ssKDMac » Apr 08 2009 7:44 pm

The San Juans in SW Colorado are awesome in August!
Kelly D. McLaughlin

te_wa
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Apr 08 2009 8:33 pm

azpride wrote:I camped next to a bunch of wild turkeys who were running around all evening
that happens to me every time i go on a HAZ group hike. bunch of turkeys! :D
:D

PaleoRob

Post by PaleoRob » Apr 08 2009 8:37 pm

Sometimes some Wild Turkey appears on group hikes, but I don't know how it gets there...

Oh, wait, wild turkeys, like with feathers! Gottcha...
-Old Spiritual

Return to “Looking for a Hike”