If you have a vehicle you're half way there already. Do your research here on HAZ and concentrate on the two main trailheads. First Water TH has more of the "easy" trails leading into the Wilderness while Peralta TH has the more strenuous trails involving AEG. Both trailheads are usually staffed with knowledgeable volunteers to answer your questions. You may have lucked out on the weather, as this week looks really good for getting out. A few MUST's include;
1. WATER, can't emphasize enough, a good backpack with a bladder is by far the best money spent.
2. Stick to the use trails. It's an early start to the snake season this year so stay on the beaten trails where you are likely to see a snake before the snake sees you.
3. Hike during mid-week to avoid the noisy crowds and plan on getting an early start to enjoy the cool morning air.
4. Good trail shoes with a sole that has "bite" is helpful on the smooth rock portions of the trails.
5. Maps.... Plan a destination, whether a loop or out-&-back and download that map to "Route Scout" on your cell phone.
6. Remember that most areas of the Superstitions are not covered by cell towers, so you can't rely on help from your phone.
7. The sun in Arizona is unforgiving and shade is at a premium so dress accordingly and do wear a hat.
8. Be sure to leave a message with someone as to where you plan on hiking to, and stick to that plan.
You can do this on your own and, although a guide would be nice, you don't really need one of you stick to some of the common sense rules above. Be sure to bring a camera to record the adventure for your friends "back home" and for posting here on the HAZ site.
Jack Olson "Photos by Jack"
On every trip into the Superstitions, I find another Gold Mine. Today the mine was filled with Memories. I can not wait for the next trip.