Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
no avatar
Conjou
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Bismarck ND

Trip buddy Azt, Phoenix to Tucson, dec 26-31

Post by Conjou » Oct 09 2016 8:10 am

Flying in to Phoenix on Dec. 25 and would like to do the section of the AZT from Maybe Superstition to the point that ends nearest Tucson, from Dec. 26-30 or 31. Quite a bit of mileage per day, I know. Anyone up for it?
I am 45, male, professor, writer, outdoor adventurer. On the quiet side--thinker, and a slow one :)

Even if you don't want to do the trip, if you have advice about this section of the trail for that time of year or the best ways to get from the Phoenix airport to a trailhead and then the trailhead into Tucson, I am all ears. Thanks!

garyc57
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Re: Trip buddy Azt, Phoenix to Tucson, dec 26-31

Post by garyc57 » Oct 10 2016 1:05 pm

@Conjou
I'm not sure which "...point that ends nearest Tucson...", you mean, but... You're right, that's quite a bit of mileage. There's not a lot of anything out there. Plan carefully!

No matter where you decide to end your hike, there's a LOT of rough mileage in that section of Arizona, and not a lot of dependable water.

I'm available on Monday, the 26th of December (state employees have the day off! (Thanks, taxpayers of Arizona!)). I presume you'll want a lift from your hotel to the north end of the Alamo Canyon segment - # 17.

I'd be pleased to pick you up, drive you to the PicketPost trailhead, and hike a few miles with you. IM me, and let's chat.

Gary

cycle87
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Ahwatukee,AZ

Post by cycle87 » Oct 17 2016 6:19 pm

Hi guys,
I am also interested in doing some passages of AZT in December. What passages do you have in mind? there are many passages from near Phoenix to Tucson, for example, Passage 12 to 19 is about 170 miles :)

Kenny

no avatar
Conjou
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Bismarck ND

Post by Conjou » Oct 18 2016 1:06 pm

thanks to both of you for your responses. I am up for any sections between like 11 or 12 and 17, or whatever seems reasonable in the time I have. I get in on the 25th and could conceivably head out that day. I have hiked up to 40 miles in a day, but could do less or more depending on others. I just need to figure out the jumping off point and a ride to Tucson relative to whatever plan we come up with. I have some experience long distance hiking thru desert terrain but would be nice to not have to go it alone. Kenny, what did you have in mind? Gary, awfully kind of you to offer the ride. Did you just want to go the one day, back to work Tuesday? I don't know how to IM. Is there something on this site?

Email works for me too. Gmail. Basquiatnd1

cycle87
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Ahwatukee,AZ

Post by cycle87 » Oct 18 2016 8:12 pm

@Conjou,
Recently I did Passage 12, and 13 with a group of my hiking buddies, that was my first hiking on AZT. I was immediately hooked. For now I am thinking some passages near Superstition/Payson area... Let's get in touch, and talk. Gmail. cycle87

garyc57
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by garyc57 » Oct 20 2016 12:32 pm

Conjou wrote:Did you just want to go the one day, back to work Tuesday?
Yes, just the day. That week is my 38th anniversary, so I can't do more than that. :scared: Heck, who knows, my trail angel extraordinaire might even want to come with us - as long as it's only a few miles.
Conjou wrote:I don't know how to IM. Is there something on this site?
Yes, on the right side, at the bottom, is "Contact:" followed by a little speech bubble(?). Click on that, and it will bring up the private instant message feature in HAZ. You can sent me any contact info via that.

BTW, Joe. Thanks for a fantastic site!

tibber
Huckleberry Picapelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by tibber » Oct 20 2016 2:48 pm

Conjou wrote:I don't know how to IM. Is there something on this site?
Yes, on the right side, at the bottom, is "Contact:" followed by a little speech bubble(?). Click on that, and it will bring up the private instant message feature in HAZ. You can sent me any contact info via that.

BTW, Joe. Thanks for a fantastic site!
I didn't know that!
For me, sometimes it's just as much about the journey as the destination.
Oh, and once in awhile, don't forget to look back at the trail you've traveled.

garyc57
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by garyc57 » Oct 21 2016 11:44 am

tibber wrote: I didn't know that!
That's one of the things I love about HAZ - every week or two I discover yet another little gem that makes using the site such a pleasure!

Joe - :yr:

Return to “Looking for a Hike”