Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
JoelHazelton
Luminosopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Best place to grab a post-hike craft beer

Post by JoelHazelton » Apr 22 2011 1:05 pm

Inspired by the mexican food/pizza posts, I'm wondering about good places around AZ to grab a beer after a hike or backpack trip. The smaller/more obscure towns would be especially appreciated, because I'm used to only coming across only the cheap domestics at those places.
Some places I've stopped at post-hike:

Prescott- Prescott Brewery. The Petrified Porter is good, but their seasonal "Achocolypse" (which is Petrified Porter brewed with milk chocolate) is absolutely amazing.
Flagstaff- Lumberyard Brewery. Imperial Red was awesome.
Sedona- Oak Creek Brewery. Boo. Not a single redeeming quality here. Chicken quesadilla was mediocre, beer was watery.
Tucson- Nimbus Brewey- Though I love Old Monkeyshine from a bottle,it was twice as good on tap.

In Tempe we'll frequent Boulders on Broadway and Four Peaks after gym climbing. Actually, we're spoiled here in Tempe. Example: I live next to the most ghetto looking corner store ever, but upon walking in you'd think you're in a Total Wine.

Yardhouse would be a good place to hit on the way in town from the west. I suppose Rock Bottom from the northwest, though I wasn't impressed with any of their beers.

Any ideas? I'm particularly curious about the Payson area.
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

http://www.joelhazelton.com

SAMBA
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Re: Best place to grab a post-hike craft beer

Post by SAMBA » Mar 07 2013 12:06 pm

Mmmmmmm! https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 9905_n.jpg
Looks VERY SAMBA compliant to me. Next time I'm on on the western side of the Supes I'll make a point of sampling a "few" at the HB.

chumley
Highway Artist
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Mar 07 2013 12:54 pm

One way the handlebar fails is by not having the kitchen open on Sundays. So if you also want a post-hike snack or meal it is not the place for you :(
Highway to hell

SAMBA
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by SAMBA » Mar 07 2013 1:01 pm

@chumley
SAMBA would consider the HB a failure only if it didn't serve beer on Sunday. Food is overrated. Beer is nectar of the gods.

azfatboy
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by azfatboy » Mar 07 2013 2:37 pm

chumley wrote:One way the handlebar fails is by not having the kitchen open on Sundays. So if you also want a post-hike snack or meal it is not the place for you :(
Well, I will be hiking til Tuesday, so sounds like I am set!!!! :)

(oh, and DITTO on what SAMBA said... ;) )

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Mar 09 2013 9:36 am

FATE brewing.. scotts rd and shea

Steve McFate and Andy are waiting for you.

North Mountain brewing also is celebrating the Grand Opening, today March 9th. cave creek & dunlap.
:D

azfatboy
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by azfatboy » Mar 13 2013 9:34 pm

Well, I looked for the HandleBar on the way out of the Supes yesterday, and we found it--it was about 1 or 2 on a Tuesday afternoon. The building was not only empty but literally looked abandoned!

We ended up going somewhere over on the west side. Its a new place called Taps on Northern and 101. It was pretty dang good! They had a bunch of microbrews on tap (4 or 5 from San Tan alone), and a bunch of other premium beers (Krombacher, Guiness, Blue Moon) and the best part is that they are all only THREE BUCKS on happy hour! Coors Light is 2 and they had an "Old Worlde Honey Wheat" for a measly DOLLAR PER PINT! They had awesome pizza, fries, and these calzone-type things they called a "tart". The food was good, the beer was awesome, and the prices were more than reasonable. We will definitely be going back!

hikeaz
Socialpelli

Post by hikeaz » Mar 14 2013 7:45 am

azfatboy wrote:Well, I looked for the HandleBar on the way out of the Supes yesterday, and we found it--it was about 1 or 2 on a Tuesday afternoon. The building was not only empty but literally looked abandoned!....
I was next door @ Dirtwater Springs last Friday about 3-ish and the Handlebar was locked up then as well.
kurt

chumley
Highway Artist

Post by chumley » Aug 24 2013 3:18 pm

Our own HAZ brewmaster jonnybackpack has unlocked the doors on the latest brewery in the state! Arizona Wilderness Brewing Company is open today and tomorrow from 3-9pm.

The Grand Opening Party is Labor Day 9/2.

Stop by and say hi. (And check out the photography of Hazzer Azpride around the pub.)

Country club/Arizona ave and Guadalupe.

http://www.azwbeer.com/

:y:
Highway to hell

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Aug 25 2013 11:53 am

the AZWBC is stunning. perfect size, not pretentious, warm fuzzy atmosphere. I will go OUT OF MY WAY to grab some post-hike beer from Jon and crew. even the orange colored paint behind the bar is called "campfire" :D :D :D :D :D
five smilies, even tho te-wa is a tightwad!
:D

hikeaz
Socialpelli

Post by hikeaz » Aug 26 2013 7:41 am

I stopped by Huss ('bout a mile from my place) on their opening night last Friday. It was jammed, but it has a decent, albeit small, tasting room with 16 craft taps.
If you use the Guadalupe T/H @ South Mountain park this is really close-by.

Huss Brewing takes over the one-time home of long-closed Rio Salado Brewing in the industrial district just west of Priest Drive halfway between Guadalupe and Elliot in south Tempe. (The street name is Mineral) The brewery is a large-scale operation. Its 30-barrel brewing system will allow it to not only make its own beers, but also take over the contract brewing for Papago Brewing, whose Orange Blossom Ale, Hopago IPA, and Elsie’s and Coconut Joe’s stouts have been made at various breweries around the state. The wife of Huss' owner, Jeff, is a partner in Papago Brewing.
Last edited by hikeaz on Aug 27 2013 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
kurt

chumley
Highway Artist

Post by chumley » Aug 26 2013 8:55 am

For now Huss is nothing more than a craft-beer bar with guest beers and the Papago lineup on tap. It will be fun when they get around to brewing their own beers. Until then, I think I'd rather just go to Papago!
Highway to hell

JoelHazelton
Luminosopelli

Post by JoelHazelton » Aug 27 2013 7:33 am

I could not have been more impressed with Arizona Wilderness Brewing Company. Perfect, laid back atmosphere, friendly owners (obviously) and staff, and amazing beer. The Refuge IPA is damn near perfect. If they can kick off an opening with such refined tasting beer, I can't wait to see what they come up with next. And, at 10 minutes away from my house, I'll be a regular!
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

chumley
Highway Artist

Post by chumley » Aug 27 2013 9:02 am

azpride wrote:I could not have been more impressed with Arizona Wilderness Brewing Company. Perfect, laid back atmosphere, friendly owners (obviously) and staff, and amazing beer. The Refuge IPA is damn near perfect. If they can kick off an opening with such refined tasting beer, I can't wait to see what they come up with next. And, at 10 minutes away from my house, I'll be a regular!
What'd you think of the photography he's got on the walls? ;)
Highway to hell

Alston_Neal
Tweet Boogie

Post by Alston_Neal » Aug 27 2013 9:42 am

Alas there are 2 problems I see with this place.
1. They serve beer.
2. They are 32.7 miles from my house, most of which would be using the 101 and 51...... :(
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

JoelHazelton
Luminosopelli

Post by JoelHazelton » Aug 27 2013 9:45 am

chumley wrote:
azpride wrote:I could not have been more impressed with Arizona Wilderness Brewing Company. Perfect, laid back atmosphere, friendly owners (obviously) and staff, and amazing beer. The Refuge IPA is damn near perfect. If they can kick off an opening with such refined tasting beer, I can't wait to see what they come up with next. And, at 10 minutes away from my house, I'll be a regular!
What'd you think of the photography he's got on the walls? ;)
eh. ;)

chumley
Highway Artist

Post by chumley » Aug 27 2013 11:50 am

Alston Neal wrote:Alas there are 2 problems I see with this place.
1. They serve beer.
2. They are 32.7 miles from my house, most of which would be using the 101 and 51...... :(
$4 round-trip. Door-to-door.
http://www.valleymetro.org/

:)
Highway to hell

chumley
Highway Artist

Post by chumley » Sep 02 2013 10:36 pm

Highway to hell

chumley
Highway Artist

Post by chumley » Jan 29 2014 10:11 am

Influential and respected online publication RateBeer has awarded HAZ member Jonnybackpack's
Arizona Wilderness Brewing Co
#1 New Brewer in the World :y:
(out of 2600 noobs!).
http://www.ratebeer.com/RateBeerBest/ne ... 2014cc.asp

Congratulations to Jon, Patrick, Brett, and the whole team! : app :

Is your picture on the wall yet?
Highway to hell

kingsnake
Mickey Mouse is a Rat!
City, State: Sunnyslope, PHX

Post by kingsnake » Jan 29 2014 10:17 am

:o
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jan 29 2014 10:48 am

Great! I'll have to check it out the next time I get a chance. Congratulations!

Return to “Food/Recipes”