8%
No interest in enhancing my hike with any substance
51%

Total votes: 201

Hakatai
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Best Backpacking Libation

Post by Hakatai »

Every so often I like to bring a little booze on a backpacking trip. My current cocktail of choice is Lynchburg Lemonade. My criteria for a good drink is that it is reasonably light and tastes good in the warm desert without ice.

My recipe:
1 liter Nalgene more than 1/2 full
crystal light lemonade to taste (Wal Mart brand works too)
Early Times Whiskey to taste :o (the bottles are perfect for fittng in a pack)

Some people may say, why bother with the lemonade? But I have to hydrate , you know.

Any other winning recipes out there.
cass1234
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by cass1234 »

I say leave the booze at home and bring some cannabis. It is much lighter, and probably more compatible with an outdoor experience.
Al_HikesAZ
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ »

In response to cass1234's reply:
Around Payson, you don't have to bring it with you. Just stay alert to your surroundings. :yikes:

http://www.paysonroundup.com/section/fr ... tory/24322
Marijuana field raided Plants had $7 million street value

By Max Foster, Roundup staff reporter Friday, July 14, 2006

Boy Scouts spending the week at Camp Geronimo, north of Payson, awoke Tuesday morning to see heavily armed officers and SWAT team members parading through their camp.

Gila County Narcotics Task Force photo[img][/img]

A marijuana growing field, found near Camp Geronimo, was about three acres in size and contained 8,000 plants 3 to 4 feet in height.

"They were peeking out of their tents," one of the officers said. "I can't imagine what they must have been thinking."

The 40-member law enforcement team, led by the Gila County Narcotics Task Force, U.S. Forest Service officers and Arizona Department of Public Safety, were bound for a secluded site about one mile northwest of the camp where a marijuana field had been discovered. The officers surrounded the camp and eventually flushed out two growers who attempted to flee on foot.

"They ran directly into one of the elements of our SWAT team," a GCNTF undercover agent said. "They didn't resist (arrest) much."

The two, Jesus Mejia, 25, and his brother Gabriel Mejia, 19, were arrested, interviewed and booked into the Payson Gila County Jail where they remain. Both were charged with conspiracy to manufacture marijuana and possession of marijuana. Agents say neither spoke English and both were Mexican nationals in the country illegally.

Scottsdale resident Alston Neal who was camping on Milk Ranch Point with his wife witnessed the raid and subsequent arrests.

"We could see the (marijuana) fields and the command center," he said. "Early in the morning about 15 or 16 vehicles came in and then the helicopter arrived.

"(Officers) did warn us there could be gunfire and to watch for suspicious persons," he said. "We decided to stay.

"When the raid was over, they talked to us and we learned what had happened," Neal said. "It was all very exciting."

The marijuana field originally caught agents attention last winter when a hiker reported seeing what he thought was a potential site. Since then, agents have periodically set up surveillance on the area.

"When we found it was occupied, it was time to go in," an undercover agent said.

The actual growing field, about three acres in size, contained about 8,000 plants that were midway through maturity, and scattered 10 to 15 feet apart. The plants, which agents say had an Arizona street value of over $7 million, were uprooted and flown by helicopter to a burning site. Some plants were kept as evidence.

Also participating in the raid on the camp were officers from the Drug Enforcement Administration, Arizona Game and Fish Department and Gila County Sheriff's Office.

Last year's raids

Raiding a marijuana-growing field near the highly popular Boy Scout camp was nothing new for drug agents.

In June 2005, a tip from hikers led narcotic agents to a 5,000-plant marijuana field north of the camp at the base of the Mogollon Rim.

Before the agents arrived, the growers fled the area.

"That's the way it usually is. If anyone discovers them, they abandon (the marijuana garden) right away," an undercover GCNTF agent said after the raid.

Last summer and fall, agents conducted seven raids in Tonto and Coconino National Forests in which they eradicated 110,939 marijuana plants with a street value of more that $200 million.

Following the largest raid in August at Calf Pen Canyon near Fossil Creek Wilderness, agents eradicated about 20,000 pot plants, many of which were six feet in height.

Following each of last summer's raid, Gila County Sheriff John Armer issued a warning to hikers and hunters.

"Be cautious and vigilant out there," the sheriff said after a Aug. 15, 2005 incident south of Payson in which illegal growers fired shots at bear hunters who accidentally discovered their growing fields.

"If you happen to stumble on a grow, remove yourself immediately, avoid any contact with those tending these gardens and report them to the authorities," Armer said.

Anyone finding a suspected marijuana garden should report it by calling (928) 474-0728.
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes. Andy Rooney
az420dude
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by az420dude »

In response to cass1234's reply:

very good points. plus alcohol is a poisonous toxic.

I usually don't puff when doing just day hikes. But on overnites and/or extended backpackin trips I will bring along some tasty organics from my garden.

=peace
Elaine2003

Darn!!

Post by Elaine2003 »

In response to al1inaz's reply:

I'm camping up at Milk Ranch Point in a few weeks.

Guess I'll just have to bring my own! haha :wink:
wetbeaverlover
City, State: Rimrock Az

Post by wetbeaverlover »

nothing better than to sit around camp and night with a little Patron, a litt le salt, and lime and some skunky smelling flora to make me a happy lil camper :)
Dan
cass1234

Post by cass1234 »

Perhaps this topic would make a good poll.
Desertroux
City, State: AZ to VA

Post by Desertroux »

There are SO many options and ratios of said options. Its going to be a really big poll.

I guess I'am an omnivore, I enjoy drink, greens, and Mountain House.

:lol:
The Dude Abides.....
az420dude
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by az420dude »

Didn't like any of the choices in the poll, so I'll place my vote here - for cannabis sativa.
Ironic how "legal" substances like cigs, booze & painkillers can be the most harmful. But rest assure that the good ole' boys in Corporate America sincerely care about the well being of Americans ($$) :?

-peace
AZHikr4444
City, State: Cave Creek, AZ

Post by AZHikr4444 »

In response to al1inaz's reply:

Imagine all those resources used up on some Mexican guys growing plants in the woods, while two serial killers run around the valley picking us off one by one.

4 cops to grab the banditos and 35 to haul out the pot. Oh and one to reassure the boy scouts..experts agree...everything is ooookkkaaayyyy....

But back to the poll...
A true outdoorsman, when treed by a bear, sits back and enjoys the view.

Lost? Hell, I ain't never been lost. But I have been a mite confused for a week or two.
-The Mountain Men
Trishness
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by Trishness »

al1inaz wrote:In response to cass1234's reply:
Around Payson, you don't have to bring it with you. Just stay alert to your surroundings. :yikes:

If you happen to stumble on a grow, remove yourself immediately, avoid any contact with those tending these gardens and report them to the authorities," Armer said.

Anyone finding a suspected marijuana garden should report it by calling (928) 474-0728.
[/quote]

And everyone wondered why I hiked in See Canyon 20 times last year! :lol:
Trish-Kabob

"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds" Ed Abbey
IRIE_LION
City, State: Tolleson, AZ

Post by IRIE_LION »

cass1234 wrote:Perhaps this topic would make a good poll.
IT IS THERE...
Last edited by IRIE_LION on Jul 28 2006 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
IRIE_LION

Post by IRIE_LION »

cass1234 wrote:I say leave the booze at home and bring some cannabis. It is much lighter, and probably more compatible with an outdoor experience.
BLESSED LOVE,
IT IS TRUTH ME BREDREN...WHAT BETTER TO TUNE YOURSELF WITH NATURE THAN INTAKING NATURE ITSELF INTO THINE BODY? YOU MUST INTAKE ALL THE ELEMENTS. MOST PEOPLE ONLY INTAKE 3 OF THEM, BEING EARTH (FOODS-FRUITS, VEGIES, GRAINS) WATER, AND WIND WHEN THEY BREATHE, HOWEVER MOST DO NOT INTAKE THE FIRE ELEMENT. THE BURNING OF THE HOLY GREEN HERB IS THE INTAKE OF FIRE, THE BURNT OFFERING, TO CLEANSE ONESELF OF IMPURITY AND OF SIN (WHEN USED CONSCIOUSLY AND SPIRITUALLY). TO UPLIFT THE MIND, AND MOTIVATE INSPIRATION. TO GAIN FULL CONSCIOUSNESS OF ONESELF AND THEIR SURROUNDINGS. I PERSONALLY AM OFFENDED WITH SO MUCH TALK ABOUT DRINKING THE WINES OF FORNICATION OUT IN THE HUMBLE WILDERNESS. BABYLONS BREW ONLY DISTORT REALITY WHEN THE HERB REVEAL IT. THE MOST HIGH CREATE THE ALL NATURAL HERB WHICH SEED IS WITHIN ITSELF AND SAW THAT IT WAS GOOD. WHILE THE MAN THROUGH HIS SCIENCE DISCOVER THE ALCOHOL ONLY UNCOVERING HIS OWN DISTRUCTION. CHA! HERB BRING MORE LOVE AND RIGHTEOUSNESS TO ONES CONSCIOUSNESS..WHILE THE ALCOHOL JUSS BIG UP ONES EGO, AND THINK PERVERSE THOUGHT.

IT IS TOXIC, HENCE DRINKING TOO MUCH LEADS TO INTOXICATION. TOXIC CAN ALSO BE SAID AS BEING POISEN...WHY POISEN THYSELF? HAVE SOME SELF RESPECT.... THAT ASIDE THE HERB REALLY IMPROVES ONES INSTINCTS AND SENSES, RELAXES THE MUSCLES, RELIEVES ALTITUDE SICKNESS....TOO MANY MORE REASONS TO EXPLAIN... MANY GOOD THINGS COME FROM THE BLESSED HERB! GIVE ALL THANKS AND PRAISE!
joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels »

That's cool, but why are you YELLING.
- joe
cass1234

Post by cass1234 »

In response to az420dude's reply:

Yeah, I don't really like the options of this poll either. I offered a different one to begin with, but I was censored. I guess one can never really escape drug war hysteria.

While we are on the subject, I think it is important for us all to consider one fact. The USA (the land of the free) has the largest amount of citizens per capita serving prison sentences of all industrialized nations. Most of which are non-violent victims of said drug war.

"Liberty is too important to be buried in books, Miss Saunders."
Jefferson Smith in "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington"
wetbeaverlover
City, State: Rimrock Az

Post by wetbeaverlover »

oh joy. off topic political commentary
Dan
IRIE_LION

Post by IRIE_LION »

Sorry about the caps..its just how i type. I really speak slowly and softly, so you must look past the caps as being yelling, it just stands out more boldy, but are soft spoken words.... MORE LOVE AND RIGHTEOUSNESS...
Hakatai

Post by Hakatai »

In response to IRIE_LION's reply:

Not even a Red Stripe? What would Bob Marley say?
IRIE_LION

Post by IRIE_LION »

LOL!!!!....WELL YES THAT TOO, ALCOHOL IS ALCOHOL DOESNT REALLY MATTER WHERE IT COME FROM....BOB MARLEY TOO REFUSED THE WINE AND STRONG DRINK. FOR THE SAME REASON JESUS HIMSELF REFUSED TO TAKE A DRINK OF THE WINE. IT IS AGAINST TH VOW OF THE NAZARITE OF WHICH BOB MARLEY HAD TAKEN....IN THE BIBLE NUMBERS CHAPTER 6 YOU CAN CHECK IT OUT....

BLESS~
Hakatai

Post by Hakatai »

You got me there. Can't argue with the Numbers. Irie mon. Peace.
sharina
City, State: Chicago, IL

Post by sharina »

My favorite after-dinner drink. Theraflu. Very mellow yet sophisticated :lol:

Return to “Food/Recipes”