Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
no avatar
Jkholdings
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: New York

looking for day hike(s) guide $

Post by Jkholdings » Mar 24 2017 8:46 pm

Visiting Phoenix and want to optimize my time safely with a series of day hikes - Superstition Mountains seem ideal). Looking for hiking partner /guide. Meals and travel on me, will pay if necessary. In town and available to hike next week, Wednesday March 29-Friday morning, March 31; Sunday, April 2 - Tuesday morning, April 4

Visiting from New York Catskills area, not in great shape, but could do about 10 mile day hike.

AZLumberjack
Gopher State Kokopelli
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ.

Re: looking for day hike(s) guide $

Post by AZLumberjack » Mar 25 2017 8:00 am

@Jkholdings
If you have a vehicle you're half way there already. Do your research here on HAZ and concentrate on the two main trailheads. First Water TH has more of the "easy" trails leading into the Wilderness while Peralta TH has the more strenuous trails involving AEG. Both trailheads are usually staffed with knowledgeable volunteers to answer your questions. You may have lucked out on the weather, as this week looks really good for getting out. A few MUST's include;
1. WATER, can't emphasize enough, a good backpack with a bladder is by far the best money spent.
2. Stick to the use trails. It's an early start to the snake season this year so stay on the beaten trails where you are likely to see a snake before the snake sees you.
3. Hike during mid-week to avoid the noisy crowds and plan on getting an early start to enjoy the cool morning air.
4. Good trail shoes with a sole that has "bite" is helpful on the smooth rock portions of the trails.
5. Maps.... Plan a destination, whether a loop or out-&-back and download that map to "Route Scout" on your cell phone.
6. Remember that most areas of the Superstitions are not covered by cell towers, so you can't rely on help from your phone.
7. The sun in Arizona is unforgiving and shade is at a premium so dress accordingly and do wear a hat.
8. Be sure to leave a message with someone as to where you plan on hiking to, and stick to that plan.

You can do this on your own and, although a guide would be nice, you don't really need one of you stick to some of the common sense rules above. Be sure to bring a camera to record the adventure for your friends "back home" and for posting here on the HAZ site.

Jack Olson "Photos by Jack"
On every trip into the Superstitions, I find another Gold Mine. Today the mine was filled with Memories. I can not wait for the next trip.

Grasshopper
Detailapelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Grasshopper » Mar 25 2017 8:50 am

@Jkholdings
What AZLumberjack says..
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

trekkin_gecko
Capra Collisopelli
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by trekkin_gecko » Mar 25 2017 9:02 am

here's a couple things to get you started:

black mesa loop - 9 miles - first water TH
https://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=11
miner's needle loop - 9 miles - peralta TH
https://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=15851

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Mar 25 2017 7:02 pm

I really like the Black Mesa Loop as an introduction to the Supes. I'd skip the guide, too, unless you can find a volunteer who really knows the flora.

Al_HikesAZ
Ol' Kokopelli

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Mar 25 2017 8:07 pm

I'm a CPA so I can't help before April 18. Otherwise I am willing to work for less than minimum wage to guide anyone in the Supes. Now that I am older than 66 I can work for less than minimum wage and still not lose any Social Security Benefits.
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

Grasshopper
Detailapelli

Post by Grasshopper » Mar 25 2017 8:16 pm

@Jkholdings
If I were you, I wouldn't trust Uncle Al before or after April 18th :lol:
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

Return to “Looking for a Hike”