8%
No interest in enhancing my hike with any substance
51%

Total votes: 201

Hakatai
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Best Backpacking Libation

Post by Hakatai » Jul 17 2006 10:04 pm

Every so often I like to bring a little booze on a backpacking trip. My current cocktail of choice is Lynchburg Lemonade. My criteria for a good drink is that it is reasonably light and tastes good in the warm desert without ice.

My recipe:
1 liter Nalgene more than 1/2 full
crystal light lemonade to taste (Wal Mart brand works too)
Early Times Whiskey to taste :o (the bottles are perfect for fittng in a pack)

Some people may say, why bother with the lemonade? But I have to hydrate , you know.

Any other winning recipes out there.

PLC92084
City, State: Vista, CA

Re: Best Backpacking Libation

Post by PLC92084 » Mar 25 2010 10:02 am

writelots wrote:If you wanted to do it in the backcountry, what you really need is a CO2 canister, a small container of ginger syrup and some fresh spring water. mmmmmm.....gives me some ideas!

writelots... Are you volunteering to carry the canister? I can find room for the syrup; heck, I'll even make it from scratch!

Jeffshadows
City, State: Old Pueblo

Post by Jeffshadows » Mar 25 2010 10:04 am

Te-wa: Baugh! :sl:
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

Jeffshadows
City, State: Old Pueblo

Post by Jeffshadows » Mar 25 2010 10:07 am

BTW: I'm pretty sure I can write a scientifically-defensible paper that proves that beer has exactly zero calories after you have just hiked >3,000' in a day... :D
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

Al_HikesAZ
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Mar 25 2010 10:40 am

te-wa wrote:see avatar.. te-wa, of the packing peanut stuffed cheeks
Yes Godfather 8) . I'm not sure which is scarier - your Ninja te-wa or your Godfather te-wa :o
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

writelots

Post by writelots » Mar 26 2010 11:50 am

PLC92084 wrote:writelots... Are you volunteering to carry the canister? I can find room for the syrup; heck, I'll even make it from scratch!
Sure, why not! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00007 ... ikearizona
-----------------------------------
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.- Barack Obama

writelots

Post by writelots » Mar 26 2010 11:51 am

te-wa wrote:te-wa, of the packing peanut stuffed cheeks
Oh, now THAT's awesome!
-----------------------------------
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.- Barack Obama

thedudephx
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by thedudephx » Apr 02 2010 8:25 am

I love vodka and hot cocoa, get flavored vodka adds a little something extra to the drink. Add in a cigar sitting around at sunset, great way to relax at the end of the day.
I have done Crown and DrPepper but only at home soda seems like to much weight to pack in.

BlueFrog
City, State: Mesa,Az

Post by BlueFrog » Apr 13 2010 11:43 am

Personally my relaxation consists of a few beers i froze into a slushy (make sure you take them out of the freezer before they explode) Then wrap them in a shirt or something to insulate them. So they are still cool and refreshing at the end of the hike. Long story short A cold beer, a BIG hooter (of some quality Greenery), Camp Fire. Doesnt get any better....Unless of coarse your nxt to a stream. :guilty:

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 13 2010 11:45 am

BlueFrog wrote: a BIG hooter (of some quality Greenery), Camp Fire. Doesnt get any better....Unless of coarse your nxt to a stream. :guilty:
:D

Welcome to HAZ! Stick around! It's fun!
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

kate

Post by kate » Feb 10 2011 5:59 pm

Really 53% don't enhance their hike with any substance? I think we've got quite a few closet partakers on this board.

I can think of few things better than a camp cocktail around the fire at night and a cup of french press coffee with a side of greens in the morning. Though we've been known to have a morning beer from time to time as well. And the victory beers waiting on ice back at the trailhead taste like the juice of unicorns...even more so when they're homebrewed.

Depending on the level of slackpacking involved, the specific libations might involve one or more of the following:
1) Canned IPAs (its amazing how many good AND local beers you can get in cans now. Total Wine is the place to go for canned selection).
2) Vodka and crystal light
3) Flask of scotch

te_wa
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Feb 10 2011 7:04 pm

kate wrote:Depending on the level of slackpacking involved, the specific libations might involve one or more of the following:
1) Canned IPAs (its amazing how many good AND local beers you can get in cans now. Total Wine is the place to go for canned selection).
2) Vodka and crystal light
3) Flask of scotch
Dale's Pale Ale
sailor jerry and orange tang or, some cheap ass brand of mango koolaid made by a mexican company whose name eludes me(mango tango)
flask of scotch. yum.
im definately taking you backpacking.
:D

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Feb 10 2011 9:06 pm

kate wrote:Really 53% don't enhance their hike with any substance? I think we've got quite a few closet partakers on this board.
I'm one of those. But I'll usually drink it if someone else brings it and offers it. I just never bring it. I would have to remember to buy it in order to bring it!

PageRob's rum in the cocoa went over quite well at Boucher Creek. And those goofy beers from El Salvador were interesting as well.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

kate

Post by kate » Feb 10 2011 9:21 pm

te-wa wrote: Dale's Pale Ale
Dales and Modus Hoperandi are my two favorite cans. Such yummy tasty hoppiness.

JoelHazelton

Post by JoelHazelton » Feb 10 2011 10:58 pm

kate wrote:
te-wa wrote: Dale's Pale Ale
Dales and Modus Hoperandi are my two favorite cans. Such yummy tasty hoppiness.
Santan Hop Shock IPA is definitely my favorite can. There's another one I love that is made by the same brewer as Dale's Pale, I think a scotch ale. Bothers me that I forget the name cause I actually have bought it quite a few times.
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

http://www.joelhazelton.com

JimmyLyding
City, State: Walnut Creek, CA

Post by JimmyLyding » Feb 11 2011 12:59 am

You may be thinking of Old Chub. But not this old chub: http://hikearizona.com/photo.php?ZIP=145058

cactuscat
City, State: Safford

Post by cactuscat » Feb 11 2011 1:19 am

Haven't found any drinks that really do it for me in the outdoors, but weed has always enhanced my enjoyment of nature. Smokin' nature in nature... it's only natural.
Where is the "dislike" button?

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Feb 11 2011 5:37 am

cactuscat wrote:Haven't found any drinks that really do it for me in the outdoors, but weed has always enhanced my enjoyment of nature. Smokin' nature in nature... it's only natural.
I've enjoyed that from time to time, but not lately, since I now hold a CDL and drive for a living.

JoelHazelton

Post by JoelHazelton » Feb 11 2011 8:14 am

@Jim Lyding
Yup, Old Chub. I especially like the "pack it in, pack it out" that they put at the bottom of every can.
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

http://www.joelhazelton.com

kevinweitzel75
City, State: Mesa, AZ.

Post by kevinweitzel75 » Feb 11 2011 12:48 pm

cactuscat wrote:but weed has always enhanced my enjoyment of nature. Smokin' nature in nature... it's only natural.
MMMMMMMMMMM...WEEEEED! Was a stoner in my younger years. Havent smoked it in 10+ years. Wish I could sometimes. (We need a stoned smiley)
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the road less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
Robert Frost

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Feb 11 2011 12:59 pm

With the new law, we need to update the survey to include an option for "legally prescribed medical substances" :D
Profound observer

Return to “Food/Recipes”