8%
No interest in enhancing my hike with any substance
51%

Total votes: 201

Hakatai
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Best Backpacking Libation

Post by Hakatai » Jul 17 2006 10:04 pm

Every so often I like to bring a little booze on a backpacking trip. My current cocktail of choice is Lynchburg Lemonade. My criteria for a good drink is that it is reasonably light and tastes good in the warm desert without ice.

My recipe:
1 liter Nalgene more than 1/2 full
crystal light lemonade to taste (Wal Mart brand works too)
Early Times Whiskey to taste :o (the bottles are perfect for fittng in a pack)

Some people may say, why bother with the lemonade? But I have to hydrate , you know.

Any other winning recipes out there.

azhiker96
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by azhiker96 » Aug 12 2006 12:38 pm

I rarely pack in recreational drinks but when I do I like a good Carribean rum. Add a little water and powdered poweraid and you've got a splendid punch. Most of the time though, I prefer hikes where I need to stay on top of my game. Getting roast toasty and while scrambling on cliffs tempts natural selection. :o
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."
~ Mark Twain

Topo the dog
City, State: Under the hammock!

Re: Best Backpacking Libation

Post by Topo the dog » Jan 11 2009 9:59 pm

I'll be a toad licker for life!!!

Actually, have you guys ever tried chewing on burnt logs....brace yourself!
Attachments
CanyonCreek024.jpg
I go wherever Dirt4Dinner goes...sometimes not willingly. ESPECIALLY when there is Catsclaw low to the trail. I have to deal with that at home (the real thing actually...stupid cat)...I don't need it on the trail!

berkforbes
City, State: phoenix

Post by berkforbes » Jul 23 2009 10:17 am

this topic is a bit old, but i cant help but get in on it... Any experience in nature (at least for me) requires some cannabis. and after several trips without it, a couple beers make all the difference after a long days hike, and a sure to be uncomfortable nights sleep... kiltlifter is my prefered backpacking brew...

As for the mornings, a nice wake and bake, and a cup of coffee makes everything better :D
"Rather love, than money, than fame, give me truth."
-Henry David Thoreau

fairweather8588
City, State: Scottsdale

Post by fairweather8588 » Jul 23 2009 12:17 pm

I'll take a flask of crappy bourbon with me next weekend, and either my corn cob pipe/cigars/camels/all of the above. No more burnt logs for me, gotta kick that habit after it made for a long night in Tijuana last spring break
No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength

Kerouac

BobP
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by BobP » Jul 23 2009 12:40 pm

fairweather8588 wrote: long night in Tijuana last spring break

hope it didn't involve....never mind :)
http://www.blindmotivation.com
http://www.seeitourway.org
Always pronounce Egeszsegedre properly......
If you like this triplog you must be a friend of BrunoP

te_wa
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Jul 23 2009 1:11 pm

what, blue lights? :sl:
:D

sundevilstormin
City, State: Queen Creek, AZ

Post by sundevilstormin » Sep 16 2009 4:51 pm

Yerba Máte Taragui sin palo, con menta o canela agregada - right Marlin?!?!

pencak
City, State: Queen Creek, AZ

Post by pencak » Feb 22 2010 6:25 pm

Some plants were kept as evidence...
Quick, what's the first thing that came to your mind when you read that statement? Perhaps I'm jaded but I think of a bunch of cops sitting in the back of the evidence room ala that 70's show. Probably not the case but it's funny to visualize. The bummer about all the growing in the mountains is that it's most likely a serious criminal element behind it and not a couple of guys growing for side money.
Pencak aka Larry Rudd
"I think I'm a verb"
Buckmaster Fuller

Dirt4dinner
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by Dirt4dinner » Mar 24 2010 1:05 pm

I'll take a pint of good quality mouth wash, chase that with some unfiltered pond water and play "grab the rattle snake by the tail". Nothing will cure that hangover.
*****Dirt4Dinner***** - I like anything fast enough to do something stupid on.

JoelHazelton
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by JoelHazelton » Mar 24 2010 1:26 pm

Whiskey
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

http://www.joelhazelton.com

te_wa

Post by te_wa » Mar 24 2010 2:58 pm

i finally was introduced to a near-perfect drink. Jameson and Ginger. Ginger ale actually highlights the flavor of Jameson whiskey, doesnt hide it. And fwiw, ginger ale was also invented in Ireland.. so a match made in heaven for sure. Im considering packing a can of ginger ale since it may be the way it is going to be..

Jeffshadows
City, State: Old Pueblo

Post by Jeffshadows » Mar 24 2010 3:01 pm

IMHO - There's nothing like a cheap-a** can of Tecate that you just chilled in an icy mountain stream... :D
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

JoelHazelton
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by JoelHazelton » Mar 24 2010 4:15 pm

te-wa wrote:i finally was introduced to a near-perfect drink. Jameson and Ginger. Ginger ale actually highlights the flavor of Jameson whiskey, doesnt hide it. And fwiw, ginger ale was also invented in Ireland.. so a match made in heaven for sure. Im considering packing a can of ginger ale since it may be the way it is going to be..
Dude, Jameson and Ginger Ale is an AMAZING drink. I must have gotten 10 of those suckers from Tim Finnegans on my birthday.
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

http://www.joelhazelton.com

te_wa

Post by te_wa » Mar 24 2010 4:30 pm

i had a few down in the old pueblo last week.. they made me stumble down 4th without a care in the world. there may be video proof of me doing cartwheels and dancing with kerri.. (but thats a secret and stuff) :y:

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Mar 25 2010 7:32 am

berkforbes wrote:this topic is a bit old, but i cant help but get in on it... Any experience in nature (at least for me) requires some cannabis. As for the mornings, a nice wake and bake, and a cup of coffee makes everything better :D
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

rdavisiii
City, State: Linneus, Me

Post by rdavisiii » Mar 25 2010 9:20 am

berkforbes wrote:this topic is a bit old, but i cant help but get in on it... Any experience in nature (at least for me) requires some cannabis. As for the mornings, a nice wake and bake, and a cup of coffee makes everything better :D
:D :y:
Lower aircraft have the right of way!

Al_HikesAZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Mar 25 2010 9:26 am

Jeff MacE wrote:IMHO - There's nothing like a cheap-a** can of Tecate that you just chilled in an icy mountain stream... :D
100% Agreement. Chilled in the drag bag through LAVA Rapids. :y: Hell, anything chilled in the drag bag through Lava Rapids is awesome. So why am I always stuck here above Lava. :(
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

writelots
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by writelots » Mar 25 2010 9:43 am

Al_HikesAZ wrote:Hell, anything chilled in the drag bag through Lava Rapids is awesome. So why am I always stuck here above Lava. :(
I love stuff chilled in a drag bag, too - only I usually get it as a bribe to give up my soft and sandy camping spot. FREE beer cooled in a drag bag. Top that one!
te-wa wrote:i had a few down in the old pueblo last week.. they made me stumble down 4th without a care in the world. there may be video proof of me doing cartwheels and dancing with kerri.. (but thats a secret and stuff) :y:

You were hilarious. Especially that part where you started stuffing packing peanuts into your cheeks... :sl: I can't believe you guys haven't done Jamesons and Ginger before (though I still think it a sin to cut Irish Whiskey like that - I prefer to use Dewars). If you wanted to do it in the backcountry, what you really need is a CO2 canister, a small container of ginger syrup and some fresh spring water. mmmmmm.....gives me some ideas!
-----------------------------------
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.- Barack Obama

te_wa

Post by te_wa » Mar 25 2010 10:00 am

hey, you got a photo of that! see avatar..
te-wa, of the packing peanut stuffed cheeks

BobP

Post by BobP » Mar 25 2010 10:01 am

In response to te-wa:
:sl:
http://www.blindmotivation.com
http://www.seeitourway.org
Always pronounce Egeszsegedre properly......
If you like this triplog you must be a friend of BrunoP

Return to “Food/Recipes”