Best place to grab a post-hike craft beer

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
JoelHazelton
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Best place to grab a post-hike craft beer

Post by JoelHazelton » Apr 22 2011 1:05 pm

Inspired by the mexican food/pizza posts, I'm wondering about good places around AZ to grab a beer after a hike or backpack trip. The smaller/more obscure towns would be especially appreciated, because I'm used to only coming across only the cheap domestics at those places.
Some places I've stopped at post-hike:

Prescott- Prescott Brewery. The Petrified Porter is good, but their seasonal "Achocolypse" (which is Petrified Porter brewed with milk chocolate) is absolutely amazing.
Flagstaff- Lumberyard Brewery. Imperial Red was awesome.
Sedona- Oak Creek Brewery. Boo. Not a single redeeming quality here. Chicken quesadilla was mediocre, beer was watery.
Tucson- Nimbus Brewey- Though I love Old Monkeyshine from a bottle,it was twice as good on tap.

In Tempe we'll frequent Boulders on Broadway and Four Peaks after gym climbing. Actually, we're spoiled here in Tempe. Example: I live next to the most ghetto looking corner store ever, but upon walking in you'd think you're in a Total Wine.

Yardhouse would be a good place to hit on the way in town from the west. I suppose Rock Bottom from the northwest, though I wasn't impressed with any of their beers.

Any ideas? I'm particularly curious about the Payson area.
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

http://www.joelhazelton.com

hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Best place to grab a post-hike craft beer

Post by hikeaz » Oct 06 2011 10:35 am

I'll be in the Canyon, but, if you are hiking in-town on October 29th or 30th you could maybe use this afterwards>
I am unsure whether this includes admission to the fair itself, but I would bet that it does.

http://www.groupon.com/deals/arizona-st ... source=rvs

Amid the bright lights and engaging attractions of the Arizona State Fair, Beerfest fills mouths with local brews, craft beers, and traditional American favorites.
Quaff local bounty as Arizona brewers Sleepy Dog, Mogollon, and Mudshark serve three specialties each, or refresh palates with Anheuser-Busch mainstays—
such as Stella, Beck's, and Bud Light (GAK!)—hewn from wheat, laced with lime (to hopefully mask its otherwise putrid flavor).
Or, if you like beer, pick from a roster boasting brews including Deschutes’s Mirror Pond pale ale, Odell’s 90 Shilling, and Kona's Pipeline Porter.
kurt

JoelHazelton

Post by JoelHazelton » Oct 07 2011 4:45 pm

Hooray for Pipeline Porter season! Huge fan of that beer. As for the festival- From the description, it sounds like a beer event I attended in Flagstaff last year. A bunch of beers I can get at the Walgreens by my house (except for the northern AZ beers, but I can just go grab a pint of one of those next time I head up north).
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

te_wa
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Nov 11 2011 9:25 am

steering back on topic, it's time to hit the desert trails again. one stop along the way is the Handlebar Pub just minutes from the FIrst Water t/h. lemme tell you.. this place is well talked-about in the craft beer circles and has an outstanding tap selection. bottles of rare and tasty craft beer as well. It should be well worth the 6 minutes out of the way if your party is travelling home on the 60 from any of the trails out that way.

a craft beer pub in A.J. isnt what i'd expect; but considering the quality of this place, and it's proximity to the Supes, i'll certainly wanna check it out. Sounds a lot like a cross between Papago and Boulders.
also, the menu is better than average(looking-havent eaten yet) food like pork loin, grass fed beef burgers, free range chicken, etc.. quality for sure, to match the quality beer. well done!
http://www.yelp.com/biz/handlebar-pub-a ... e-junction

now, to make an excuse to head out to the Supes.. :D
:D

no avatar
DzrtRat67
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by DzrtRat67 » Nov 15 2011 7:04 pm

+1 on the Handlebar Pub in AJ..... no place like it in the east valley. This place *IS* your excuse to head out to the Supes.

Rat

hikeaz

Post by hikeaz » Nov 15 2011 7:12 pm

If coming back from the south trailheads of south mountain, you may want to try Keegan's (48th/Ray).
On tap: Nimbus Dirty Guera, Mudshark Desrt Magic IPA, Odell Isolation Ale, Deschute Jubelale, Firestone Walker Velvet Merlin & Four Peaks Kiltlifter.
Coming soon- Stone IPA, Odell Cutthroat Porter and others yet undecided. All crafts are $4.00 at Happy Hour and $5.00 or $6.00 regular price.
kurt

te_wa

Post by te_wa » Nov 15 2011 7:17 pm

dont forget the Watering Hole in whole foods/chandler
ray and the 101

nobody can touch this beer selection. it is world class.

johnlp
City, State: chandler,az

Post by johnlp » Nov 15 2011 7:30 pm

Stopped by the Handlebar Sunday afternoon but it was closed. :(
“Good people drink good beer.” Hunter S Thompson

hikeaz

Post by hikeaz » Nov 15 2011 7:37 pm

johnlp wrote:Stopped by the Handlebar Sunday afternoon but it was closed. :(
Mon - Thu: Noon - 10
Fri - Sat: Noon - Midnight
Sun. - Closed
kurt

te_wa

Post by te_wa » Nov 15 2011 9:25 pm

update: we did go out to the Handlebar with the arizona craft beer lovers group, and had a good time. family friendly, good selection on tap and a take out cooler with many great choices.

I had a 1/3 lb burger cooked on a wood fire (pecan, i think) w/ prosciutto and bleu cheese, and a few beers including Serpent's Stout from Lost Abbey, a 120 minute ipa from Dogfish Head, and a Velvet Merkin by FirestoneWalker. All in a little non-assuming building without any flair, I called it a dive with a very welcoming atmosphere. this place is totally out of it's element... nothing more. and that's fine by me!

also, plenty of parking
Last edited by te_wa on Mar 09 2013 9:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

te_wa

Post by te_wa » Nov 28 2011 9:03 pm

one more great tap list for the Southern AZ hikes:

(dead link removed)

1702 pizzeria and pub, Tucson. well done, guys!

makes me wanna hit up the Chiricahua's after all.

Al_HikesAZ
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Nov 28 2011 9:06 pm

OK - in Bellemont -- the Route 66 Road House. Umpteen beers on tap. But I'm a Tequila guy so I don't know if any of those beers are any good. Sorry.
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

hikeaz

Post by hikeaz » Nov 29 2011 11:02 am

te-wa wrote:steering back on topic, it's time to hit the desert trails again. one stop along the way is the Handlebar Pub just minutes from the FIrst Water t/h. lemme tell you.. this place is well talked-about in the craft beer circles and has an outstanding tap selection. bottles of rare and tasty craft beer as well. It should be well worth the 6 minutes out of the way if your party is travelling home on the 60 from any of the trails out that way.

a craft beer pub in A.J. isnt what i'd expect; but considering the quality of this place, and it's proximity to the Supes, i'll certainly wanna check it out. Sounds a lot like a cross between Papago and Boulders.
also, the menu is better than average(looking-havent eaten yet) food like pork loin, grass fed beef burgers, free range chicken, etc.. quality for sure, to match the quality beer. well done!
http://www.yelp.com/biz/handlebar-pub-a ... e-junction

now, to make an excuse to head out to the Supes.. :D
Saturday, December 10th at the Handlebar 7-10 PM (after a full day of Sups hiking) ...The Phoenix Blues Society will be producing the "Memphis Benefit" to aid this year's winner of the Arizona Blues Showdown, the Common Ground Blues Band, in their efforts to get to Memphis to compete in next year's International Blues Challenge.
Artists confirmed to appear include: The Sugar Thieves; Hans Olson & Chuck Hall; Crosscut Saw; the Blue Sky Band featuring Tina Bailey, the Blues hounds and our very own Common Ground Blues Band. It will be a great day of Phoenix Blues!
kurt

Espi

Post by Espi » Dec 21 2011 5:03 pm

+1 on the Handlebar. I stopped in after a round of golf with my pops last Friday. Good people and a great tap selection.

Flannagans on McClintock and Elliot is another good craft beer place with good food. I mention it cause it is close to my house. Boulders on Broadway always works for me too.

chumley

Post by chumley » Jun 14 2012 3:01 pm

Anybody been to the new Hops on Birch in Flagstaff? 22 rotating handles of craft beer plus bottles and the motto: "Good people drink good beer." Apparently open a couple of months now?
Highway to hell

hikeaz

Post by hikeaz » Jun 14 2012 4:28 pm

I'll give H.o.B. a try next week when I am in Flag. Thanks for the update on them.

For Rim-goers...
Be on the lookout @ our Rimside Grill location in Pine, soon to be 'That Brewery and Pub'.
We just finished the mash tun today and plan to hook up the glycol chiller tomorrow. Hoping to be selling fresh That Brewery beers within 3 weeks - will be increasing to 12 taps total, offering rotating micros as well as 'That Brewery' beer.
kurt

chumley

Post by chumley » Jun 14 2012 4:40 pm

They are officially THAT Brewery already. Rimside is no longer. We were in a couple of weeks ago. The brewing licenses are still in process, so the brewing will be several months away. But they do expect to have tasters of their beers available (not sure how that works with the licensing thing, but that's not my department). They've redone the front of the place into a very attractive bar area.
Highway to hell

JoelHazelton

Post by JoelHazelton » Jun 14 2012 4:47 pm

My bro-in-law, who lives in Flag, has talked about Hops on Birch a couple times now. I don't remember what exactly he's said about it, but I'm sure it's awesome!

te_wa

Post by te_wa » Jun 14 2012 7:30 pm

anything in the white mnts??

chumley

Post by chumley » Jun 15 2012 10:15 am

Wallow Smoked Porter?
Highway to hell

hikeaz

Post by hikeaz » Jun 18 2012 10:08 am

chumley wrote:The brewing licenses are still in process, so the brewing will be several months away. But they do expect to have tasters of their beers available (not sure how that works with the licensing thing, but that's not my department).
Update from the Feds as of Friday is that the license will be in place on the 23rd - June.
te-wa wrote:anything in the white mnts??
My go-to place is Moose Henri's > http://www.moosehenris.com/index.php/beer
kurt

Return to “Food/Recipes”