landed in egypt

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
pickelltree
City, State: alexandra, egypt

landed in egypt

Post by pickelltree » Oct 21 2010 6:22 am

i have moved to egypt and am missing the convience of hikearizona.com. now instead of hiking around trees, i dodge cars and step over garbage. exciting, but smelly and dangerous.

my question is, does anyone know of any international hiking site like this one or guides? i have used summit post and some other random things, there has to be more.

by the way, i usually go to yellowstone every oct., this year i am going to turkey. i will be urban hiking because my gear is still in the states till christmas.

i did manage to hike the i believe tallest peak in spain near grananda this summer.

pickelltree

te_wa
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Re: landed in egypt

Post by te_wa » Feb 03 2011 7:48 am

Josh, there are some trips on the calendar. Id like to pick your brain about what you may have seen in Africa.
and generally talk shop, of course.
:D

Davis2001r6
City, State: Suffolk, UK

Post by Davis2001r6 » Feb 03 2011 9:16 am

Really hoping things cool down very quickly there. Have a 10 day trip planned about a month from now to go there. 2 days in Jordan, 3 in Sharm El Sheikh, 3 days in Luxor and the last day in Cairo. So far was just have airfare booked, but are obviously holding off on any planning at this point.

Josh how was it getting out of Cairo? You have any good contacts there to find out how things are around the country. I'm normally a pretty adventurous person but this goes a bit past that for me, at list with my wife.

Thanks,

-TIM-

pickelltree

Post by pickelltree » Feb 07 2011 10:07 pm

@davis2001r6
Getting out of the airport is easy as log as there us no curfew in affect. I'm on my iPod right now. I will respond better when I get to my computer. If u go to Alex. U can stay with us

pickelltree

Post by pickelltree » Feb 21 2011 3:10 am

hikr.org

Hikr.org is a non-profit website where people publish reports and photos of their mountain-tours. Hikr.org is a place where to search for new ideas and a huge photo-gallery.

this is another site i just ran across. it needs to be translated, but it is nice

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Feb 21 2011 6:52 am

Pickeltree is that you or did someone spam you?
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Davis2001r6

Post by Davis2001r6 » Feb 21 2011 10:57 am

Well as things have cooled down we are back on. 3 days in Jordan, 3 days in Sharm, 3 days in Luxor and a day in Cairo. We don't leave till the 10th though, can't wait.

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Feb 22 2011 5:39 am

When you go to Jordan, will you have time to visit the ancient stone city of Petra?
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

Davis2001r6

Post by Davis2001r6 » Feb 22 2011 9:04 am

Yes Petra is the main reason we are going to Jordan. We will only have a day a Petra, but we plan on making it a long one. The other day we are going to Jerash and the Dead Sea.

cathymocha
City, State: Glendale, AZ

Post by cathymocha » Feb 22 2011 11:55 am

I would love to visit Petra.

pickelltree

Post by pickelltree » Feb 24 2011 12:01 am

if you come to alexandria, look me up. i have room if you want to stay there a night.

eduley
City, State: Washington, DC

Post by eduley » Feb 25 2011 5:03 pm

Re: By chumley » Oct 21 2010 10:50 am
I'm pretty sure the highest point in Spain is in the Pyrenees range along the border with France....
It's not here nor there, but pickelltree was right. The highest peak in the Pyrenees is Aneto (3,404m), while the highest peak in continental Spain is Mulhacén (Granada) 3,478m. In the Canary Islands the highest peak in Spain, a volcano, is a bit higher Teide (Tenerife) 3,718m; been there to the peak when I was a kid, it's a short walk from a cable car; sulphur gases all over, got sick. Nicest hikes are probably in the Picos de Europa (Santander), and in the Sierra de Gredos where you can still find the Via Romana.

kingsnake
City, State: Sunnyslope, PHX

Post by kingsnake » Feb 25 2011 5:08 pm

pickelltree wrote:if you come to alexandria, look me up. i have room if you want to stay there a night.
Spent a week's worth of nights getting drunk in an Alexandria harbor bar when I was a 21 or so. Good times. Loved Egyptian beers: Big (like a wine bottle) and decent tasting as well ...
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

Davis2001r6

Post by Davis2001r6 » Feb 26 2011 12:48 am

pickelltree wrote:if you come to alexandria, look me up. i have room if you want to stay there a night.
Thanks for the offer and it would be nice to have a local tour guide, but it doesn't look like we will be headed to Alexandria. <2 weeks away now, can't wait. Just hope our hotel lifts the snorkeling restrictions at Sharm now. They were supposed to be on the 23rd so we shall see if the hotels follow now.

Davis2001r6

Post by Davis2001r6 » Mar 04 2011 7:27 am

Doesn't look as if I will be going now, was supposed to leave Thursday, had leave approved and now my commander canceled it due to the state dept warning on deferring non-essential travel. $2000 out the door. The military can really suck sometimes.

kingsnake

Post by kingsnake » Mar 05 2011 5:43 am

First rule of being in the military: IT is easier to get forgiveness than permission. ;)
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Mar 05 2011 1:47 pm

davis2001r6 wrote:Doesn't look as if I will be going now, was supposed to leave Thursday, had leave approved and now my commander canceled it due to the state dept warning on deferring non-essential travel. $2000 out the door. The military can really suck sometimes.
My son is coming home from "the 'Stan" on Friday!!!! YIPPEE! He truly hopes to not have to go to the Middle East again, but has at least 8 or 9 years more of service before retirement. He really liked his float deployment to the Indian Ocean with the MEU a couple years ago, though.

Davis2001r6

Post by Davis2001r6 » Mar 06 2011 12:14 am

kingsnake wrote:First rule of being in the military: IT is easier to get forgiveness than permission. ;)
I would generally agree and was hoping for that approach. The command new about the trip though and I was directly told I will not travel to Egypt at this time. Disobey that and I could pretty much kiss my career goodbye. 8 years more of this BS (at times). So if we can't end up making the Jordan leg work (requiring additional $900 in airfare). We may just go to Belgrade, Serbia for a few days. Sounds much safer there ;)

kingsnake

Post by kingsnake » Mar 06 2011 4:12 am

I actually met my wife when I was deployed there. Bosnia, actually. In a coal mine. Seriously. :lol:

Return to “Looking for a Hike”