Hike from Rogers Trough to Spencer Spring??

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Steph_and_Blake
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Hike from Rogers Trough to Spencer Spring??

Post by Steph_and_Blake » Jan 16 2017 5:39 pm

I'm looking at the Green Trails Maps of the Supes and was wondering if anyone has hiked from Rogers Trough TH up to, roughly, Iron Mountain Spring, turned right and hiked southeasterly past Deer Spring and then on to Spencer Spring and on to Montana Road. On the Green Trails Map there is a minor trail just as I've described. Just looking to make a short loop but not sure it it's a boring bushwack or anything of interest. Another thought is to go out from Rogers Trough TH, turn right to go through Grave Canyon, then take a right at some point to pick up the West Pinto Trail and take that back to Rogers Trough. Thoughts??

Many thanks!
Stephanie and Blake Barnard

friendofThundergod
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: AZ

Re: Hike from Rogers Trough to Spencer Spring??

Post by friendofThundergod » Jan 16 2017 6:14 pm

@HarrisonBarnard1
I have the same map and know of the little trail they have marked there. However, judging from the upper stretches of Spencer being a little overgrown, I have to believe that the more informal route is no walk in the park and partially there, or non existent in spots. That being said, a great option is Spencer, West Pinto back to Rogers Trough Loop, with some road walking to connect past Montana Mountain, but this can be shortened by a little bypass route. There is a variation of this loop in the below link and the bypass to connect to Rogers Trough and shorten your connecting road walk. I did a backpacking loop so Cuff Button is included, but if you click on the route, you can focus on the loop involving Spencer Spring Trail, Rogers Trough and West Pinto.

https://hikearizona.com/photoset.php?ID=27678
https://hikearizona.com/map.php?GPS=25360

Steph_and_Blake
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by Steph_and_Blake » Jan 17 2017 9:00 am

@friendofThundergod
Thanks for the suggested route but we were looking for a much shorter loop (about half a day) out of Rogers Trough.
Stephanie and Blake Barnard

friendofThundergod
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by friendofThundergod » Jan 17 2017 9:09 am

@HarrisonBarnard1
Oh I see, there are several great looping options from there, however, I don't think any of them would really fall into the half day category...

SuperstitionGuy
Retired Reminiscer
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Jan 17 2017 9:34 am

If you do not mind off trail exploring hike the ridge on the west side of Rogers canyon as an out and back or narrow loop. There were silver mine prospects on that ridge/mesa and no one on HAZ has reported about them yet.
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jan 17 2017 11:52 am

SuperstitionGuy wrote:There were silver mine prospects on that ridge/mesa and no one on HAZ has reported about them yet.
I've been tempted to check those out ever since I saw the claims mapped in a book.

friendofThundergod
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by friendofThundergod » Jan 17 2017 12:27 pm

@SuperstitionGuy
and no one on HAZ has reported about them yet
But I assure you people have been...and have posted, but have remained vague on a few of the details :)

Return to “Looking for a Hike”