Best Beer Brewed in Arizona...

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
writelots
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Best Beer Brewed in Arizona...

Post by writelots » Oct 14 2009 11:57 am

Starting the topic that our own Indiana Jones silhouette recommended on a photo comment.

I want to vote for some Tucson contenders... I have been thoroughly enjoying the Citrus Blonde at the Barrio Brewery. Besides, I really just love hanging on the patio and getting a discount on my beer when the train goes by...
-----------------------------------
It troubles me that these days no matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up
- Lilly Tomlin

Randal_Schulhauser
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Re: Best Beer Brewed in Arizona...

Post by Randal_Schulhauser » Oct 14 2009 9:49 pm

Jeff MacE wrote:There's some Mexican food and microbrewery place in Awahtukee that I stopped by once on the way back from up north. It was decent. I can't remember the name, though...
Rock Bottom Brewery @ Ray and I-10 in Ahwatukee?

http://www.rockbottom.com/DisplayLocati ... onID=10074

Other possibility is Arriba Mexican Grill on Chandler near 48th

http://www.arribamexicangrill.com/locat ... tukee.html

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Oct 14 2009 10:14 pm

Rock Bottom has a couple good ones, but Arriba doesn't brew beer. I don't know of a brewery in Ahwatukee.

There was the old Rio Salado Brewing Co, but that was in South Tempe on the east side of I-10 in an industrial-type park. Some might associate it with Ahwatukee. It closed a few years ago though.
Highway to hell

Randal_Schulhauser

Post by Randal_Schulhauser » Oct 14 2009 10:19 pm

chumley wrote:Rock Bottom has a couple good ones, but Arriba doesn't brew beer. I don't know of a brewery in Ahwatukee.

There was the old Rio Salado Brewing Co, but that was in South Tempe on the east side of I-10 in an industrial-type park. Some might associate it with Ahwatukee. It closed a few years ago though.
Arriba in Ahwatukee certainly brews it's own beer. Get it often, preferring their amber bock. Microbrew right on the site...
( dead link removed )

JoelHazelton
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by JoelHazelton » Oct 14 2009 10:21 pm

Never had Arriba's beer, but their New Mexican style food is downright delicious. It's hard to find a chain Mexican restaurant with seriously spicy dishes.
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

http://www.joelhazelton.com

chumley

Post by chumley » Oct 14 2009 11:28 pm

Sorry Randal- I didn't realize that. Only been to the one in Scottsdale and don't remember the beer (seem to recall pretty good margs though...)

Arriba isn't in the Arizona Craft Brewers Assn either, and they don't distribute outside of their restaurants at all. Course, neither do some of the other chains like BJs.

Anybody got info on Old World in north Phx? I've never checked them out either, but they've been in the news a bit lately.
Highway to hell

Jeffshadows
City, State: Old Pueblo

Post by Jeffshadows » Oct 15 2009 7:23 am

Yes! It was Arriba! I think I had their lager which was similar to Dos XX but far more flavorful.
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

Randal_Schulhauser

Post by Randal_Schulhauser » Oct 15 2009 8:58 am

chumley wrote:Sorry Randal- I didn't realize that. Only been to the one in Scottsdale and don't remember the beer (seem to recall pretty good margs though...)
Hey - just some tasty-suds lovers sharing some info! :) :) :)

Should check them out sometime if you're in the neighbourhood. Although I don't rate Arriba as "Best Beer Brewed in AZ", they do get consideration for the best combo of quality & price - $3 HH tall ones with courtesy chips and salsa (served with 3 tasty salsas - IMO their kick-butt Hatch Cilli Salsa is one of the best around!)...

Getting some excellent tips from this thread. Magnum's in Scottsdale ( dead link removed ) has some excellent high-end beers (now we are getting off-topic, because none are from Arizona!). I've leveraged Magnum's Scotch & Cigar services for a special event I hosted...

allanalxndr
City, State: Phx, AZ

Post by allanalxndr » Oct 15 2009 9:11 am

Randal Schulhauser wrote:Magnum's in Scottsdale ( dead link removed ) has some excellent high-end beers (now we are getting off-topic, because none are from Arizona!). I've leveraged Magnum's Scotch & Cigar services for a special event I hosted...
(Still Off Topic)I've never been to the one in Scottsdale but the one @ 7th St and Union Hills was pretty cool. Not a fan of smokey places but the cigar smells were pretty good. Huge selection or anything from the bar. Maybe one of many cool places for a HAZ Meet and Greet... you know for all of us that are keyboard hikers - ;)

hikeaz

Post by hikeaz » Oct 15 2009 3:05 pm

UPDATE: From Sun Devil liquors re. tomorrow's tasting......
"Sleepy Dog Brewery is not quite ready with their beers.
Instead, we will have a tasting this friday with Rock Art from Vermont." (not an Arizona beer - but, hey, it's called 'Rock Art'.. close enough)
"Stay tuned - we'll have a Sleepy Dog tasting very soon and know you'll wanna come out to support your newest local brewery. Remember that we now open at 3pm on thurs, fri, and sat!"
kurt

JimmyLyding
City, State: Walnut Creek, CA

Post by JimmyLyding » Oct 15 2009 5:24 pm

I'd vote for Old Monkey Shines as well. We had a keg of it at our tailgate before a 'Cats game a few years ago. That was a mistake, and I'll spare y'all nice people the details.
Dirty Guera from Nimbus is also good, but can be spotty. Sometimes it is awesome (especially out of a keg....much better tailgate brew), but sometimes it's a little "grass-y" out of the bottle.
I've tried the Prescott Brewery's Amber Ale (can), and it's actually pretty solid. Much better when poured into a glass, obviously.
My local Safeway used to carry Oak Creek Gold Lager, and I love it. However, I have to go to Total Wine to get it. BTW a Total Wine is opening up @ 16th Street/Camelback. That's trouble.

The old Rio Salado Brewery had some really really good brews. I miss their kolsch-style.

tibber
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by tibber » Oct 15 2009 5:58 pm

First of all, I am really needing a beer. But somehow, they only taste best after a good day of hiking and if they come out of Randy's cooler ;) .

Second, I told my boss about this topic in the forum and he says, "You mean the HIKE Arizona site".
YEP!
He was impressed. :D
For me, sometimes it's just as much about the journey as the destination.
Oh, and once in awhile, don't forget to look back at the trail you've traveled.

writelots

Post by writelots » Oct 16 2009 7:56 am

Yes, the best drinking site with a hiking problem...
-----------------------------------
It troubles me that these days no matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up
- Lilly Tomlin

jdsteele
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by jdsteele » Oct 16 2009 6:04 pm

Paraphrasing photographer Chase Jarvis: the best beer is the one in your hand after hiking Arizona. (the best camera is the one you have with you).

Randal_Schulhauser

Post by Randal_Schulhauser » Oct 17 2009 8:23 am

My wife and I will be attending "PARKTOBERFEST" fundraiser ( dead link removed ) for Parkinson's Disease (sponsored by the Arizona Parkinson's Disease Association and Banner Healthcare). The event features many local craftbrews that have been mentioned in this Forum thread. Looking forward to it... :)

Crocodile Ryan
City, State: Tempe, Az

Post by Crocodile Ryan » Oct 19 2009 11:30 am

Id have to say its my Dry Porter that I brew up every Fall for thanksgiving....no its my IPA, wait I think it woudl be the gueuze I just bottled...........
An adventure is merely an inconvience rightly considered

dysfunction

Post by dysfunction » Oct 19 2009 5:48 pm

stopped by Four Peaks today on the way back from the canyon and had the sampler with lunch ;) the seasonal brew was really quite tasty, but they won't even do growlers now until just before Thanksgiving :(
mike

"Solvitur ambulando" or maybe by brewers.

JimmyLyding
City, State: Walnut Creek, CA

Post by JimmyLyding » Nov 19 2009 9:30 pm

The current seasonal at Four Peaks is unavailable forever. Don't even think of trying to get one on the 24th. They won't be there. In other, unrelated, news you may find that Chumley and I may need rides home on the 24th....

dysfunction

Post by dysfunction » Nov 19 2009 9:34 pm

Well, then I guess the 4 ounces they included in the sampler is all I'll ever get to have :sl:
mike

"Solvitur ambulando" or maybe by brewers.

chumley

Post by chumley » Dec 10 2009 3:19 pm

Beer Update! (From the Four Peaks Facebook page)
This year's Winter Wobbler will be available tomorrow for $5 a pint. It will be a Strong Scotch Ale and will be clocking a pretty substantial 8.7% ABV. This baby will have a mild sweetness to it and very low bitterness and is dangerously drinkable!
Because dangerously drinkable are my two favorite words! :y:
Highway to hell

whereveriroam
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by whereveriroam » Dec 10 2009 5:23 pm

All this talk about beer is making me thirsty. My vote is for Old Monkeyshine from Nimbus and it's 8.2%, their Red Ale is also good but only 5.0% +/-

Return to “Food/Recipes”