Low Cal Beer that I LIKE!

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
SgtLumpy
City, State: N Phoenix, AZ

Low Cal Beer that I LIKE!

Post by SgtLumpy » Jul 07 2013 5:55 pm

I just had a few "Miller 64"s this past week. Darn they're pretty good. I generally like Corona, Corona light is second. Don't care much at all for dark beer, really don't like the ones that taste like wheat or grass clippings or strong yeast. Just simple, light amber Mexican.

64 calories. I'll rank it right up there with Corona in taste. Less than half the calories of a Corona, tiny bit more than half of a Corona light.

I can feel myself getting skinny already... :sl:

Sgt Lumpy

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Re: Low Cal Beer that I LIKE!

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 07 2013 6:33 pm

Right now, I'm too full of IPA to comment much. I think I actually like something lighter, but have been trying different ones.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

JoelHazelton
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by JoelHazelton » Jul 08 2013 3:28 pm

I prefer beer that doesn't allow me to taste anything else for the rest of the night (except even stronger beer).
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

http://www.joelhazelton.com

Alston_Neal
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Alston_Neal » Jul 08 2013 3:31 pm

azpride wrote:I prefer beer that doesn't allow me to taste anything else for the rest of the night (except even stronger beer).
I prefer beer that doesn't upstage my real adult beverage of choice ...tequila.
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

SpiderLegs
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by SpiderLegs » Jul 08 2013 4:01 pm

Bourbon - A man's drink that has many of the same health properties as red wine (as long as you drink it like they do in Kentucky: straight, with water or on the rocks).

Actually most distilled spirits are fairly healthy for you as long as you don't mix them with anything. It's when you start mixing them with soda, juice and sugar that they cease being healthy. So just do what I do, have a shot and a beer.
See my pics on Instagram @tucsonexplorer

beterarcher
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by beterarcher » Jul 08 2013 4:09 pm

My favorite beer is the one that is near. :D
Understand, when you eat meat, that something did die. You have an obligation to value it - not just the sirloin but also all those wonderful tough little bits.
Anthony Bourdain

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 08 2013 4:31 pm

beterarcher wrote:My favorite beer is the one that is near. :D
What? You prefer near beer? Maybe you ought to move to Utah! :D
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

SpiderLegs

Post by SpiderLegs » Jul 08 2013 5:01 pm

azbackpackr wrote:
beterarcher wrote:My favorite beer is the one that is near. :D
What? You prefer near beer? Maybe you ought to move to Utah! :D

Surprisingly enough there are some really tasty beers coming out of Utah right now. Polygamy Porter, Hop Notch IPA and pretty much anything coming out of Epic Brewery. Going out on a limb here, but right now Utah is kicking Arizona's butt when it comes to brewing high quality and tasty craft beer.

beterarcher
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by beterarcher » Jul 08 2013 5:21 pm

@SpiderLegs
I'll take anything without a chile in it. :D
Understand, when you eat meat, that something did die. You have an obligation to value it - not just the sirloin but also all those wonderful tough little bits.
Anthony Bourdain

SpiderLegs

Post by SpiderLegs » Jul 08 2013 7:32 pm

beterarcher wrote:@SpiderLegs
I'll take anything without a chile in it. :D
Had one 20 years ago when it first came out and could barely gag it down. More of a novelty beer than anything else.

Still working my way around Arizona's craft breweries and so far the best is Beaver Street and Lumberyard up in Flagstaff. Really waiting on my favorite Idaho beers to start upping production enough so that they have enough to ship out of state.

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jul 08 2013 7:41 pm

SpiderLegs wrote:Going out on a limb here, but right now Utah is kicking Arizona's butt when it comes to brewing high quality and tasty craft beer.
I would disagree. Utah may be kicking AZ butt when it comes to distributing high quality and tasty craft beer out of state, but there's plenty of great craft beer in AZ. Since AZ brewers don't have the limitation of 80% of its population choosing not to drink beer, it's not as important for them to distribute beyond their own local market.
Profound observer

kingsnake
City, State: Sunnyslope, PHX

Post by kingsnake » Jul 08 2013 7:59 pm

That's not a limitation, that's bonus for the rest of us. ;)
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

SpiderLegs

Post by SpiderLegs » Jul 08 2013 8:08 pm

chumley wrote:
SpiderLegs wrote:Going out on a limb here, but right now Utah is kicking Arizona's butt when it comes to brewing high quality and tasty craft beer.
I would disagree. Utah may be kicking AZ butt when it comes to distributing high quality and tasty craft beer out of state, but there's plenty of great craft beer in AZ. Since AZ brewers don't have the limitation of 80% of its population choosing not to drink beer, it's not as important for them to distribute beyond their own local market.
You may need to enlighten me and point me in the right direction of good AZ craft beers, so far I have not been impressed with what I can find locally. Only one that stands out is stuff from Beaver Street up in Flagstaff.

Luckily we have BevMo and Total Wine so that I can stock up on a great selection of craft beer from around the country.

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 08 2013 8:36 pm

It all tastes pretty much like beer to me.

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jul 08 2013 9:10 pm

Well obviously, taste is a personal opinion. There are very few Beaver St. beers that I care for (and BS is the same as Lumberyard, btw). Have you been to FATE? (Scotts/Shea). They have a couple of great beers on all the time, and some small-batch seasonals that rotate quite a bit.

I really like the limited quantity seasonal taps from quality breweries. The variety is welcome. But you'll never find that kind of stuff at Bevmo.
Profound observer

autumnstars
City, State: Las Vegas, NV

Post by autumnstars » Jul 08 2013 9:33 pm

Whatever BevMo is...
Mostly here, I just suffer the months out waiting for our yearly trip to the Oregon Brew fest. There was a really superb basil ale there last year. Is it odd to stay I miss living in Utah for the superior selection of craft beers? ;)
"Let it ride / Let it roll / Let it go"

SpiderLegs

Post by SpiderLegs » Jul 09 2013 7:00 am

chumley wrote:Well obviously, taste is a personal opinion. There are very few Beaver St. beers that I care for (and BS is the same as Lumberyard, btw). Have you been to FATE? (Scotts/Shea). They have a couple of great beers on all the time, and some small-batch seasonals that rotate quite a bit.

I really like the limited quantity seasonal taps from quality breweries. The variety is welcome. But you'll never find that kind of stuff at Bevmo.
Will have to check out FATE sometime. Picked up a taste for Northwestern hop bombs when I lived in Idaho. The hop fields were less than an hour away from my local brew pubs, so freshly hopped beer is what I'm partial to.

We may have to have a beer summit at HAZfest to settle our differences.

SgtLumpy

Post by SgtLumpy » Jul 10 2013 2:15 pm

CraftBeers - Is that the stuff that tastes like it's made from fermented sawdust and you drink it warm?

... ;)

I find it difficult to drink beers at a pub/bar/tavern. Seems like their concept of "cold beer" means "about 50 degrees".
That'll be seven dollars please. Plus tip.

I like beer that's light amber, goes great with a taco, is about 30 degrees cold, and is in my hand while I sit around the backyard fire pit. I'd rather be overwhelmed by the salza than the taste of the beer.

Sgt Lumpy

SpiderLegs

Post by SpiderLegs » Jul 10 2013 3:50 pm

SgtLumpy wrote:
I like beer that's light amber, goes great with a taco, is about 30 degrees cold, and is in my hand while I sit around the backyard fire pit. I'd rather be overwhelmed by the salza than the taste of the beer.

Sgt Lumpy
Drinking that kind of beer is like making love in a canoe, both are f@#%&* close to water.... ;)

SgtLumpy

Post by SgtLumpy » Jul 11 2013 12:47 pm

SpiderLegs wrote: ... both are f@#%&* close to water.... ;)
:sl: LOL

Sgt Lumpy

Return to “Food/Recipes”