Canyon Creek vs Dane Canyon

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
cchaffee758
City, State: Queen Creek Az

Canyon Creek vs Dane Canyon

Post by cchaffee758 » Jun 06 2011 11:18 am

Planning a 2 night backpack for this coming up weekend and am looking for something that included water. Was planning on hiking Chevelon Canyon but heard there is a fire around there right now. Has anyone been to Canyon Creek lately? If so, how secluded is it? How does it compare to Dane Canyon? Going up Friday though Sunday and travel time isn't much of an issue.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

allanalxndr
City, State: Phx, AZ

Re: Canyon Creek vs Dane Canyon

Post by allanalxndr » Jun 06 2011 11:53 am

cchaffee758 wrote:Planning a 2 night backpack for this coming up weekend and am looking for something that included water. Was planning on hiking Chevelon Canyon but heard there is a fire around there right now. Has anyone been to Canyon Creek lately? If so, how secluded is it? How does it compare to Dane Canyon? Going up Friday though Sunday and travel time isn't much of an issue.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Canyon Creek is not secluded at all. You will most likely see a bunch of fishermen throughout the day and a section of the creek is right along side a road. It was really over grown last time I was there. I imagine if you get farther in near the border of the Reservation you will find more secluded areas?

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jun 06 2011 12:17 pm

Dane Canyon will offer eternally more solitude. But I'm also unaware of any fires near Chevelon Canyon ... do you have any more information on that?
Profound observer

allanalxndr
City, State: Phx, AZ

Post by allanalxndr » Jun 06 2011 12:23 pm

chumley wrote:Dane Canyon will offer eternally more solitude. But I'm also unaware of any fires near Chevelon Canyon ... do you have any more information on that?
Durfee Fire just north of Chevelon Lake. Started 6/3/2011 currently at 107 acres - http://www.nifc.gov/nicc/sitreprt.pdf

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jun 06 2011 12:56 pm

That's weird. There was a fire there last summer that they also called Durfee. You'd think they could pick a new name this year. Anyway, its only 100 acres and 80% contained. I'd call the ranger station for confirmation, but unless it burned right down the trail, I wouldn't expect it to impede a hike/camping trip this weekend.
Profound observer

no avatar
RangerKelly
City, State: Illinois

Post by RangerKelly » Jun 07 2011 8:53 am

The Durfee fire was started and is being managed by the forest service. According to their twitter page

Return to “Looking for a Hike”