9%
No interest in enhancing my hike with any substance
52%

Total votes: 196

Hakatai
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Best Backpacking Libation

Post by Hakatai » Jul 17 2006 10:04 pm

Every so often I like to bring a little booze on a backpacking trip. My current cocktail of choice is Lynchburg Lemonade. My criteria for a good drink is that it is reasonably light and tastes good in the warm desert without ice.

My recipe:
1 liter Nalgene more than 1/2 full
crystal light lemonade to taste (Wal Mart brand works too)
Early Times Whiskey to taste :o (the bottles are perfect for fittng in a pack)

Some people may say, why bother with the lemonade? But I have to hydrate , you know.

Any other winning recipes out there.

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Best Backpacking Libation

Post by chumley » May 11 2011 4:17 pm

Um, I don't know if you haters read the entire thread, but just a few posts up there's a nice little tidbit on canned beer. You should read it.
http://www.hikearizona.com/dex2/viewtop ... =80#p68178

Here's the money quote:
However, thanks to many pioneering craft brewers around the country, and even several here in Arizona, that stigma is changing. Big, flavorful beer does belong in a can and people are starting to realize that just because it is packaged the same as some mega-brew you'd find at a convenience store it sure doesn't taste that way. And as far as tasting like the can, it's not true. The patented (and secret) process for lining modern cans makes it virtually impossible to extract any flavor from the aluminum.
But the president is probably born in Kenya so...
Highway to hell

kingsnake
City, State: Sunnyslope, PHX

Post by kingsnake » May 11 2011 4:23 pm

Look at the source and why they say it. I bet bottles are more expensive, thus an economic incentive to pimp cans ... ;)
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

Tough_Boots
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Tough_Boots » May 11 2011 4:40 pm

kingsnake wrote:Look at the source and why they say it. I bet bottles are more expensive, thus an economic incentive to pimp cans ... ;)
but who wants to pack out bottles when you can crush a can? In my experience, the craft beers I've tried from a can don't taste like metal at all. But, of course, my generation grew up on better beer to begin with and isn't automatically haunted by memories of Coors and Budweiser.
chumley wrote:But the president is probably born in Kenya so...
well, it was either Obama born in Kenya or McCain born in Panama... :STP:
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

te_wa
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » May 11 2011 5:03 pm

fine by me.. you dont like canned perfection then dont drink it, more for chumley and i. if one thinks bud light tastes better in a bottle, one can have all the bud light one's heart desires.
:D

chumley

Post by chumley » May 11 2011 10:11 pm

Kingsnake ... will you take the challenge? :)

From Four Peaks Brewsletter...
we'll be holding our "Can Kicks Glass" Hop Knot Taste Test this Tuesday, May 17th from 5pm until 7pm (or as long as our short run of cans hold out), a full 4 days before the official release! Similar to the legendary "Pepsi Challenge" from back when the movie Meatballs actually came out, this taste test will be comprised of the subjects given a sample of Hop Knot poured from a can, bottle and on draft to see if you really can tell the difference. Seeing as we've been touting the advancements in "can technology" as well as the environmental benefits that come from canning for years, we figured that the best way to prove it is via taste test. This event will be free
Highway to hell

JoelHazelton

Post by JoelHazelton » May 11 2011 11:44 pm

Modus Hoperandi is probably the best IPA I've had. It's in a can and I crush the pumpkin out of it and throw it in my pack when I'm done. It'll only be a special occasion if I ever bring a bottle of beer backpacking again (like when we had Pliny!).
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

http://www.joelhazelton.com

survivalhike

Post by survivalhike » May 13 2011 9:54 am

I was really into brewing beer a few years ago, but let it go after seeing that the brewing of beer and the growing of the stomach as not conducive with hiking, camping, and outdoor life. I still drink beer, but when you are brewing beer the quantities you end up with are staggering. At one point I had to have well over 500 bottles of beer in boxes stacked in closets and pretty much anywhere I could hide it. Plus, I had three Corney kegs in the fridge that each had five gallons on pressure with CO2. I was giving beer away for months, which made my friends happy, but I never was able to drink all the beer I made, so I stopped doing it as much.

Cans v Bottles though I think is a matter of opinion. I nave never canned my own beer, mainly because the machinery is not cheap, and most home brewers bottle and keg, and I do both. I love Modus Hoperandi by Ska Brewing, and I've only seen it in cans. I love Coke in a can, hate it in a bottle. However, all other beer I like to drink from a bottle, it's personal preference. Cans are easier on a trip though, and after a couple hours in an ice cold river they taste amazing, and they crush for easy pack out. I have only had cans while camping, but if I were to bring beer on a hike I think I could relax my bottle policy and drink from a can. It's not like its completely different, it's just a feel thing I think. If two beers were poured into pint glasses, one from a can, and one from a bottle, no one would be able to tell you the difference.

te_wa
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » May 13 2011 10:06 am

survivalhike wrote: If two beers were poured into pint glasses, one from a can, and one from a bottle, no one would be able to tell you the difference.
this assertion is proven time and again. for what it's worth, no self respecting brewer would put something like Modus in a can if it diluted or changed the taste. these people and their fans care way too much about quality to make such critical errors.
i am thrilled to see craft beers coming out in cans. so far, (currently) there are about 310 flavors from 118 brewers doing it. i never thought as an ultralight backpacker that i would carry all that weight in my pack, but just judging the quality of craft beers available, i not only am willing to carry that weight, im looking forward to it :y:

link to the canned beer list. have fun~! http://www.craftcans.com/
:D

chumley

Post by chumley » Apr 20 2014 11:05 pm

Somebody actually did this. It's approved by the US Bureau of Alcohol (and other stuff), and will be on sale this fall.

It's powdered alcohol.

http://gawker.com/powdered-alcohol-comi ... 1565094422

It seems that the product is somehow straight alcohol, with flavors added to the powder to make it taste like a familiar cocktail. I wonder if they can make one in beer-flavor?
Highway to hell

chumley

Post by chumley » Apr 21 2014 9:40 am

Think Local. :)
Registered to Mark Phillips, The Palcohol Company, Lipsmark LLC of Tempe, Arizona
Highway to hell

Grimey

Post by Grimey » Apr 21 2014 2:04 pm

chumley wrote:Somebody actually did this. It's approved by the US Bureau of Alcohol (and other stuff), and will be on sale this fall.

It's powdered alcohol.

http://gawker.com/powdered-alcohol-comi ... 1565094422

It seems that the product is somehow straight alcohol, with flavors added to the powder to make it taste like a familiar cocktail. I wonder if they can make one in beer-flavor?
This is... interesting... maybe. Could be pretty cool.

friendofThundergod
City, State: AZ

Post by friendofThundergod » Apr 21 2014 3:00 pm

@chumley
The dream is over...your beer in a powder has already been nixed..full article on MSN..just a portion below...

It was to be a quick and tasty “instant cocktail” — a specially encapsulated form of alcohol that would dissolve in water, something like a powder, to make an instant flavored drink.

But in the space of a few days, the would-be maker found his label approved, published on the internet, and the subject of wildly speculative media articles. Late Monday afternoon, the company withdrew its main license application.

Grimey

Post by Grimey » Apr 21 2014 3:10 pm

From the maker's website:

"Update as of 4/21 at 4:30pm EST

We have been in touch with the TTB and there seemed to be a discrepancy on our fill level, how much powder is in the bag. There was a mutual agreement for us to surrender the labels.

This doesn't mean that Palcohol isn't approved. It just means that these labels aren't approved. We will re-submit labels. We don't have an expected approval date as label approval can vary widely."

Grimey

Post by Grimey » Apr 21 2014 3:12 pm

"11. Can I snort it? We have seen comments about goofballs wanting to snort it. Don't do it! It is not a responsible or smart way to use the product. To take precautions against this action, we've added volume to the powder so it would take more than a half of a cup of powder to get the equivalent of one drink up your nose. You would feel a lot of pain for very little gain. Just use it the right way."

:sl:

RowdyandMe
City, State: Deer Valley, AZ

Post by RowdyandMe » Apr 21 2014 7:30 pm

@chumley
Well it really depends on the beer. I prefer big cans(aka kegs). But there heavy and hard to keep cold while hiking.
but then again I would take a cold can of Devils Ale over any bottle of bud.
Rowdy and Widowmaker

skatchkins
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by skatchkins » Apr 25 2014 6:09 pm

We brought a jar of homemade limoncello to Aravaipa. Would do again. :)
May he guide you through the wilderness : protect you through the storm;
May he bring you home rejoicing : at the wonders he has shown you;
Armchair Crisis Design

KwaiChang
City, State: Rochester, NY

Post by KwaiChang » Apr 27 2014 11:17 am

A small bottle of 1800 worked fine for me last week!!!
Out of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.....

Al_HikesAZ
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Apr 27 2014 5:51 pm

Kwai Chang wrote:A small bottle of 1800 worked fine for me last week!!!
1800? 1800? All of the cacti were laughing and crying at the same time. This is not a complete insult to cacti, but they would appreciate better. Save up and spend the few extra bucks for Herradura Anejo. Well worth the few extra bucks. It's actually cheaper at Costco than 1800 is at that little liquor store on 89 north out of Flagstaff. I speak from experience. Don't make the agave cry. And stay thirsty my friend. :y:

People who drink cheap tequila will find that jumping cholla love jumping on them to teach them karma. :worthy:
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

friendofThundergod
City, State: AZ

Post by friendofThundergod » Apr 28 2014 11:55 am

"inappropriate comment"

I just wanted to post an inappropriate comment to see if it would save during site maintenance ;)

chumley

Post by chumley » Apr 28 2014 12:04 pm

@friendofThundergod
Joe hates you. ;)
Highway to hell

Return to “Food/Recipes”