Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
no avatar
surfer349
City, State: Tempe

Overnight Sat/Sun SB weekend, from PHX?

Post by surfer349 » Feb 04 2016 9:38 am

Hey all,

So checking in to all your infinite beta for tips on a hike this weekend. The wife and I have the weekend free and are thinking about doing a campout Sat. night. Any tips? We are based in PHX, so looking for something w/in a 2-hr drive. What's it like camping up north this time of year? Too cold?

We are looking for either a backpacking/camp trip where we hike in/out with light gear and camp on the trail or doing car camping type thing, where I can roll out my double sleeping bag and an airmattress and then do a day hike from the campsite.

Any good beta? Anything really awesome you'd recommend? I can do either option and am geared for anything. The only thing is the wife says she doesn't want to do snow-camping.

The_Dude
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Overnight Sat/Sun SB weekend, from PHX?

Post by The_Dude » Feb 05 2016 11:40 am

Western Superstitions are always a good choice this time of year, temps should be really nice. I did the Boulder Canyon loop from First Water last weekend with some friends, plenty of water to filter out there. A worthy suggestion for decent effort, but certainly nothing crazy. Many campsites available all along the route, we took it clockwise to get in most of the effort on the first day.

no avatar
surfer349
City, State: Tempe

Re: Overnight Sat/Sun SB weekend, from PHX?

Post by surfer349 » Feb 05 2016 1:14 pm

The Dude wrote:Boulder Canyon loop from First Water last weekend with some friends, plenty of water to filter out there. A worthy suggestion for decent effort, but certainly nothing crazy. Many campsites available all along the route, we took it clockwise to get in most of the effort on the first day.
Ah, cool. The wife and I did the full Marsh Valley Loop with detour to Charlebois Spring last time. Everything was bone dry except for the spring. We went CCW, with that huge incline on Sunday morning (BRUTAL).

Any of tips or suggestions?

Return to “Looking for a Hike”