Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
JoelHazelton
Luminosopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Best place to grab a post-hike craft beer

Post by JoelHazelton » Apr 22 2011 1:05 pm

Inspired by the mexican food/pizza posts, I'm wondering about good places around AZ to grab a beer after a hike or backpack trip. The smaller/more obscure towns would be especially appreciated, because I'm used to only coming across only the cheap domestics at those places.
Some places I've stopped at post-hike:

Prescott- Prescott Brewery. The Petrified Porter is good, but their seasonal "Achocolypse" (which is Petrified Porter brewed with milk chocolate) is absolutely amazing.
Flagstaff- Lumberyard Brewery. Imperial Red was awesome.
Sedona- Oak Creek Brewery. Boo. Not a single redeeming quality here. Chicken quesadilla was mediocre, beer was watery.
Tucson- Nimbus Brewey- Though I love Old Monkeyshine from a bottle,it was twice as good on tap.

In Tempe we'll frequent Boulders on Broadway and Four Peaks after gym climbing. Actually, we're spoiled here in Tempe. Example: I live next to the most ghetto looking corner store ever, but upon walking in you'd think you're in a Total Wine.

Yardhouse would be a good place to hit on the way in town from the west. I suppose Rock Bottom from the northwest, though I wasn't impressed with any of their beers.

Any ideas? I'm particularly curious about the Payson area.
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

http://www.joelhazelton.com

chumley
budding artist
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Best place to grab a post-hike craft beer

Post by chumley » Jun 24 2016 4:11 pm

@mazatzal
Well if there's finally something good to drink there, next time I visit, I might just have to Bremain. Or is it too late for that now? :whistle:
smoke it

mazatzal
Mazopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by mazatzal » Jun 24 2016 4:43 pm

Too late :o

chumley
budding artist

Post by chumley » Jul 26 2016 4:32 pm

This guy should stick to beer. He obviously knows nothing about hiking! :roll:
@jonnybackpack 's three best hikes
;)
smoke it

rcorfman
Wanzigopelli

Post by rcorfman » Jul 27 2016 11:31 pm

Just got off the Wonderland Trail in Mount Rainier National Park, WA. The restaurant in the National Park Inn at Longmire serves Wonderland IPA. It really hit the spot. I hear it is served at the Sunrise restaurant too.
Go find a LonelyCache

hikeaz
Socialpelli

Post by hikeaz » Sep 06 2017 10:17 am

SunUp Brewing in Phoenix taps its new limited-release 'Wild Thing', a Southwest double IPA dry-hopped with rare Arizona wild hops, today. SunUp brewers collected 25 pounds of the large hops (shown in link below with beer can for size comparison) and also used 40 pounds of agave to create Wild Thing (8% ABV, 85 IBUs).
http://mouthbysouthwes...
kurt

hikeaz
Socialpelli

Post by hikeaz » Sep 06 2017 10:35 am

Alston_Neal wrote:Broke with our traditional post hike Mexican food fest and tried Verde Brewing Company. On the main drag in Camp Verde.
Verde Brewing has recently vacated the 'big barn- aka Boler's Bldg.' on the main drag in C.V.; the new address is 724 N. Industrial Drive, Unit 7a, Camp Verde, AZ. Just off the main Cottonwood/C.V. exit, just east of I-17, north down that small road kinda behind Starbucks. It was their production facility and now will house production and a taproom/limited-menu restaurant.
I will miss the 'beer garden' at the old place.
kurt

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Sep 06 2017 4:03 pm

Lochiel and 12West are both knockin' em dead. great stuff there.
:D

SpiderLegs
Former Brand Emphasizer
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by SpiderLegs » Sep 06 2017 4:20 pm

While this post is still alive and kicking with new additions we stumbled onto the Beer Research Institute a few days ago. If they were smart they would figure out a way to take advantage of Wilderness Brewing's constant waiting list on the weekends. I found myself out in the east valley over the weekend, right down the street from Wilderness Brewing. Wanted to see if Chumley had more pictures of himself up on the wall. But alas I couldn't even find a place to park, even the overflow parking was jammed. Pulled out my phone and the next closest place was the Beer Research Institute in Mesa. Tucked away in strip mall next to a movie theater my expectations were low. Very surprised at how good it was.
See my pics on Instagram @tucsonexplorer

chumley
budding artist

Post by chumley » Sep 06 2017 4:23 pm

@SpiderLegs

BRI is quality. Definitely worth a visit.
As for AZW, I've found the crowds to be significantly better than they used to be. But prime time isn't ever gonna be good.
After 8pm on a weekend night and you should be ok. But that 5-8pm window is never a good time (pretty much at any place that people like!)
smoke it

hikeaz
Socialpelli

Post by hikeaz » Sep 06 2017 5:02 pm

Love BRI's Street Cred! Have not been there, though in a coupla months; have they opened the expanded area in the adjacent space to the north yet?
Last edited by hikeaz on Sep 06 2017 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kurt

SpiderLegs
Former Brand Emphasizer

Post by SpiderLegs » Sep 06 2017 5:37 pm

@chumley
chumley wrote:After 8pm on a weekend night and you should be ok. But that 5-8pm window is never a good time (pretty much at any place that people like!)
The chances of me ever being east of the airport after 8 PM are slim to none unfortunately. By then I'm looking for places within walking/stumbling distance of my house.

chumley
budding artist

Post by chumley » Sep 06 2017 6:25 pm

@SpiderLegs It's good right after church too. Just go to the early service. They open at 11. :)
smoke it

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Sep 06 2017 7:24 pm

te_wa wrote:Lochiel
A little over a year ago I was in Lochiel, Scotland, where the beer was about as good as it gets. Just seeing the name makes me thirsty.

neilends
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale

Post by neilends » Sep 06 2017 9:54 pm

The new Vig in North Scottsdale is heavily geared toward hikers and mountain bikers. It's a 2 minute drive from the Gateway Loop trailhead of the McDowell-Sonoran Preserve. There's direct views of the McDowell Mountains from the patio. In part because of Scottsdale's snooty visual signage rules the whole building has a cool desert theme to it.

Food is not great. Go there for the hike and then beer.
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." --John Adams

DarthStiller
Lombardi Caretaker
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by DarthStiller » Sep 07 2017 6:12 am

The BRI brews are very good. I took the family there for lunch on a Sunday 2 summers ago and we actually had to send some food back. I'll buy the beers if I see them somewhere, but our experience there for the food wasn't good.

Just discovered Lochiel. Brews are quality, but not hoppy enough for my liking. Everything seems to be a twist on the Scottish recipes, which makes sense. The Strong Pale just tastes like another Scottish ale.

SpiderLegs
Former Brand Emphasizer

Post by SpiderLegs » Sep 07 2017 11:15 am

chumley wrote:It's good right after church too. Just go to the early service. They open at 11.
That might be one of your better ideas. I've been attending a Lutheran church lately and you know what they say about Lutherans. Wherever three or four are gathered, there's always a fifth.

hikeaz
Socialpelli

Post by hikeaz » Sep 07 2017 11:19 am

SpiderLegs wrote:
chumley wrote:It's good right after church too. Just go to the early service. They open at 11.
That might be one of your better ideas. I've been attending a Lutheran church lately and you know what they say about Lutherans. Wherever three or four are gathered, there's always a fifth.
:sl:
kurt

Hansenaz
Ancient Dwellapelli

Post by Hansenaz » Sep 07 2017 3:03 pm

SpiderLegs wrote:they say about Lutherans. Wherever three or four are gathered, there's always a fifth
Well that wasn't true of my grandfather the Rev. Schwegler, but it certainly was of my other Lutheran grandpa Hansen.

rcorfman
Wanzigopelli

Post by rcorfman » Sep 10 2017 8:51 pm

Carver Brewing Co. in Durango, CO offers a free pint of their Colorado Trail Nut Brown Ale to those finishing their Colorado Trail hike. Let me tell ya, it's tasty!
Go find a LonelyCache

rwstorm
Car Campin Kopelli

Post by rwstorm » Sep 12 2017 6:11 pm

@rcorfman
Carver's is a winner.
From the vaults of Jacob Waltz...with a little help from his Buddy Weiser

Return to “Food/Recipes”