Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
climbrock5
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Hieroglyphics/Lake Pleasant Area

Post by climbrock5 » Dec 26 2016 8:54 pm

Quick Question- Besides the big jim trail etc. is there any other remote hikes out in the Hieroglyphic mountains? My only concern is that from driving castle hot springs road there appears to be a significant amount of private property? I'm only guessing but I'd assume most of these people own firearms and don't take kindly to people on their property. I'm totally open to exploring this area.

Also another totally random question but while hiking do I need to be at all concerned with the burros? I've seen mountain lions, deer, rattlesnakes, but never ran into a burro on the trail. In all of the states I've lived this is the only animal I haven't really encountered.

Thanks

joebartels
teva joe
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Hieroglyphics/Lake Pleasant Area

Post by joebartels » Dec 26 2016 9:15 pm

@climbrock5
here is a list of the hikes in Hells Canyon Wilderness hikes
https://hikearizona.com/traildex.php?ID=43&SUB_ID=433

Governor Peak is the most popular. As you can see by the member ratings they are pretty even across the board. If you like one you'll likely enjoy the others in nice weather.

Also you can zoom into any area on the map, right click ( or click menu ) then select "Official" under "Plot Routes in View"
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

SpiderLegs
Former Brand Emphasizer
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by SpiderLegs » Dec 27 2016 5:19 am

The burros will run away from you once they catch a glimpse of you. Nothing to worry about.

Fun area to explore, close to town but without the crowds you bump into in other areas.
See my pics on Instagram @tucsonexplorer

JasonCleghorn
Auburnopelli

Post by JasonCleghorn » Dec 27 2016 6:35 am

climbrock5 wrote:Quick Question- Besides the big jim trail etc. is there any other remote hikes out in the Hieroglyphic mountains? My only concern is that from driving castle hot springs road there appears to be a significant amount of private property? I'm only guessing but I'd assume most of these people own firearms and don't take kindly to people on their property. I'm totally open to exploring this area.

Also another totally random question but while hiking do I need to be at all concerned with the burros? I've seen mountain lions, deer, rattlesnakes, but never ran into a burro on the trail. In all of the states I've lived this is the only animal I haven't really encountered.

Thanks
It's a great area. Criminally underrated. But I'm kind of glad. There are tons of trails out there but also tons of off-trail opportunities. In the last two years, I've probably spent the most time out there of most on HAZ other than @Barrett.

Joe's suggestion of Governor's is a good suggestion. And as @SpiderLegs said, don't worry about the burros. They'll neigh at you but that's about it. There are tons of javelina out there but just make a bunch of noise and they will scatter.

Another good thing to do out there is just to walk Garfias Wash. You can basically hike the wash for as long as you want to. You'll pass some very interesting areas that look more like Utah than where you are. You can park at the 'dam' on Castle Hot Springs Rd. just before Cow Creek Rd. and just hit the wash and take it as far as you want to go.
Follow me on Instagram: hikingjason
"It's not the mountains that we conquer, but ourselves"
"HAZ is not a meet-up group. Unless you're in the IN group, then its a meet-up group"

rcorfman
Wanzigopelli

Post by rcorfman » Dec 27 2016 8:34 am

SpiderLegs wrote:The burros will run away from you once they catch a glimpse of you. Nothing to worry about.
Definitely nothing to worry about. In my experience there's a big chance that the burros will not run away, but instead group together and stare at you as you walk by. They're a fun animal to watch, especially when they have the little ones with them. I once placed a geocache along the Black Canyon Trail a bit south of the Henderson Trailhead. There were burros nearby and by the time I was finished, there was a group of a dozen or so about 30 yards off watching me.
Go find a LonelyCache

JoelHazelton
Luminosopelli

Post by JoelHazelton » Dec 27 2016 11:30 am

If you camp, you do need to burro-proof your food. I camped at Lake Pleasant one night and the burros invaded the entire west side of the lake around 9pm. We had one return to our camp 3 or 4 times that night to try and take our food (with a fair amount of success), and we could hear them neighing all up and down the shore. Granted, the west side of the lake is a hotspot for lazy campers, but assuming it's the same burros that hang out in the wilderness, it's worth consideration.
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

http://www.joelhazelton.com

Return to “Looking for a Hike”