New To Hiking

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Hiker Girl
City, State: Mesa, AZ

New To Hiking

Post by Hiker Girl » Jan 28 2010 9:57 pm

My husband and I have recently begun hiking....quite honestly I've never done a trail besides Windcaves at Usery, Siphon Draw to FlatIron, and First Water Trail to Canyon Lake. We would love to find some easy-moderate hikes that are close by (30-45 minutes) to the East Mesa-Apache Junction area. Ideally it would be a trail with some pretty rocks, formations, caves, and whatnot. We don't really want to hike for a long period of time in just desert. Any suggestions would be awesome...we are probably doing Hieroglyphics Trail on Saturday morning.

Thanks in Advance.
"Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
--Anonymous

DarthStiller
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Re: New To Hiking

Post by DarthStiller » Jan 28 2010 10:09 pm

Most areas that aren't just desert will require a little bit of a longer drive, more like an hour to 90 minutes. The Pinal Mts. are a great area to get away from desert and not too long of a drive if you start from below. Driving up the beeline you can hit the Ballantine TH, or over to Cross F TH or Mormon Grove to access the mazatals. Those areas will start in desert and end up in semi-forested to heavily forested areas. Mormon Grove TH will require a 4WD, however.

JoelHazelton
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by JoelHazelton » Jan 28 2010 10:17 pm

Little Saddle Mountain trail in the Mazatzals is moderate and really scenic. Probably water there right now, too.
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

http://www.joelhazelton.com

rushthezeppelin
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by rushthezeppelin » Jan 29 2010 12:18 am

Taking peralta to freemont saddle and the view of Weaver's Needle is a nice moderate dayhike. If you think you can do the mileage you can even make a loop out of it as well.

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 29 2010 3:46 am

Don't the Pinals have a lot of snow right now? Just a thought... It won't last long, anyway.

The Peralta trailhead gives you several options, so you can keep going back there for more hikes. Crowded, though, until you pass about 2 or 3 miles in.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Jan 29 2010 8:30 am

Several beginner loops from First Water TH, which is where I did my first 9 mile hike and thought I was ready to sign on with Lewis and Clark. PIck up Stuart and Carlson's book on hiking in the Superstitions, if that doesn't pique your interest, nothing will.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

sirena
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by sirena » Jan 29 2010 9:30 am

azpride wrote:Little Saddle Mountain trail in the Mazatzals is moderate and really scenic. Probably water there right now, too.
I second this suggestion- I bet that area is just gorgeous right now, with all the precipitation we've had.
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view."
-Edward Abbey
http://www.desertsirena.wordpress.com

hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Jan 29 2010 11:24 am

kurt

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Jan 29 2010 11:48 am

Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Jan 29 2010 12:41 pm

The mapping features are getting pretty fancy! Maybe robust would be a better word, but this stuff is incredible.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

Al_HikesAZ
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Jan 29 2010 12:51 pm

If you are going to go on Forest Roads - especially up on the Kiabab - I suggest having the Delorme Arizona Atlas on hand. If a tree is down blocking the road, you can navigate around it safely. I also carry a little emergency kit in my truck.
http://www.rei.com/product/675263?prefe ... erralID=NA
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

sirena
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by sirena » Jan 29 2010 8:21 pm

Sredfield wrote:The mapping features are getting pretty fancy! Maybe robust would be a better word, but this stuff is incredible.
How about "fancily robust"? :D I learn new cool stuff about this site all the time- thanks Joe!
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view."
-Edward Abbey
http://www.desertsirena.wordpress.com

JimmyLyding
City, State: Walnut Creek, CA

Post by JimmyLyding » Jan 29 2010 9:43 pm

I don't think the trails from the bottom of the Pinals qualify as "easy-moderate," but they're well worth the effort. Icehouse, Sixshooter, Telephone, and Kellner all feature gains of around 3,000 vertical feet.
Little Saddle Mountain from the Cross F trailhead is a great hike that allows one to go as far as one wants to.

tahosa
City, State: Fort Collins, CO

Post by tahosa » Feb 02 2010 8:34 am

San Tan Regional Park has some nice short trails with some good vistas, especially at sunset. Ballantine Trail is real neat, and some very intersting rock formations up there. But I think my favorite hike is the Cave Trail in the Sups, its one that I tracked out with nothing by a map and compass sometime in the last century with my kids.
If you ever want to take a hike I'm off on Mondays and Tuesday and will gladly take you on a hike. Just send a message.

thedudephx

Post by thedudephx » Mar 11 2010 10:27 am

Was up on little Saddle Mountain trail a few weeks back. Yes it is a great hike. Lots of water, feet get a little wet crossing the creek. Weather was warm during the day chilly at night.

Return to “Looking for a Hike”