I'm BAAACK! How about suggestions for a FOUR-DAY HIKE?????

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
azfatboy
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

I'm BAAACK! How about suggestions for a FOUR-DAY HIKE?????

Post by azfatboy »

Ok, so I got the hookup on the "Rogers Trough-Angel Basin-Frog Tanks-Reavis Ranch" loop thanks to SupersitionGuy. :thanx: But now I want to go BIGGER!!!!!! :D We are now scheduling a FOUR-DAY hike in a couple weeks, to take advantage of the kid's spring break.

I am not trying to be a mooch. But here's my problem, I have been scouring the entire southern 2/3 of AZ looking for hikes. And I don't know how to get a good picture of all the trails in an area, so I can make my own combination, or preferably (like SuperstitionGuy did for me) make a LOOP out of several "one-way" trails. How do you guys do it????

Is it just topo maps? I hope there is an online way, cause buying topo maps for everywhere I am willing to go would get spendy--fast... And right now, I don't care where I go, so much as how long I go, and enjoying the scenery/weather/history/wildlife/etc while I'm doing it.

Yes, I am contemplating the Supes. The overnight lows (and my equipment) should be at least a little better in mid-March. I even bought the "Hiker's Guide to the Superstition Wilderness" book, cause I know I will going back there. But I would also enjoy trying somewhere new.

So, please illuminate me on the intricacies of custom-trail-loop-combination making, or if you are so inclined, dazzle me again with your suggestions for a 30-ish mile hike!
joebartels

Re: I'm BAAACK! How about suggestions for a FOUR-DAY HIKE??

Post by joebartels »

It's easier to go with a previously posted hike but you can make your own loops from Mapped Areas such as
Superstition Wilderness Trails or Santa Catalina Trails

click on a line on the screen then click the green link "Send to Route MGR"
- after you have all the tracks you want to work with, click Data at the top of the screen and select Clear All
- now you can edit/split/join those routes and download a .gpx file for your Oregon 550

Mapped Areas are just an example you can right click anywhere on MapDEX and select Offical Rts in view too
- joe
azfatboy

Post by azfatboy »

joe, that is exactly what I was looking for. I had no idea about that "Mapped Areas" feature! Thanks!
autumnstars
City, State: Las Vegas, NV

Post by autumnstars »

This site has many fantastically flexible features, thanks to Joe! :D :D :D
"Let it ride / Let it roll / Let it go"
azfatboy

Post by azfatboy »

I have created a couple loops in the western supes using the route manager, and I made them "public". Not sure what that means... :)

Anyway, I haven't quite managed to create the 30+ miler that I am looking for, and I am not sure about any specifics about the loop (water, elevation, etc), but they sure were fun to make! (one suggestion: sure wish the Rte Mgr had an "Undo Last" option...)

I bought that "Hikers Guide to the Superstition Wilderness" book, and I think that between this site and that book, I will find something great for this coming weekend.

As far as I can gather, there is a good chance of rain on Friday going into early Saturday, but since we won't even start hiking until late morning on Saturday, I am not too worried, as Sun-Tue get dry and warmer.

Also, this trip we will all have silk longjohns (tops and bottoms), down bags (just the Kelty Cosmic Down 20--got a GREAT deal at STP--$66ea!!!), and overall better preparation, so even if it does get as cold as it did last month, I am confident that we will have a better sleeping experience... :)
joebartels

Post by joebartels »

wow you really have a plan going : app :

public means anyone may view it

now others can make suggests on your plan http://hikearizona.com/map.php?MY=3246&M=3
(takes a couple seconds to load, someday there will be a progress indicator)
- joe
Jeffshadows
City, State: Old Pueblo

Post by Jeffshadows »

If you want to get down this way we have PLENTY of 30 milers that you could sink your teeth into... :sweat:
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA
azfatboy

Post by azfatboy »

Joe, I was hoping that is what public meant. I was able to make a couple neat looking routes in the western supes, and was secretly hoping someone would be able to view them and provide details on water points, preferred direction, or route mods to hit scenic areas.

BUT...

I was talking to my wife, and she totally poo-pooed the ENTIRE western side, saying they are supposedly much more heavily traveled by day hikers--which was confirmed by the Superstition Hiker's book. Even worse, the book also warned that CRIME was a concern on those western trailheads! :o

So, I guess I am back to square one trying to find something on the higher, eastern side. Oh well, at least water shouldn't be a major concern there. (P.S. how do I tell Route Manager when I will be going over the same trail section more than once?)

Jeff, forgive my ignorance, but being new to the site, I don't know what you mean by "down this way", unless you simply mean southern AZ? If so, please illuminate--I am very open to going south! My only caveat is that, as I will be bringing my family, I am not interested in going where I am more likely to encounter a drug-mule caravan than an actual mule caravan... 8-[
joebartels

Post by joebartels »

@jeffmacewen any suggestions :)
azfatboy wrote:how do I tell Route Manager when I will be going over the same trail section more than once?
The "clone" tool is what you seek. It's a tad tricky to learn at first.
It's easier now than this old video shows, yet should help you understand https://www.youtube.com/v/18l0isXdW58&version=3

As with any trailhead, the majority of traffic is within a couple miles. The entire east side of your loop is not a zoo.

The Galiuro Wilderness is a tad early for most but may be worth a look...
- joe
azfatboy

Post by azfatboy »

joe, that does look like it will do the trick! The video made it look pretty easy, so I can't wait to try it.

I think my wife wants to hit the big ticket item we missed last time--Reavis Falls. So I think I'm gonna plan something from the Reavis Trailhead, and just do an out and back on some of the trails at the eastern end (via Reavis Gap and Fireline). Now to go play with Route Manager!!!! :D

The Galiuro Wilderness looks awesome. Those are some long stretches of trails! But I agree that it definitely looks like a late spring/early summer hike.
azfatboy

Post by azfatboy »

I think I found a route that will work. I start at Reavis TH, Reavis trail south, out/back to Reavis Falls, Reavis to Reavis Gap, to Campaign, to Fireline, out/back to Circlestone, to Reavis, back out to TH.

I posted a route for feedback (Reavis Gap-Circlestone Loop--couldn't figure out how to get the URL to post directly). It's 34 miles, not including the Reavis Falls out/back or the Circlestone out/back (don't know how to get those trails to add to my route). But those 2 side trips should put the total over 40 miles. Phew! This will be the longest hike that my family has yet undertaken! (we are not telling the kids that it is that long... They would FREAK! :D )

My biggest concern is water and good camping areas for nights 1 and 2.

I don't think we can make it all the way to Reavis Ranch on the first night (it's 9 from TH to the ranch, plus 6 miles for the Falls--15 miles is a lot for us--esp as we won't start hiking until late morning). So I figure we will end up somewhere on 109, near or even still north of Plow Saddle junction. Is there water or at least a good place to camp around there?

I figure the second day we will travel the rest of Reavis to Reavis Gap, hike that over to Campaign, and camp somewhere on that trail. Again, is there water over there? Any awesome camping spot I should aim for?

The next day will include the hike to Fireline, and take that west (with an out/back to Circlestone), to Reavis, then north back to Reavis Ranch, where we will camp the final night. The 9-ish miles back out on the final day should be easy.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?
DBmooner
City, State: chandler, Az

Post by DBmooner »

there is only 1 spot to camp on plow saddel that i know of and it isnt the greatest can get really windy at night but it works and there isnt much wood for a fire but if you follow plow saddle trail down the hill to the intersection with frog tanks witch is less then 1/4 mile there is a small spot to camp that is nice and there is a small spring right next to it but not sure if the spring will be running i have been there twice and only saw it running once and it was very little but who knows with all the rain and snow the sups have been geting there may be a couple small pools of water
azfatboy

Post by azfatboy »

Looking at the elevation profile on Reavis Trail, I was afraid that it didn't lend itself to camping... Oh well. We've actually been to the Frog Tanks-Plow Saddle Junction last month (we were hiking the FT trail), so I know where that is--and I would not try to drink the green brown water in those cement tanks unless my absolute life depended on it... :o

On the bright side, we are not planning on needing a lot of water for our 1st night dinner (brats) or next morning breakfast (omelets), so we should be able to get by with what we carry--we can fill up as we cross the stream at Reavis Ranch the next day.

Still not sure about water or camping spots on the campaign trail, but I suppose I'm gonna make it work one way or another! :)
SuperstitionGuy
City, State: Queen Creek, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy »

Your first night campsite is right along the trail. I recommend that you go east off trail before you reach that point into the trees and look for a campsite amongst them. Doing this should also give you privacy, protection from wind and a better source for wood. Just do it long before dark so you have time to explore for a good campsite.
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks
SuperstitionGuy

It's 5:15 AM and raining in Apache Junction with more rain and cold predicted. Do not go into the sups this weekend but take a vacation to Southern California instead! :M2C:

Unless of course you really like hiking and camping in the cold, rain, snow and mud! :o

Even if you do your kids will never forgive you for this trip! :scared:
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley »

To each their own I guess. I personally think that this weekend in the Supes would be A+++ Prime Grade-A Farm-Raised Organic Hormone-Free Goodness. At Reavis Falls tomorrow morning? Sign me up! :D
Championing breakfast since 1994.
azfatboy

Post by azfatboy »

Well we just got hit HARD here in the west valley too, the downspout on my house looked like what I hope Reavis Falls looks like tomorrow!!! But it's cleared out already, drying rapidly, and all weather forecasts I can find for the supes show AM showers at the worst--we wont even be hiking until mid morning at the earliest. Planning on a nice lunch at Reavis Falls. I think it might be damp and blustery, but I don't think it will be miserable. And the overnight lows all stay well above 40. That's already a huge improvement over last month! :D

It's definitely a risk, but I think we're gonna go for it--esp since Sun-Tue looks absolutely fantastic!

Speaking of "A+++ Prime Grade-A Farm-Raised Organic Hormone-Free Goodness", I got some fresh eggs from a coworker laid by his very own chickens. They are delicious! And yep, my omelets on Sunday morning are going to be ALL THAT! :DANCE:

Thanks again for all the help guys. Thanks to HAZ, I feel pretty good about this trip!
SuperstitionGuy

I just checked the Arizona Highway site and they do not list Apache Trail or as they call it State Route 88 being closed at Tortilla Flat. Have fun and be safe.

azfatboy

Post by azfatboy »

We did it but things did NOT go as planned... :) I posted a triplog for anyone that is interested. We didn't have any problems getting in (there were a couple places we had to cross the swollen river but I gotz a TRUCK!). We were however delayed by road repair on the way out on Tuesday.

Return to “Looking for a Hike”