Favorite Riparian Hike?

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
FreespiritAZ
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Favorite Riparian Hike?

Post by FreespiritAZ »

I just did Fossil Springs last weekend and I am looking to do another day hike or backpack the first weekend in May. I want to be able to swim in some nice cool water after working hard. Does anyone have any favorite riparian hikes that they would like to share?
chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Favorite Riparian Hike?

Post by chumley »

I think my list would be mostly in Norway. But that probably isn't of much use to the average HAZer. So I'll throw the Black River out there. There's several hikes along dozens of miles of two forks of it (and more "off-trail" options too), but I'll put this one down for its brevity, ease, and accessibility: West Fork 628
Championing breakfast since 1994.
JoelHazelton

Post by JoelHazelton »

West Fork of Black River could be a bit chilly the first week of May ;) But, it would be a great option later in the summer, along with Upper-Middle West Clear Creek (Maxwell, Tramway, Cash Tank), a through hike of West Fork Oak Creek, or Kinder Crossing.

For May, maybe check out Salome? If you don't feel like doing the entire canyon (with the rappel off the waterfall), swimming from the mouth of the canyon up to the base of the falls is still very rewarding.
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

http://www.joelhazelton.com
berkforbes
City, State: phoenix

Post by berkforbes »

Pretty much everything Azpride said. I bet also that the big dipper is pretty nice about that time.. Good flow this year of course with the wet winter..
"Rather love, than money, than fame, give me truth."
-Henry David Thoreau
te_wa
City, State: Mesa

Post by te_wa »

sycamore canyon is nice, as is the other sycamore canyon.
squirrel!
ssk44
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by ssk44 »

chumley wrote:So I'll throw the Black River out there.
I'll second that... Lost Basin is a great destination with easy river hiking, many backpacking campsites, and plenty of swimming holes. The elevation is low enough for May swimming.

http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=3053 (Black River at Lost Basin)

Edit... Scratch my suggestion for early May. The current CFS on the Black River is about 1,750 with no sign of dropping anytime soon due to late snow melt. Wading back and forth across the river is typically not safe above 100 CFS.
:scared:
Last edited by ssk44 on Apr 22 2010 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ISAIAH 6:2-3 / MATTHEW 11:28-30
Jeffshadows
City, State: Old Pueblo

Post by Jeffshadows »

Hutch's Pool from Sabino or the reservoir is always an option near Tucson.
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA
hippiepunkpirate
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Post by hippiepunkpirate »

After viewing a talk this afternoon on the native water springs of the Grand Canyon by park hydrologist (and NAU alumnus :D ) Steve Rice, I recommend doing a Grand Canyon riparian hike. Perhaps Roaring Springs?
My website: Mountain Tripper
I also write for: Territory Supply
azbackpackr
City, State: Flagstaff AZ

Post by azbackpackr »

Black River. Several good swimming holes. You can't get there right now, of course! Roads are still closed. Wait until late June through September. Water is cold. There are two good swim holes that are deep enough to climb up and jump off rocks.

Chevelon Canyon, during monsoon, between Chevelon Crossing and the dam.

Havasu Creek below Mooney Falls.

Hutch's Pool.

There are a bunch I haven't been to in central AZ. Clear Creek, Beaver Creek, Salome Creek, etc. etc. The list is endless...
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.
ssk44
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by ssk44 »

ssk44 wrote:Edit... Scratch my suggestion for early May. The current CFS on the Black River is about 1,750 with no sign of dropping anytime soon due to late snow melt. Wading back and forth across the river is typically not safe above 100 CFS.
Scratch my first suggestion! Wet Beaver Creek would be hard to beat for great swimming holes in May. The elevation is fairly low. It should be perfect.

http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=7 (Bell Trail)
ISAIAH 6:2-3 / MATTHEW 11:28-30
FreespiritAZ

Post by FreespiritAZ »

Well I can't wait to go to all these places. It looks like most of my weekends in June are now booked ;)
Azbackcountry
City, State: Az

Post by Azbackcountry »

I will agree with the Black River. Very beautiful place, and easily my most favorite place in Az!
Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker »

Below the dam at San Carlos. Parker and Coon Creek. Planning on another week long camping trip next week. Intend to hike some of the creek trails below the Mogollon Rim.
jk
Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker »

Might get a better response if yo define Riparian. During wilderness proposals the various land managers and opponets had a diferent opinion then the folks infavor of wilderness.
jk
skatchkins
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by skatchkins »

berkforbes wrote:I bet also that the big dipper is pretty nice about that time.. Good flow this year of course with the wet winter..
Oh it is :D
Just watch out for the poison ivy : rambo :
May he guide you through the wilderness : protect you through the storm;
May he bring you home rejoicing : at the wonders he has shown you;
Armchair Crisis Design
FreespiritAZ

Post by FreespiritAZ »

For me, riparian means along a creekside or near a water source of some sort. Pretty much I just want to encounter water somewhere along the hike. Typically around riparian areas there is more flora and fauna, which makes everything much more GREEN :)

The formal definition of riparian is:
relating to or living or located on the bank of a natural watercourse (as a river) or sometimes of a lake or a tidewater.
azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr »

Poison oak is funny. For example, along the Mainstem of the Black River it is not too awful along most stretches, but most of the side canyons, such as Bear Wallow are choked with it. But up on the West Fork/Thompson Trail there isn't any. Go figger. South Fork of the Little Colorado is bad, but only in spots, especially down low. Up further, where you might want to camp, it is not bad at all.

Some people are not allergic to it at all.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
pencak
City, State: Queen Creek, AZ

Post by pencak »

azbackpackr wrote:Some people are not allergic to it at all.
However, after repeated exposure they can become very sensitive to the stuff. People who are really allergic to it will get a rash just being downwind of it. It doesn't bother me but I started limiting exposure once I heard that you can get an accumulated sensitivity to it.
Pencak aka Larry Rudd
"I think I'm a verb"
Buckmaster Fuller
azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr »

I was wondering about that. My son works in the outdoors--he actually gets PAID to go backpacking. I know, life is tough sometimes. Anyway, he says he can walk barefoot through that stuff...

In Hawaii, I found out the hard way that mango trees have some of the same chemical. Even the mango skin itself. Over there it is called mango rash. It is exactly the same, although perhaps not as potent. I can eat mangos, but have to peel them first, then wash my hands very well. A friend of mine had to go to the hospital after raking and pruning her tree.
FreespiritAZ

Post by FreespiritAZ »

@azbackpackr
I lived in Puerto Rico for 2 and 1/2 years and also had the same issue with the mangos when I touched their skin. The mangoes became such a nuisance. They were always creating huge messes all over the sidewalks. They would just fall to the ground and rot and get all smashed which made avoiding them a little more difficult.

When I lived in Pennsylvannia I got poison ivy rash all the time. I was just a little kid in 1st and 2nd grade and wouldn't pay attention to the plants as I was wandering in the forests near my house. However, I have hiked all over Arizona and I have yet to get poison ivy (knock on wood).

Return to “Looking for a Hike”