Best dayhikes near Phoenix to escape the summer heat?

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Moodrets
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Best dayhikes near Phoenix to escape the summer heat?

Post by Moodrets » May 08 2009 8:29 pm

So, as summer draws near and the daytime highs creep ever further into the 100s, I find myself in need of nearby places where the temps aren't too terrible (say, highs in the 80s) to sate my hiking urges. Preferably within 100 miles of central phoenix -- I'd like to not have to drive to flag or wherever (that's where 2+ day trips come in) if all I'll be doing is hiking for half a dozen hours.

Anyone have any favorite summer spots they'd be willing to share?

JimmyLyding
City, State: Walnut Creek, CA

Re: Best dayhikes near Phoenix to escape the summer heat?

Post by JimmyLyding » May 08 2009 8:37 pm

My previous attempt at posting didn't work. Look at anything off of FR 201 in the Mazatzals (Davey Gowan, upper Deer Creek/South Fork, etc.) or the Pinals south of Globe. You could also check out the hikes near Prescott like Groom Creek loop or something on top of Mingus Mountain

rally_toad
City, State: CA

Post by rally_toad » May 08 2009 8:57 pm

Highs in the 80s is going to be hard to find, even in and around Payson.... maybe Four Peaks?

Your best bet is just get up early or hike at night to beat the heat.
"Who are you guys??!!" -Farnsworth

dysfunction
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by dysfunction » May 08 2009 9:04 pm

Highs in the Catalina's and Santa Rita's are in the 80's.. tops ;)
mike

"Solvitur ambulando" or maybe by brewers.

azdesertfather
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by azdesertfather » May 08 2009 9:11 pm

could always go out around Pinal Peak, SW of Globe...Sixshooter's TH is at 7,500 feet...Pineline to Signal Peak gets you up to 8,000...
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." — Henry David Thoreau

Grasshopper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Grasshopper » May 08 2009 9:22 pm

JamesLyding wrote: Look at anything off of FR 201 in the Mazatzals (Davey Gowan, upper Deer Creek/South Fork, etc.)
Forget these above (Jim is trying to get you lost!! :) ).. Here is the best bet at the end of FR201 at the Mt. Peeley TH, the Mt. Peeley Summit Hike: http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=479 This one will get you above 7000' at the summit! (I don't recommend you drive a sedan in on FR201, but most anything else should be OK as long as this very scenic FR is dry).
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

joebartels

Post by joebartels » May 08 2009 9:30 pm

If you go, start way earlier than 10am. I nearly passed out from the heat up there on June 1st last year :sweat:
http://hikearizona.com/TLOGS_JUMP.php?ID=37558

For refreshingly cooler in the summer it's going to be at least a 3 hour drive from Phoenix. You can get to noticeably cooler in 2 hours but it's just not the same IMO.
- joe

JimmyLyding
City, State: Walnut Creek, CA

Post by JimmyLyding » May 08 2009 9:38 pm

I'm not trying to get you lost, but Hank is right that the Davey Gowan- and the upper portions of Deer Creek/South Fork trails are pretty bad.

JoelHazelton

Post by JoelHazelton » May 08 2009 10:36 pm

Drive to camp verde and hike one of the creeks. It'll still be hot as hell, but you'll be in nice cool water.

Big Bug Mesa area will give you some pine trees and is a quick drive from the north valley. Check out Grapevine Springs or Little Wolf Creek. Not highs in the 80's but at least pines.
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

http://www.joelhazelton.com

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » May 09 2009 7:36 am

Grasshopper wrote:
JamesLyding wrote: Look at anything off of FR 201 in the Mazatzals (Davey Gowan, upper Deer Creek/South Fork, etc.)
Forget these above (Jim is trying to get you lost!! :) ).. Here is the best bet at the end of FR201 at the Mt. Peeley TH, the Mt. Peeley Summit Hike: http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=479 This one will get you above 7000' at the summit! (I don't recommend you drive a sedan in on FR201, but most anything else should be OK as long as this very scenic FR is dry).
As long at it is DRY! is the operative statement here. Some of that road turns to a layer of gumbo in any kind of moisture.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

Grasshopper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Grasshopper » May 09 2009 8:11 am

Sredfield wrote:As long at it is DRY! is the operative statement here. Some of that road turns to a layer of gumbo in any kind of moisture.
;) ..very true! I remember that you did need a "tow" here recently and back in Feb'07 I managed to get four of us in a Honda CR-V stuck in the snow for 2.hrs (~8mls in at 4800') on this FR201..
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

Dschur
City, State: Payson, AZ

Post by Dschur » May 09 2009 11:58 am

Yeah even here in Payson we get to the 100s in June and July before the monsoon hits. The thing is it cools down at night. It will be in the high 50-60s. So if you are out in the early morning not too bad. Right now at noon it is 88 degrees..
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

Moodrets

Post by Moodrets » May 09 2009 1:41 pm

Ah, that sounds fairly mild, actually. I'll probably do something there tomorrow morning, or perhaps at one of the other places suggested in this thread.

I'm typically up fairly early (~5ish), though I can easily wake up earlier if need there be, so I guess for <4 hour hikes it won't be too hard to beat the heat.

And I've been stuck on FR201 too! I went up there over in my prius (the quintessential ATV, right?) when it was snowed and iced for a backpacking trip and had to dig my car out half a dozen times (we kept trying at the behest of my backpacking partner, who didn't want to walk to the th). Finally, we managed to get ourselves in such a rut, with part of the car almost hanging off the edge and us sliding ever closer off the cliff with every attempt at freedom, that we just parked it off the side of the road in a pullout area of sorts and began walking, haha (after being towed to safety by some helpful stranger, that is)

Return to “Looking for a Hike”