My summer just opened up

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
rally_toad
City, State: CA

My summer just opened up

Post by rally_toad » Apr 02 2009 4:57 pm

Just got news that my sierra club trip to Northwestern Alaska has been canceled due to us not being able to use the mining company's airstrip :( Im pretty dissapointed.
Anyway now my summer just opened up bigtime, any suggestions on cool places to go? I'm debating among several including: Denali, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Sequioa, The wind river range, or Frank-Church River of no return, or heading up to the Rockies in Colorado. Well anyway throw out your suggestions. I need to get it figured out.

I'm just so bummed, I was really looking forward to getting up to the Arctic Circle.
"Who are you guys??!!" -Farnsworth

sarichter
City, State: phoenix, az

Re: My summer just opened up

Post by sarichter » May 23 2009 7:48 am

dshillis wrote:
rally_toad wrote:Just got news that my sierra club trip to Northwestern Alaska has been canceled due to us not being able to use the mining company's airstrip :( Im pretty dissapointed.
Anyway now my summer just opened up bigtime, any suggestions on cool places to go? I'm debating among several including: Denali, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Sequioa, The wind river range, or Frank-Church River of no return, or heading up to the Rockies in Colorado. Well anyway throw out your suggestions. I need to get it figured out.

I'm just so bummed, I was really looking forward to getting up to the Arctic Circle.
OHHHHHHH, the single life!! :D
that is if you don't have adventurous family members :)

Moodrets
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Moodrets » May 24 2009 7:47 am

Haha, I think I'm in much a similar position as you -- I had planned to go on a road trip of sorts with a few friends (which I might still do if I can find someone. I suppose I can set out alone, as well, though. I'd like to explore the western seaboard, as I'll be leaving for an eastern college in the fall and won't have as many chances to investigate the west in the coming years), but it doesn't seem like they'll be very available, so I have my entire summer quite free (and I would have had most of it regardless -- the aforementioned trip probably wouldn't have taken us longer than a month).

But anyways, I too am in the market for backpacking trips. Perhaps ones a little closer (errr, within the state) as I'm still a bit of a novice when it comes to multi-day treks. So far the one's I've considered to start off with have been a few mentioned here, "Fish Creek" in the White Mountains, Cabin Loop, General Crook, and various cooler sections of the AZ trail.

Once I have a few local trips under my belt then I think I'll broaden my horizons, so to speak, and start looking for things out of state.

So, if you're looking for a backpacking partner and are willing to put up with my initial maladroitness then let me know. I've still many things to experience in the field when it comes to backpacking (since I'd never been in the boyscouts as a tyke and only recently managed to acquire a car, I've only done a few overnighters) but I've a lot of experiences with day hikes and have bottomless reserves of endurance and energy. ;)

pickelltree
City, State: alexandra, egypt

Post by pickelltree » Jun 02 2009 4:47 pm

rally_toad, have you got plans yet? sw is having a sale on airfare and i have the itch to get out.

rally_toad
City, State: CA

Post by rally_toad » Jun 02 2009 6:21 pm

Yep. Im working in Petrified Forest for the summer.
"Who are you guys??!!" -Farnsworth

Sun_Ray
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Sun_Ray » Jun 02 2009 7:12 pm

This year I cancelled a trip to Denali because of the expense. Yellowstone is the BEST. Visited and hiked 2 years ago and it's very diversified in geography and wildlife. If you have not been I'd put Yellowstone at the top of your list.
Brian
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday......there is no SOMEDAY!

pickelltree
City, State: alexandra, egypt

Post by pickelltree » Jun 02 2009 9:29 pm

i went there last fall, it WAS the best. i plan to go again, i liked it when it was cold so there was not any crowds at all, but it was cold. did you fly there or drive, i flew to salt lake and rented a car, but i heard there was a flight out of gilbert or chandler to cody, any body know about that.

PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Jun 02 2009 9:35 pm

rally_toad wrote:Yep. Im working in Petrified Forest for the summer.
Nice!
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

Return to “Looking for a Hike”