Best Beer Brewed in Arizona...

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
writelots
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Best Beer Brewed in Arizona...

Post by writelots » Oct 14 2009 11:57 am

Starting the topic that our own Indiana Jones silhouette recommended on a photo comment.

I want to vote for some Tucson contenders... I have been thoroughly enjoying the Citrus Blonde at the Barrio Brewery. Besides, I really just love hanging on the patio and getting a discount on my beer when the train goes by...
-----------------------------------
It troubles me that these days no matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up
- Lilly Tomlin

JoelHazelton
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Best Beer Brewed in Arizona...

Post by JoelHazelton » Oct 14 2009 12:12 pm

Oh man, what an exciting topic! Best Arizona wine should also be included!

Wine: the Kokopelli Wines, namely the "Sweet Lucy" is delicious. We usually buy the wine at Trader Joes, and the winery is in Chandler.

Beer: Oak Creek Nut Brown Ale is solid, as well as the Four Peaks Kiltlifter. I'm also a huge fan of the beers at Beaver Street. Their Bramble Berry Brew and R and R Oatmeal Stout are delicious! I visited Prescott Brewery once and got their little brew sampler. I wasn't particularly impressed with any of them, especially the one that was supposedly their best. They also didn't serve hot wings until 11:00 PM! All we wanted was tasty beer and wings!
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

http://www.joelhazelton.com

te_wa
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Oct 14 2009 12:18 pm

I thought Kiltlifter was good until i tried Nimbus Brewery's "Old Monkey Shine" currently my fav AZ beer. a new kid in town is "Sleepy Dog" beer with a tasting this month at Sun Devil Liquors in Mesa.
:D

dysfunction

Post by dysfunction » Oct 14 2009 12:29 pm

I think that this whole topic requires a proof of concept meeting at various breweries for further and detailed analysis.
mike

"Solvitur ambulando" or maybe by brewers.

writelots

Post by writelots » Oct 14 2009 1:22 pm

dysfunction wrote:I think that this whole topic requires a proof of concept meeting at various breweries for further and detailed analysis.
Hear Hear!
It troubles me that these days no matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up
- Lilly Tomlin

Jeffshadows
City, State: Old Pueblo

Post by Jeffshadows » Oct 14 2009 1:32 pm

I've always been a Gentle Ben's advocate. They have a decent amber...
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

dysfunction

Post by dysfunction » Oct 14 2009 1:49 pm

I like Ben's... We used to rotate through their beers back when we had a kegerator ... I mean.. back when I was single :sl:
mike

JoelHazelton
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by JoelHazelton » Oct 14 2009 2:19 pm

Just checked out the Gentle Ben's website and went through the food and the brews... Looks like it's worth a trip to Tucson!
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

http://www.joelhazelton.com

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Oct 14 2009 2:38 pm

Currently I'm going to settle on the 4 Peaks Pumpkin Porter. You don't even have to care for thick dark beers to enjoy this one. But its only out for a limited time every year.

There are two new breweries opening in Tempe this month, so hopefully it will bring in some delicious new choices.

Papago Brewing Co is a great place to sample. While they have a few of their own brews (Orange Blossom being their most popular, girly-favorite), they maintain about 30 taps with fresh kegs from breweries across the state and other western states. The list changes daily. Go on Tuesday, and there will be 10 new beers on tap by Friday. Awesome.
Highway to hell

writelots

Post by writelots » Oct 14 2009 3:09 pm

All of Gentle Ben's brews are actually made at the Barrio Brewing Co. The owner moved his actual brewing operation there several years ago, then opened the bar/grill a while after that. So, if you like Gentle Ben's beers, but not trying to find parking on campus - then the Barrio is the place for you! However, if you prefer the...ehem...scenery at Ben's better, I guess I can respect that ;)

And AZPride - there are MANY reasons to visit Tucson... Great beer is only the beginning!
- Lilly Tomlin

Jeffshadows
City, State: Old Pueblo

Post by Jeffshadows » Oct 14 2009 3:32 pm

There's some Mexican food and microbrewery place in Awahtukee that I stopped by once on the way back from up north. It was decent. I can't remember the name, though...
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

PrestonSands
City, State: Oro Valley, AZ

Post by PrestonSands » Oct 14 2009 3:32 pm

My favorite would be Pizza Hut's Bus Tub Brew. It had pepperoni and pizza crusts floating in it (and the occasional tip). And it was served in an attractive grey plastic bus tub.
"I'm going for a coffee, but you never know when a hike might break out." -Jim Gaffigan

hikeaz

Post by hikeaz » Oct 14 2009 5:15 pm

Jeff MacE wrote:There's some Mexican food and microbrewery place in Awahtukee that I stopped by once on the way back from up north. It was decent. I can't remember the name, though...
I hope that Joe has the bandwidth for this thread....

I don't know about the mexican food part; but could it have been 'Rock Bottom Brewery" on Ray, just west of I-10? (I like their 'Raptor Red")

I'd have to second the Old Monkey Shine as well as the Kiltlifter - those are my two Az. favorites. I recall going to Nimbus 10+ years ago and all their beers were god-awful - they have come a looong way since then. Mike, where'd you first have O.M.S.?
Total Wine & More has a nice selection of Arizona micros, with decent pricing as well.

We could start the 'activity' portion of this thread by meeting at Sun Devil Liquors in Mesa this Friday ... They are presenting SLEEPY DOG BREWERY - A brand new AZ. brewery!
All tastings run from 6-8pm with a cost of $5.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Arizona Beer Cage Fight

This Saturday, October 17th, Pitcher of Nectar (a distributor) will participate in an AZ Beer Battle. They are putting up Prescott Brewing Co 'Liquid Amber Ale' against some other fine AZ brews. Come down, taste and vote for you favorite. This Event will be held at Whole Foods in Chandler (Ray and the 101) from 1-4 pm. Come down and try what great beers AZ has to offer!
kurt

dysfunction

Post by dysfunction » Oct 14 2009 5:50 pm

Hey, is there a good brewery in the Mesa area that we can stop by on our way back from the Canyon on Monday?
mike

fricknaley

Post by fricknaley » Oct 14 2009 5:56 pm

hear hear to Kiltlifter :DANCE:
hi

hikeaz

Post by hikeaz » Oct 14 2009 5:58 pm

dysfunction wrote:Hey, is there a good brewery in the Mesa area that we can stop by on our way back from the Canyon on Monday?
I'd suggest Four Peaks Brewery (they are on 8th Street in Tempe, near ASU).

A place that I often stop after my Canyon trips is the Roadhouse Bar & Grill adjacent to the Harley dealer in Bellemont. (I-40, 12 miles west of Flag). They have about 20 craft beers on tap. (that way you don't need to wait as long to wet your whistle). Note: I always take the I-40 to SR64 route to/from the South Rim, so this is on the way. If you take the slower (although somewhat more scenic) SR180 route through Flag this would be geographically undesirable.
Bellemont was where part of the movie “Easy Rider” was filmed when outlaw bikers played by Peter Fonda and Dennis Hopper stopped in front of the Pine Breeze Motel. Trying to rent a room, a door is cracked, but when the proprietor spies their motorcycles, the glowing “NO VACANCY” sign begins to blink at the motel. The riders end up continuing down Route 66 and sleeping in the woods.
The Pine Breeze is about a half-mile east on old Rt. 66 from the Roadhouse and the authentic 'No Vacancy' sign from the movie hangs in the Roadhouse.
Last edited by hikeaz on Oct 14 2009 6:42 pm, edited 6 times in total.
kurt

dysfunction

Post by dysfunction » Oct 14 2009 6:01 pm

excellent.. writing them both down.. thanks!
mike

PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Oct 14 2009 6:25 pm

I'm going to second Oak Creek Nut Brown. Great beer. Plus I can get it on tap up here in Page!
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

te_wa
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Oct 14 2009 7:52 pm

whereveriroam (ed) gave me an OMS at the Kendrick hike.
:D

Randal_Schulhauser
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Randal_Schulhauser » Oct 14 2009 9:07 pm

Randal Schulhauser wrote:I still stand by my original cunundrum - having great difficulty making my final decision on the best beer in Arizona;

1A. Beaver Street Brewery R&R Oatmeal Stout ( dead link removed )
or
1B. Four Peaks Brewery Oatmeal Stout ( dead link removed )

Either way, you don't go wrong. Like that "hint" of chocolate...

PS. Tried some Four Peaks Pumpkin Porter today in a side-by-side comparison with their Oatmeal Stout. Oatmeal Stout remains exhibit "1B" on my list...

Return to “Food/Recipes”