Favorite Riparian Hike?

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
FreespiritAZ
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Favorite Riparian Hike?

Post by FreespiritAZ »

I just did Fossil Springs last weekend and I am looking to do another day hike or backpack the first weekend in May. I want to be able to swim in some nice cool water after working hard. Does anyone have any favorite riparian hikes that they would like to share?
azbackpackr
City, State: Flagstaff AZ

Re: Favorite Riparian Hike?

Post by azbackpackr »

Hi, Freespirit: Yes that mango rash is a nuisance. I lived out in the country all the time so had no pavement or sidewalks to worry about. But the mango trees are everywhere. If you want good mangos, though, you buy a tree at a nursery, such as Hayden mango, which my mother had in her yard, as opposed to the little "trash" mangos, which Hawaiians feed to the pigs and chickens. I did learn to eat mangos without getting a rash, as I've said, by washing carefully right after peeling them. However, I also got very tired of them. I remember making the most beautiful mango pie, it was just like a peach pie, but no one was too thrilled with it since we were all a bit tired of eating them.

I enjoy them now, though, since I seldom eat them. What I like even better are the small papayas, but for some reason they cost about $4 each. I really do not care for the large papayas, though--they have a strong, medicinal flavor.

As you know, the trees are huge, and during those pleasant hippie days of the 70's a lot of kids built treehouses in Hawaii and lived in them. I had a friend from Germany over there in Hawaii. He had a two story treehouse in a big mango tree which he was living in.

I got the worst rash last time I was back home in San Diego, this past Christmas. I was mtn. biking through some brush along a river. Since it was winter there were no tell-tale leaves to watch for, but the poison oak rash I got was awful, and lasted over a month.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.
pencak
City, State: Queen Creek, AZ

Post by pencak »

Papayas are good but the only really good ones come from Hawaii. The one's I get in Central America are those big pithy things. Another thing papayas are good for (when they are not completely ripe yet) is to get rid of the sting of a Man-of-War jellyfish. I got stung by one before over 50% of my body (had difficulty breathing) and the doctor at the Hawaiian clinic put Adolf's Meat Tenderizer on it. I asked him why and he said that it's because it has papaya in it.

The sting from that jellyfish was like getting individually stung by 1,000 angry bees. :stretch: I guess we're pretty far off topic for Riparian Habitats by now.

Anyway, I don't think Adolf's Meat Tenderizer will do much for poison Ivy found in Riparian Habitats. But then again, I've never seen anybody try it.
Pencak aka Larry Rudd
"I think I'm a verb"
Buckmaster Fuller
azbackpackr
City, State: Flagstaff AZ

Post by azbackpackr »

There is no really good reason that the smaller papayas could not be grown in Central America. I supposed the people grow what they have always grown. Papayas are easy to grow. But if you try to plant the seeds from Hawaiian papayas you buy here they will not sprout because they have been irradiated to kill the fruit fly eggs. At least, that is what I have been told. All I know is the store ones won't grow.

What were we talking about, anyway? Oh, riparian hikes. Well that hike from Waipio to Waimanu on the Big Island takes you to Waiilikahi waterfall that is over 1,000 feet tall. That is one very long slog through the mud and pig poop to get there and it is wet when you get there, and wet all night and wet when you leave.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.
writelots
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by writelots »

Riparian hike that I most recently was awed, amazed and wooed by: Eagle Creek. Beauty!
-----------------------------------
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.- Barack Obama

Return to “Looking for a Hike”