Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
no avatar
jaree791
City, State: San Tan Valley, AZ

Scout Troop

Post by jaree791 » Dec 30 2016 12:46 pm

I am looking for a hike that is at least 50 miles long here in AZ. We would like to do this over a 5 day span in the summer. We would also like it to be where a car could get to us periodically( every night would be prefered, but if we had to do it every couple of days that would be fine). I am still rather new to AZ and I am doing all the research I can. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Scout Troop

Post by chumley » Dec 30 2016 1:16 pm

@jaree791

:welcome:

You won't be the first to plan a trip like this!
Read more in this thread:
https://hikearizona.com/dex2/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8531
Profound observer

nonot
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by nonot » Dec 30 2016 1:18 pm

The highline trail is about 50 miles with periodic car access points, but is not suitable for mid-summer hiking and is best in late spring or early fall in the shoulder seasons. I would say that to do 50 miles during the summer with car access you will have to stick to areas near Greer, such as splitting up a West Fork/East Fork/Baldy trip over a couple of days.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 30 2016 3:30 pm

@nonot
@jaree791
In the White Mountains, the Scouts will start their 50 miler at South Fork Trailhead, near Eagar, then hike up to Greer, then up to Baldy and back down again, making a cherry stem loop. In Tucson an award used to be given by the local Council for the "Catalina Challenge" 50-miler, hiking over the Catalinas from American Flag Ranch. I am not sure of the route. Possibility of cars reaching a couple points along those routes.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Dec 30 2016 4:05 pm

As much of The Arizona Trail north of the Grand Canyon as you care to do.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

SuperstitionGuy
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Dec 30 2016 5:13 pm

Canoe or Kayak it part ways as it is to hot almost anywhere in the Arizona summer to backpack every day. How many boys, what are there ages and what is their experience? Maybe a water base camp with day hikes every other day out and back or a loop from the base camp.

I used to guide older Scouts through the Superstitions during Christmas break and can tell you a lot about how to do it and how not to do it.
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Dec 30 2016 5:54 pm

As newly minted Second Class Scout in the late 60's we backpacked along Forest Route 300 the Rim Road, The General Crook Trail.
jk

rcorfman

Post by rcorfman » Dec 30 2016 10:10 pm

Sredfield wrote:As much of The Arizona Trail north of the Grand Canyon as you care to do.
Or between the rim and Flagstaff.
Go find a LonelyCache

no avatar
jaree791

Post by jaree791 » Dec 31 2016 8:43 am

@SuperstitionGuy
about 15 boys ages 14-18 and their skill levels range

SuperstitionGuy

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Dec 31 2016 10:02 am

@jaree791
Are you looking to accomplish the Hiking Merit Badge or the 50 Mile Foot-A-Float award. For the Hiking Merit Badge you can base camp and drive to the drop off and pickup points. The 50 Miler requires at least three different campsites with an average of 10 miles per day where you have to carry it all plus meet the service requirement. You can do the 50 Miler in the Supes during the Christmas Break and Spring Break however it can get very cold during the Christmas Break and very warm or cold during the Spring Break. Water can also be a real problem during the Spring Break. What are your goals?
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.

rcorfman

Post by rcorfman » Dec 31 2016 10:44 am

@SuperstitionGuy
I think you mean the Backpacking MB, not the Hiking MB.
Go find a LonelyCache

SuperstitionGuy

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Dec 31 2016 12:17 pm

@rcorfman
No Hiking as he specifically said hiking in his first post. The Hiking Merit Badge at the time I was involved in Scouting required four 10 mile hikes and one 20 mile hike. There were no camping or backpacking requirements within it.

For the 20 mile hike for the Hiking Merit Badge we would use the north route into Reavis Ranch and back or to the Rodgers Trailhead with side trips to make sure we did the mileage required. For the 10 mile hikes we would use other trails and canyons within the Superstition Wilderness or other nearby trails adjoining the Wilderness. Sometimes combining two with overland routes between them. Sometimes loops such as around Weavers Needle, Bluff Spring Mountain etc.

We tried to keep our outdoor activities close as possible to our home base of Mesa, Az to cut down on the cost of transportation. We considered the Superstition Wilderness our backyard and we used it as much as we could depending upon the time of the year. The USFS used us as their eyes and ears as well and we did a number of service projects for them which included cleaning up after the fire of Reavis Ranch.

During the summer we always did Camp Geronimo and had our older Scouts serve on staff there. We did the Highline Trail System, Lava River Cave, Mount Humphreys, Bear Canyon Lake, Mount Baldy, Colorado River canoe trips, etc... I do not ever recall going out of State as it was to cost prohibitive for the families involved.

no avatar
jaree791

Post by jaree791 » Jan 02 2017 8:05 pm

@SuperstitionGuy
yes we are going for the 50 mile foot a float.

We dont need to get the cars for the boys but more for the leaders. As I dont know if I will have all the leaders that can either do the hike the whole way due to work, or if we can have the boys stock up on water durring some of that time.

We will be doing the service up their on the hike as we talk with the rangers up in that area.

thank you

SuperstitionGuy

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Jan 02 2017 8:41 pm

I would then recommend early summer and the Highline trail. GPS the route and the various Trailhead access points. Begin backpacking very early each morning so you can complete each days segment before it gets to warm. Travel from the east end to the west and have someone waiting for you at each days destination to reserve the best spot for your group to camp. Do your service in the late afternoon in the area of where you are going to spend the night. Bring in quality guest speakers that can share with your boys real life experiences at each nights campfires but do not bore them. Boys will listen if they are not to tired so do not keep them up to late. Let them get the sleep they will need for the next days trek. I wish I could join you but this early summer I will be in Logan, Utah.

Return to “Looking for a Hike”