Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
no avatar
gygeek
City, State: Tucson

Bisbee

Post by gygeek » Nov 05 2009 8:34 am

I'm looking for hikes closest to Bisbee. Did a search here and found nothing, although it wasn't a thorough search since I just logged on yesterday. Any ideas?

That said, this site is awesome!! I can't believe this doesn't come up near the top on the search engines, but I know you have to pay for that, or something of the sort. I can see myself coming here a lot to find 2 and 3 day trips.

JoelHazelton
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Bisbee

Post by JoelHazelton » Nov 05 2009 8:39 am

What kind of hike? How closeby? The San Pedro River is really close. There are some short hikes near the San Pedro House where the river has really got some nice volume (cascades and deep pools), and as you get farther downstream (north) it seems to mellow out, but is equally as beautiful. Go during late november/december and you'll get some nice colors around the river.

The Dragoons and Huachucas are also in that same area as Bisbee.
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

http://www.joelhazelton.com

Jeffshadows
City, State: Old Pueblo

Post by Jeffshadows » Nov 05 2009 9:39 am

Your best bet is to look to the Miller Peak area, lots more to do there. It will require a short drive. I think the closest one to Bisbee itself is in the hills as you first come into town, but a lot of that land is privately owned by mining interests so keep an eye out for signs, etc. I've heard a lot of the locals do the waterways in those hills to avoid private property...
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

Bradshaws

Post by Bradshaws » Sep 09 2014 4:26 pm

I'm taking the wife for a weekend getaway and she(and I ;) ) have wanted to check out Bisbee for awhile :)
I've book a room(The Loft, I think) and have MY or our 8-[ hikes planned out but I haven't been to Bisbee for.... well... :-k ... 30 years :lol: so I need some help on what to do, more importantly where to eat. We'll be there 2 nights so we want to see it ALL :D The mine tour and ghost tour are on the agenda but there seems to be SO much more I'm missing. I know that a lot of HAZers frequent Bisbee and I would love your opinions.

I would also like to know where to avoid as well ;)

Thanks
“ you know what I think?... It doesn’t matter what I think”

jochal
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by jochal » Sep 09 2014 5:06 pm

@Bradshaws
My wife and I stayed at the Letson Loft (I assume thats what you mean) back in November. We liked it a lot.

We never really got past the touristy section of Bisbee, but weren't trying that hard. We ate at a restaurant recommended to us, the Bisbee Table I think, and to be honest I was disappointed. It wasn't bad, just nothing special. Sorry I can't be much more help on where to go.

I liked the Bisbee Mining and Historical Museum, in the old Phelps Dodge building.

Bradshaws

Post by Bradshaws » Sep 09 2014 5:49 pm

@jochal
That's where we're staying (where did you park? It didn't look like the hotel has it's own parking) :) and thank you for the restaurant info. That was one of the places we were considering but I wasn't sold on :?

The brewery, the Vietnamese place and one of the pizza places are others we want to check out.
“ you know what I think?... It doesn’t matter what I think”

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Sep 09 2014 6:17 pm

Cafe Roka is nice for a fancy meal. Santiago's was fairly satisfying.

DarthStiller

Post by DarthStiller » Sep 09 2014 10:13 pm

Copper Queen Hotel probably had some the better food I ever had there. There was a nice little Mexican take out joint across from City Hall in the Warren area of town, but that was 13 years ago.

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Sep 09 2014 10:22 pm

I can't remember the name of the place in the Copper Queen Plaza. It was pretty good, and it was open on Sunday night.

jochal

Post by jochal » Sep 09 2014 10:28 pm

@Bradshaws
It doesn't have parking of its own. We parked in the lots digging into the hill behind the hotel. The parking rules governing them weren't in force the day we were there (a Sunday night.) Worst case, you can park in the short term parking while you unload, then the hotel owners will let you know where you can park overnight, probably in the lots to the East of the hotel.

Tough_Boots

Post by Tough_Boots » Sep 09 2014 10:55 pm

as long as you stay at the Shady Dell and drink at St. Elmo's, nothing else matters :D

(though, I had these pumpkin enchilada's at Santiago's once that were amazing)
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

neilends
City, State: Scottsdale

Post by neilends » Sep 10 2014 9:59 am

If you happen to be a baseball history nut, the Warren Baseball Field has a legitimate claim to being the nation's oldest "living" baseball stadium. (It competes with another small town stadium in Alabama for the title.) There is no tourism infrastructure in place if you swing by. The dugouts are there, and the old wooden grandstands. It's pretty cool to walk around, if you love baseball or history or both.

I am lucky enough to have been captain of a vintage baseball team called the Phoenix Senators, when we drove down and played the Bisbee Bees in a complete vintage re-creation of a 1910s baseball game. The umpire, who was dressed to the part (umps in that era dressed up like they were going to a formal ball), was the mayor of Bisbee. The stands were packed. It was awesome!
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." --John Adams

rwstorm
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by rwstorm » Sep 10 2014 10:01 am

@neilends
Way cool! :)
Onward into oblivion!

The_Eagle
City, State: Far NE Phoenix, Az

Post by The_Eagle » Sep 10 2014 10:05 am

@neilends
Any Photos?
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry

neilends
City, State: Scottsdale

Post by neilends » Sep 10 2014 4:20 pm

The Eagle wrote:@neilends
Any Photos?
In hindsight, I was a moron about documenting this really cool part of my life with photos. I am recognized even today as the "founder" of the Phoenix Senators, a team that still plays, but dropped out after a couple of years because I couldn't devote the time necessary to run the team. Even Phoenix Magazine did a feature on me and the team a few years ago!

Article which happens to have a photo of me here (second Senator from the left, head turned toward two umps):

http://archive.azcentral.com/news/artic ... 26-ON.html
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." --John Adams

PrestonSands
City, State: Oro Valley, AZ

Post by PrestonSands » Sep 12 2014 1:11 am

@gygeek
Bisbee's backyard:
http://hikearizona.com/decoder=2354
http://hikearizona.com/decoder=3171
http://hikearizona.com/decoder=15651
Mural Hill from Chihuahua Hill is a decent hike to a rocky summit overlooking Bisbee.
"I'm going for a coffee, but you never know when a hike might break out." -Jim Gaffigan

Return to “Looking for a Hike”