Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Jim_H
Climate Windchime
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Best Pizza in Flagstaff or Northern AZ

Post by Jim_H » Apr 22 2011 11:28 am

This thread is long over due.

For me, it's a toss up between the really good pies at New Jersey Pizza on Cedar just west of 4th, and Ni Marcos on Beaver south of the tracks. New Jersey Pizza is slow (420 friendly), and every time I have ordered, I show up late and still wait for my pizza. But, they are really good and use local fresh ingredients for their toppings. Their green chili pizza is the best I ever had. I only had their's and one other.

Ni Marco's is good, too, and they are reliable and get their times right.

I know Jake's old place was good, but they shut down. Alpine is ketchup on a cracker, and the City Pizza is Dominos in a different wrapper.
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Re: Best Pizza in Flagstaff or Northern AZ

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 22 2011 3:18 pm

Oh, well, I always have a couple free passes to Peter Piper sitting here, so I don't try the other places too often, and if I do go, I get something else. Such as Stromboli's, which I didn't think was all that great, I got some sort of chicken pasta dish. It was very bland. I also went to Mama Luisa's, and it was very bland as well. I really like hot, spicy food, I guess. I mean, if I make spaghetti at home, when you taste the sauce, you KNOW you are tasting something, not just glorified ketchup.

I have twice eaten at Dominic's on Ft. Valley Road (180) and thought it was really good. Both times I ordered some kind of stromboli. It was great! It has been several years since I ate there, though. It's right on your way to Grand Canyon.

My roommate is the manager of the Peter Piper's and sometimes he will make up a "creative" pizza and bring it home. It is always pretty spicy. I like that.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Jim_H
Climate Windchime

Post by Jim_H » Apr 24 2011 1:56 pm

Not a big fan of chain pizza. Something about food that came from a factory, when merged with pizza, is wrong. Well, the dough anyway. Sauce and cheese, well, not much you can do about that.

Dominos, Pizza Hut, Papa John, any of them, are just too fast food like for me.

chumley
budding artist
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Apr 24 2011 3:43 pm

How about Oregano's? That's a chain with a Flagstaff location. I don't think "factory" whilst enjoying one of their excellent thin-crust selections.
smoke it

Jim_H
Climate Windchime

Post by Jim_H » Apr 24 2011 3:54 pm

I thought that was who Jake worked for before they closed?

PaleoRob
Culture Kokopelli
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Apr 24 2011 6:13 pm

Picazzos usually does it up pretty good. Plus it is the only gluten-free pizza in the area, so its the only pizza my wife can eat.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 25 2011 6:40 am

While we are talking about Flagstaff, have to say that Satchmo's on 4th Street has awesome catfish. Haven't tried their ribs yet.

I get awfully tired of pizza.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

hippiepunkpirate
Chameleon Kokopelli
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Post by hippiepunkpirate » Apr 25 2011 9:29 am

Jim_H wrote:I thought that was who Jake worked for before they closed?
No, I worked for Roma. And being the longest-term Flagstaff resident on site at 25 years, and being a "pizza-connoisseur" of-sorts, I think my opinion is king. I therefore dub NiMarco's as THE best pizza in Flagstaff :y:
My website: Mountain Tripper
I also write for: Territory Supply

Jim_H
Climate Windchime

Post by Jim_H » Apr 25 2011 9:59 am

I'd say it's a "toss up".

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Jun 17 2011 5:17 am

Ate at La Fonda's Mexican place last night. Located at 2nd St. and 2nd Ave. in Sunnyside, East Flagstaff.

As I had heard from friends, it is not that great at all, but is so popular that even on a Thursday there was a wait. I am not sure why it is so popular. The food was just so-so. Their table salsa that comes with the chips is not fresh, is hot but not all that tasty. There is not a lot of fresh stuff in the food, etc. It is okay, just not outstanding.

The taco shop on Route 66 at Fanning, where I go all the time, called Tacos Los Altos, is a lot tastier. There is another taco stand, harder to find, called Las Gorditas, that is also good. Both places are large and have tables and some service, but mostly you order at the counter.

PaleoRob
Culture Kokopelli

Post by PaleoRob » Jun 17 2011 6:20 am

azbackpackr wrote:Ate at La Fonda's Mexican place last night. Located at 2nd St. and 2nd Ave. in Sunnyside, East Flagstaff.

As I had heard from friends, it is not that great at all, but is so popular that even on a Thursday there was a wait. I am not sure why it is so popular. The food was just so-so. Their table salsa that comes with the chips is not fresh, is hot but not all that tasty. There is not a lot of fresh stuff in the food, etc. It is okay, just not outstanding.

The taco shop on Route 66 at Fanning, where I go all the time, called Tacos Los Altos, is a lot tastier. There is another taco stand, harder to find, called Las Gorditas, that is also good. Both places are large and have tables and some service, but mostly you order at the counter.
Did you order a pizza?
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual

PLC92084
∞kopelli
City, State: Vista, CA

Post by PLC92084 » Jun 17 2011 6:47 am

@PageRob
Would that be a Gringo Tostada?

paulhubbard
Harley Kokopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by paulhubbard » Jun 17 2011 7:18 am

I can't help but giggle at Liz a little... Forum topic = "Best Pizza in Flagstaff or Northern AZ"
azbackpackr wrote:Both times I ordered some kind of stromboli
azbackpackr wrote:Satchmo's on 4th Street has awesome catfish. Haven't tried their ribs yet
azbackpackr wrote:Ate at La Fonda's Mexican place last night.
(hope you know I'm kidding Liz!!)
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Jun 17 2011 7:28 am

Is there a Flagstaff thread about regular restaurants? Not that I could find. Did I want to start a new thread? No. Should the person who started this thread change its name? Might not be a bad idea... ;)

The only pizza I have eaten in Flag has been at Peter Piper, because my roommate is one of the managers, so I get a lot of freebies. Their Chicago pizza, and I choose the thin crispy crust (but there are other choices) is pretty good for a chain-store pizza. Very spicy. I like spicy food. Of course, the ambience at Peter Piper is something akin to that at Chuckie Cheese....without the shootings... :o Best to go there when it's not busy.

Trishness
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by Trishness » Jun 17 2011 3:32 pm

I love Roma's white pizza......lots of garlic.............yummy
Trish-Kabob

"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds" Ed Abbey

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Jun 17 2011 4:47 pm

Jim, when you get to tookson try Zachary's on 6th. im not usually a fan of deep dish but OMG..
Zachary's. big beer selection too.
:D

Cheerycow
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by Cheerycow » Oct 19 2011 4:33 pm

azbackpackr wrote:Is there a Flagstaff thread about regular restaurants? Not that I could find. Did I want to start a new thread? No. Should the person who started this thread change its name? Might not be a bad idea... ;)

The only pizza I have eaten in Flag has been at Peter Piper, because my roommate is one of the managers, so I get a lot of freebies. Their Chicago pizza, and I choose the thin crispy crust (but there are other choices) is pretty good for a chain-store pizza. Very spicy. I like spicy food. Of course, the ambience at Peter Piper is something akin to that at Chuckie Cheese....without the shootings... :o Best to go there when it's not busy.
Well, the only pizza I have had in Flagstaff was the best pizza I have ever had in my entire life! No lie.
In May 2000 I decided to repeat the solo Grand Canyon trip to Clear Creek that I had done in October 1999. But, the idyllic trip of the past was not to be repeated. The weather was uncommonly hot (108 at Phantom for the first 3 days and then 106-7 for the last two) and I got off to a bad start on that first day. 24 miles with a huge pack (camera gear) and 108 degrees will do that to you. I never was in serious danger but the semi-dehydration on the first day seriously affected my ability to eat. So for the entire trip below the rim I hardly ate anything. When I dragged my body back to the South Rim I was destroyed. After chucking whatever was in my stomach, I drove out of the park and to a nearby parking lot where I napped for an hour. Then it was seek out food time. The two or three places I tried had either long lines or food that just didn't sound right so I started the drive home. When I was on the outskirts of Flag I stopped at a small pizzeria (cannot remember the name) and ordered two slices to go. As I drove I savored the first real food in 5 days. It was beyond delicious. It was the best meal I think I have ever had!

I ate consistently for another 3 or four days to regain the weight I lost. Lesson learned. ;)
"In the woods, too, a man casts off his years, as the snake his slough, and at what period soever of life, is always a child...in this wood, we return to reason and faith." R.W. Emerson

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Oct 19 2011 5:14 pm

If you went to Flag from Grand Canyon via 180, (rather than by way of Williams) the place you ate likely was Dominic's which went out of business, and there is another restaurant there now. Dominic's Italian Bistro. As trip leader for a couple of Grand Canyon backpacks, I chose that place twice as our lunch stop on the way to the Canyon. It was really good. I always got the stromboli, though.

Reading through this thread, I realize that Jim's response when I brought this up before, was something about Domino's. I never even noticed that. Not Domino's. Dominics. Very bad location to stay in business in this town, so, not in business any more.

Jim_H
Climate Windchime

Post by Jim_H » Oct 22 2011 10:09 am

I treated my self to a pie at New Jersey Pizza on Cedar in Flag last night. It was great. I got a 12 inch with green chili and bacon. A really good combination, and very enjoyable. I dare say I think NJ Pizza is the best in Flag. I know Jake likes Ni Marco's and they're pretty good, but the last few times I had them I found them to be very salty. Mostly, I was eating at Ni Marco's for the slices. I was really pleased that NJ was either not very busy, or they are getting better with time. I had my pie done in 20 minutes, and that was right at what they told me it would be.

We only have a "Pizza Edge" in Utahizona, and I noticed one in Tuba City yesterday. Has anyone ever had them? I imagine they aren't very good, but they could be. If they are like the Chinese take out we have, I will be very disappointed.

PaleoRob
Culture Kokopelli

Post by PaleoRob » Oct 22 2011 12:13 pm

Don't forget Piccadilly Circus pizza (found in gas stations) and Navajo Pizza.
-Old Spiritual

Return to “Food/Recipes”