Any good mountains to view fireworks from in Phoenix area?

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Moodrets
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Any good mountains to view fireworks from in Phoenix area?

Post by Moodrets » Jul 03 2010 9:20 am

Fairly self explanatory title, I'd like a mountain with good views (in terms of both proximity to and abundance of fireworks) of the fourth of july festivities, preferably one that won't be terribly crowded. It's a tall order, and I'm sure no one wants to surrender their favorite lookouts, but does anyone have any ideas?

base871
City, State: Tempe

Re: Any good mountains to view fireworks from in Phoenix are

Post by base871 » Jul 03 2010 10:16 am

Ive hiked up south mountain one year, although your not really supposed to be up there.
"The Edge. There really is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

Tough_Boots

Post by Tough_Boots » Jul 03 2010 2:34 pm

though, its not much of a hike, I would assume that people head up to the top of A Mountain next to ASU for the fireworks. I would assume a crowd up there if they don't close it for whatever reasons.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Jul 03 2010 3:01 pm

Although the parking is closed the trails at Squaw are open. Best views of the entire valley IMO and I've been to several other mountains throughout the years. You just have to walk from the neighborhood. The main street leading in is off limits on Holidays, Weekends and basically daytime during the week so park on any of the off streets(I'm not sure but it seems they aren't marked no parking).

You can also park at the shopping center at 32nd & Lincoln and get in via Quartz Ridge Trail #8
View Map ...plenty of other options too (you don't have to go to the top of Squaw to get get views)

North Mountain is the second best vantage point. It was closed last year, not sure about this year.

South Mountain is good but the trails are typically off limits. Last year the rangers circled the perimeter and hollered people down with amplified megaphones.
Magic 8 Ball 30 edges, 12 vertices and 20 faces(answers)
HAZ neverending joy
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Al_HikesAZ
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Jul 03 2010 3:11 pm

joe bartels wrote: Last year the rangers circled the perimeter and hollered people down with amplified megaphones.
So take your Vuvuzelas to drown them out. :GB:
Sunday is July 4, when America combines our two favorite pastimes: alcohol and explosives. David Letterman
July 4 is my favorite holiday. No presents, no church, just a lighter and a trunk full of explosives. Jimmy Kimmel Live!
Here’s a fireworks safety tip. Don’t get drunk and leave bottle rockets on the grill unless you want to see your hot dogs fly, which is fun too. Jimmy Kimmel Live!

The opinions expressed are strictly those of this expresser and are not endorsed by HAZ. In fact most of my opinions are barely tolerated.
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes. Andy Rooney

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Jul 03 2010 3:18 pm

confirmed
:sl:
HAZ neverending joy
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

SkyIslandHiker
City, State: Sahuarita&ShowLow AZ

Post by SkyIslandHiker » Jul 03 2010 4:46 pm

We hiked up Piestewa Peak for Fourth of July fireworks about five years ago. Although we could see numerous displays from around the valley, it was somewhat disappointing. Perhaps they were just too far away.

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Jul 03 2010 5:09 pm

If you want up close and personal... Shadow Mountain

There's typically a show right SW. Not sure if it's that church or what. Not sure if they're having it in this economy either.
HAZ neverending joy
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 03 2010 7:16 pm

Al_HikesAZ wrote:July 4 is my favorite holiday. No presents, no church, just a lighter and a trunk full of explosives. Jimmy Kimmel Live!
The opinions expressed are strictly those of this expresser and are not endorsed by HAZ. In fact most of my opinions are barely tolerated.[/quote]
:sl: :sweat: :y:

Eliminate the hot icky messy greasy BBQ (that the less-drunk moms have to deal with and clean up after--UGH!!! I HATE to BBQ!!!) and I'm with you on that one!
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jul 03 2010 7:36 pm

The buttes at Papago Park receive quite a bit of traffic as well. There's several to choose from, and the views of the fireworks over the lake are about as good as they get. The park rangers are plentiful to keep things in check (aka put your liquor in a big gulp instead of walking around with an "open container".)

I myself prefer sitting on my roof, which provides a great view of Tempe's fireworks, but also a nice side view of Mesa, and Chandler's in the distance too. My neighbors think I'm weird.
Profound observer

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 03 2010 7:47 pm

I don't think you are weird--the traffic is always horrible after city fireworks. Even in Springerville, which has one of the best shows in AZ, the traffic is awful afterward. I am very tired today after my first day back on the job at the dude ranch, so I want to see the fireworks with less hassle, so we will likely not get as close as we normally try to. I wish I had a little travel trailer, because I would just haul it up there to the airport mesa and then I would have somewhere to hang out afterward, and not worry about driving back in the mess. Before I moved here I had never really experienced fireworks up close. And now I am totally bored by them unless I am pretty close. Just jaded, I guess!
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Return to “Looking for a Hike”