Best Mexican Food Restaurant in Superior / Miami / Globe?

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Area  • Globe, AZ
Grasshopper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Best Mexican Food Restaurant in Superior / Miami / Globe?

Post by Grasshopper » Jul 23 2008 10:31 am

If anyone can confirm or deny this below, previous post of mine (by having eaten here & other Mex restaurants in the area), please post your comments:

"Special Note: I now have it from high authority from an eight year local from Globe that THE PLACE to eat the best MEXICAN FOOD in GLOBE is:
Libby's El Rey Mexican Food Restaurant..
(East into Globe on Hwy60 north side, after Hwy188 intersection and before reaching Hill Street(which is the right turn off Hwy60 for this Six Shooter Trail hike)..Look for a Circle-K and Car Wash on the south side of Hwy60..)"

Original name/address/phone# is "NO LONGER":
Libby's El Rey Cafe
999 N Broad Street, Globe, AZ 85501
928-425-2054

NEW name/address is as of this 1/9/18 edit post:
J&R El Rey Café Reynoso's
999 N Broad Street, Globe, AZ 85501
928-425-8154
Location coordinates: 33.40423 -110.79260
(after dark easy to miss)
Last edited by joebartels on Apr 23 2019 4:08 am, edited 6 times in total.
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Best Mexican Food Restaurant in Superior/Globe?

Post by joebartels » Jul 23 2008 5:28 pm

Preston Sands wrote:Chalo's
Best fajitas on earth, highly recommended! The service is nothing to write home about but they could be the soup nazis and I'd still come back. Bear in mind they close the store for a week when they go on family vacation. I about cried last August :sweat:
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

cathymocha
City, State: Glendale, AZ

Post by cathymocha » Jul 23 2008 5:58 pm

I'm getting hungry. :)

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Jul 23 2008 7:02 pm

Preston Sands wrote:In my opinion, THE PLACE to eat the best MEXICAN FOOD in GLOBE is:
Chalo's La Casa Reynoso
Sounds like a strong argument for CHALO'S!!

I still owe topohiker-Ken a Mexican meal out as a celebration dinner for his YR'08 completion of ALL the published and then some- Superstition Wilderness east and west trails. Since we seem to head east on Hwy 60 for so many of our day hikes, figured we would end up one night in either Superior or Globe for dinner, so just wanted to hit the overall favorite!

Hoffmaster
City, State: Canton, OH

Post by Hoffmaster » Jul 23 2008 7:07 pm

El Rey uses way too much cheese. Yes people, there is such a thing as too much cheese. El Ranchito, at 686 N. Broad St is my favorite. We usually park our cars there when we go ride Six Shooter Canyon. There is nothing better than ripping 13 miles downhill on a mtn bike and then cruising right into a great Mexican restaurant.
"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals; I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

Hoffmaster
City, State: Canton, OH

Post by Hoffmaster » Jul 23 2008 7:10 pm

If you're in Superior, eat at Los Hermanos. Cheap and delicious! Get some freshly made tortillas while you're there.
"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals; I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

Al_HikesAZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Jul 23 2008 8:14 pm

In Miami - Guayo's El Rey on Sullivan Street next to the Catholic Church and across from Hostetler Pool is the best Mexican food in Arizona. I ate there in April and it is still as great as it was in the 1950's. The Combo - tamale, enchilada and taco. No beans or rice - those are just cheap fillers. Great frozen margarita - but don't drink it as fast as I did so you don't get a brain freeze. ;)
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jul 23 2008 10:46 pm

Thanks for the info, guys. I've eyed all those places from the car, wondering which one I should try first.

Chapman
City, State: Twin Oaks, MO

Post by Chapman » Jul 24 2008 9:48 pm

Chalo's Rule's . I believe Joe this would be my second or third posting. OH YEAH

te_wa
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Jul 25 2008 8:48 am

I vote Guayo's
remember: it has to be authentic (black olives, folks, dont come from Mexico)
and when I get to a Mex. Food joint, the waiter tells me they only have 2 types of tequila, el Tesoro blanco and Cazadores repasado (truley a mexican's favorite?) Im in the right place
:D

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Jul 25 2008 9:29 am

te-wa wrote:remember: it has to be authentic
No question with me that being authenic rules! One authenic quality in a Mex cafe that I always look for is: Mex spiced ground beef (NO shreded beef) in the tacos & enchiladas! Another is NO sour cream on anything :yuck: !
I grew up on the South Texas border only 8 miles from Reynoso, Mexico(where I had my FIRST for virtually everything..) so, any place with the name "Reynoso" in it has to be good... :D

Jeffshadows
City, State: Old Pueblo

Post by Jeffshadows » Jul 25 2008 9:42 am

Grasshopper wrote:
te-wa wrote:remember: it has to be authentic
No question with me that being authenic rules! One authenic quality in a Mex cafe that I always look for is: Mex spiced ground beef (NO shreded beef) in the tacos & enchiladas! Another is NO sour cream on anything :yuck: !
I grew up on the South Texas border only 8 miles from Reynoso, Mexico(where I had my FIRST for virtually everything..) so, any place with the name "Reynoso" in it has to be good... :D
Technically the shredded beef isauthentic for this region, especially frontal Sonora. In other regions the shredded meats were nearly always pork, but beef was prevalent here, especially during the Los Tucsonese times when ranching ruled the land in what is now southern AZ but then northern Mex. Thomas Sheridan wrote a couple of great books that incorporate the subject...
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

Jeffshadows

Post by Jeffshadows » Jul 25 2008 9:45 am

I missed your comment about growing up in Texas. For the record: ground beef fillings, or "Picadilla", are decidedly tex-mex. Not that there's anything wrong with that, just not my AZ Native 'tortilla of beef', so-to-speak :D
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Jul 25 2008 9:58 am

Jeff MacE wrote:Technically the shredded beef is authentic for this region, especially frontal Sonora.
Interesting! Different regions of MEX with different authenic ways to prepare. Guess I just grew-up in a region of "Tex-Mex" that preferred the Mex spiced ground beef more.

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jul 25 2008 9:59 am

It must be shredded beef for me.

te_wa
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Jul 25 2008 10:04 am

my fave is a Chile Relleno. No meat. I sometimes judge a restaruant on that one dish.
I think authentic in my terms is, NO sour cream, NO black olive. You want that junk, go to Garcia's (where there are more brands of whiskey than tequila, I kid you not)
:D

Jeffshadows

Post by Jeffshadows » Jul 25 2008 10:12 am

te-wa wrote:my fave is a Chile Relleno. No meat. I sometimes judge a restaruant on that one dish.
I think authentic in my terms is, NO sour cream, NO black olive. You want that junk, go to Garcia's (where there are more brands of whiskey than tequila, I kid you not)
Agreed; I almost always have to try their enchilada sauce. You can tell right away if it's canned or a home recipe. The former being a cruel joke to play on a patron!! :?
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Jul 25 2008 3:32 pm

Asking choice on Mexican food is like asking choice on hikes. You have to experience variety to find your choice.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

no avatar

Post by Guest » Oct 30 2008 4:30 am

Chalos for me

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Oct 30 2008 5:10 am

I pass through Globe often on my way to Yuma or Tucson. I always stop at the Taco Bell there. Fills my belly for two bucks.

Ok, shoot me.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Return to “Food/Recipes”