Hike similar to Salome Jug?

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
rodneyaz
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Hike similar to Salome Jug?

Post by rodneyaz » Apr 13 2014 2:06 pm

Hey there fellow adventurers...I'm looking for a hike, similar to the Jug, that I can do this Tuesday. Canyoneering with a little rappeling, but nothing to crazy (maybe 75 feet or less?), ideally with a little waterflow. I have done the Jug twice, and would just like to see something new. I would do the 5 pools hike, but we don't have 4WD. Any suggestions? Up to 2-2.5 hour drive from the east side of the valley.

The_Eagle
City, State: Far NE Phoenix, Az

Re: Hike similar to Salome Jug?

Post by The_Eagle » Apr 13 2014 3:18 pm

rodneyaz wrote:but we don't have 4wd
I only needed HC to get to where I parked
http://hikearizona.com/gps=21149
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry

toddak
City, State: Puhoynix, AZ

Post by toddak » Apr 14 2014 7:13 am

If only there were more places like The Jug around. Probably the closest similar area would be Christopher Creek Gorge near Payson, but the water will be colder. This time of year, I'd say a repeat in The Jug is still better than anything else out there.

DBmooner
City, State: chandler, Az

Post by DBmooner » Apr 14 2014 5:22 pm

fair warning if you do Christopher creek gorge when you encounter the fence that goes across the creek by the ranch you can go pass it the signs are wrong you are not trespassing ! they are breaking the law by putting the fence through the creek .

te_wa
City, State: Mesa

Post by te_wa » Apr 15 2014 3:45 pm

downstream from the head of N. Fork of Deadman creek, Mazzie wilderness.

if you look at this photo, this is where you drop in for a counter/clockwise loop. http://hikearizona.com/photo=90642

it looked to be doable from what i could see but i guess you'd have to find anchor points?

this is prolly not a solo trip. plan ahead.
squirrel!

oceanwithin
City, State: AZ

Post by oceanwithin » Apr 15 2014 5:48 pm

You can scroll down here to find info on the full Deadman canyoneering route here: http://hikearizona.com/decoder=2018

That being said, North Fork of Deadman creek is quite a trip... the whole thing is 20 miles, 2 days, max rap of 240 feet plus a gnarly bushwhack out, although there is a midway exit. It's not well traveled as far as canyoneering goes and is far more difficult than the jug. Just a heads up in case you do venture out there. :)

te_wa
City, State: Mesa

Post by te_wa » Apr 16 2014 3:37 pm

thanks, Kelli.
the area i am talking about is downstream from the falls about a mile, max. it has a few good bowls and might be worth a look. i didnt take any photos, except this one looking into Deadman (http://hikearizona.com/photo=90644). if you go downstream a ways around a bend, you'll come to some very cool geology and the keepers will be right there.. we could not pass w/out ropes. i'd camp just beyond the barnhardt saddle in the oak trees, then make a nice day trip down thru and back out the exit, the shallow canyon south of your entry point.

then again, there's always Fritzski's Pools.
squirrel!

rodneyaz
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by rodneyaz » Apr 16 2014 3:57 pm

We ended up doing the Jug, as the road was closed to Devil's Canyon. It was a good trip. I have a shorty wetsuit, but didn't use it, and it was a bit chilly, but it was still fun.

Return to “Looking for a Hike”