Hikes in Kauai

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
base871
City, State: Tempe

Hikes in Kauai

Post by base871 » Mar 10 2012 2:31 pm

Anyone know of a good dayhike there. Working on Fri but I am off on Sat-sun. A 5 mile dayhike would be perfect.
"The Edge. There really is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Hikes in Kauai

Post by joebartels » Mar 10 2012 2:40 pm

not much posted yet, might google for more info on these http://hikearizona.com/map.php?QX=1618
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

New2hyk
City, State: scottsdale, AZ

Post by New2hyk » Mar 11 2012 4:11 pm

waimea canyon and polihale state park areas have tons of trails with great views. :)

ChefTIO
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Post by ChefTIO » Mar 12 2012 4:18 pm

We too are headed to Kaua'i very soon. I would ask around about current conditions though. Last week there was around 50 (yes fifty) inches of rain. From what I read a lot of areas are still closed. (Mostly on the northside of the island)
"The grand show is eternal. It is always sunrise somewhere; the dew is never dried all at once; a shower is forever falling; vapor is ever rising." ~ Mr. John Muir

mazatzal
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by mazatzal » Mar 12 2012 5:46 pm

Two decades ago we really liked the Hanakapi'ai Falls trail (off of Kalalau trail but that part was kind of busy...) and the Nualolo Trail - Awaawapuhi Trail Loop but these may be in the area closed?
Last edited by mazatzal on Mar 12 2012 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New2hyk
City, State: scottsdale, AZ

Post by New2hyk » Mar 12 2012 7:14 pm

ChefTIO wrote:We too are headed to Kaua'i very soon. I would ask around about current conditions though. Last week there was around 50 (yes fifty) inches of rain. From what I read a lot of areas are still closed. (Mostly on the northside of the island)
It is amazing to see the different micro climates on this island. I was there in feb of this year. I was at poipu beach(south side). Hardly had any rain but northern part got a lot of rain and some hikers were stranded there and had to be air-lifted :o . Waimea canyon area also is very dry part of the island :) . Most of the rain ends up on Waialeale mountain and some on northern portion of the island.
one practical tip is to pay attention when you make reservations for water sports. Due to weather, if they get cancelled, they reschedule them to the next day. But if you are travelling back from the island and can't make the re-scheduled date, you won't get your money back :o

ChefTIO
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Post by ChefTIO » Mar 13 2012 11:18 am

I know that most of Ke'e Beach is currently closed, because of washed out section. Unsure if the access to Kalalau Trail is restricted. http://thegardenisland.com/kee-jpg/imag ... 8f2ed.html They should have this repaired soon as this is a popular attraction.

Our goal is to hike to Hanakapi'ai Falls and then to different parts of Waimea Canyon on a different day.

We do have plans for a catamaran and helicopter excursions, but will wait til the week before leaving to book to get an idea on what the weather will be like. This will be the first time flying in a helicopter with doors off........ :scared:
"The grand show is eternal. It is always sunrise somewhere; the dew is never dried all at once; a shower is forever falling; vapor is ever rising." ~ Mr. John Muir

outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Mar 13 2012 12:46 pm

ChefTIO wrote:This will be the first time flying in a helicopter with doors off........
You'll love it! It's a rush. Did it as a teenager in an army helicopter to the top of a mountain in the Huachucas....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

base871
City, State: Tempe

Post by base871 » Apr 03 2012 12:29 am

Thanks for the replies. Went fishing instead as the marlin and mahi were on. I will hike in a couple of months when I go back in June.
"The Edge. There really is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

Return to “Looking for a Hike”