Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
JoelHazelton
Luminosopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Best place to grab a post-hike craft beer

Post by JoelHazelton » Apr 22 2011 1:05 pm

Inspired by the mexican food/pizza posts, I'm wondering about good places around AZ to grab a beer after a hike or backpack trip. The smaller/more obscure towns would be especially appreciated, because I'm used to only coming across only the cheap domestics at those places.
Some places I've stopped at post-hike:

Prescott- Prescott Brewery. The Petrified Porter is good, but their seasonal "Achocolypse" (which is Petrified Porter brewed with milk chocolate) is absolutely amazing.
Flagstaff- Lumberyard Brewery. Imperial Red was awesome.
Sedona- Oak Creek Brewery. Boo. Not a single redeeming quality here. Chicken quesadilla was mediocre, beer was watery.
Tucson- Nimbus Brewey- Though I love Old Monkeyshine from a bottle,it was twice as good on tap.

In Tempe we'll frequent Boulders on Broadway and Four Peaks after gym climbing. Actually, we're spoiled here in Tempe. Example: I live next to the most ghetto looking corner store ever, but upon walking in you'd think you're in a Total Wine.

Yardhouse would be a good place to hit on the way in town from the west. I suppose Rock Bottom from the northwest, though I wasn't impressed with any of their beers.

Any ideas? I'm particularly curious about the Payson area.
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

http://www.joelhazelton.com

hikeaz
Socialpelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Best place to grab a post-hike craft beer

Post by hikeaz » Sep 18 2017 3:58 pm

Anyone been to and have a report on Mesquite River Brewing Company (their beers that is) ?
kurt

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Sep 18 2017 4:46 pm

@hikeaz
i hear, from very reliable sources, the Sour is great. wish i could say firsthand.. never got north of goldwater (and no reason to, actually)!
:D

Pivo
Nueva Vidapelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by Pivo » Sep 22 2017 12:17 pm

We look at zones, so if returning from the Santa Rita's the go to places are: Saint Charles Tavern Dog Friendly and SkyBar also Dog Friendly.
For Sabino and Mt Lemmon/ Santa Catalina Hikes: Bear Canyon Pizza the patio is Dog Friendly and Arizona Beer House Dog Friendly.

Tubac area Wisdoms Dos Dog Friendly patio.

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes

Post by te_wa » Sep 24 2017 8:51 am

any hikes near Tombstone? that brewery is worth the drive, alone. yes, it is.

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Sep 24 2017 8:55 am

@te_wa

a few to wet your whistle within 50 miles
then tap the red pin marker to map
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

hikeaz
Socialpelli

Post by hikeaz » Oct 30 2017 12:47 pm

Divided Vine brings craft beer & hand pies to east Gilbert

Divided Vine, a craft beer and wine bar that also serves hand pies, has opened on the northeast corner of Higley and Guadalupe in northeast Gilbert (+/- 2 miles south of 60 and/or 2.5 miles north of SanTan 202).

The bar is located next to Rancho de Tia Roa – in the same complex as Henhouse Cafe and Rise Up Bakery.

If the opening beer list is any indication, the 35 taps will feature an eclectic and diverse array of beers, ranging from Goldwater Hop Chowda IPA to Renegade Pancakes Maple Porter to Goose Island Bourbon County Stout.

Hand pies, also known as empanadas, come in five savory varieties: chicken pot pie, El Cubano, green chile pork, spicy Jamaiican beef, and spinach and feta. All are $8, which includes a side of quinoa salad or kettle chips.

There are three dessert hand pies – classic apple, lemon cream, and chocolate cream – for $4 apiece. House popcorn also comes in three choices – cheddar cheese, maple garlic, and Devil’s Spice – for $3.

Hours are 2 p.m.-midnight Monday-Wednesday, 2 p.m.-2 a.m. Thursday-Saturday, and noon-10 p.m. Sunday.
kurt

hikeaz
Socialpelli

Post by hikeaz » Jun 15 2018 2:27 pm

Coming soon...
FOUR SILOS BREWING - ​143 South Higley Road, Gilbert, Arizona 85296 - SEC Higley & Elliot - (Coffee, too..)
kurt

WanderingDad
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Surprise Az

Post by WanderingDad » Jun 24 2018 1:23 pm

Wilderness Brewing!!

hikeaz
Socialpelli

Post by hikeaz » Jun 27 2018 3:19 pm

Helluva Brewing Company, a self-described ‘‘suds and smoke’’ brewpub, is planning to open this fall in the former Zipps Sports Grill building on the northeast corner of McClintock and Ray in Chandler. - Twenty beers will be on tap, including eight from Helluva: an IPA, American wheat, pale ale, light lager, Kölsch, amber, red, and two seasonal's.
Steve Stone, formerly the brewmaster at Huss Brewing, is a part-owner of Helluva and will oversee the brewing.
Oct./Nov. '18 is target opening.
kurt

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes

Post by te_wa » Jul 02 2018 4:54 pm

Irene's Tap Room.
craft beer geek Irene Jackson opened this place about a month ago. good list, rotating, no shelf turds.. but some rare and in search of's hit the handles regularly. best thing? MOST of her handles are local or S.W. brewed beer. cali, Utah, CO, NM.
it's as if someone wanted to vistit a dozen PHX area breweries, but without driving all over town.

Tough_Boots
Forest Gangster

Post by Tough_Boots » Jul 03 2018 12:33 pm

Yeti275 wrote:and the pretentious (for the most part) locales they're served in.
That seems to be changing. You can get growler pours at quite a few convenient stores now and microbrews at chain restaurants. Craft beer has been mainstream for a while now-- I love the accessibility of quality beer.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

hikeaz
Socialpelli

Post by hikeaz » Jul 03 2018 12:55 pm

Catalina Brewing (Tucson) is running a groupon - $9.25 for a flight and a pint.

NIMBUS (also Tucson) appears to be in trouble or defunct. (again)
kurt

hikeaz
Socialpelli

Post by hikeaz » Jul 03 2018 4:02 pm

Yeti275 wrote:
Jul 03 2018 1:10 pm
@hikeaz
Every business venture the ex-owner of Nimbus, Jim Counts, was associated with ended in court.
Yep.... by just about anyone's account, he's a shifty dude.
Starting about 20 years ago when no one else was a player, he and Nimbus should have OWNED Tucson. He's avoided mostly all the Az. Brewer's Guild events and beer fests, etc. The beer has definitely improved since they started - it was BAD at first. About a year ago I was about bowled over when I saw Monkeyshine on tap at the right field beer garden at a D-Backs game; just about the only place I have seen it on tap in the Valley.
kurt

Return to “Food/Recipes”