Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Bradshaws
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Vegetarian meals and trail snacks

Post by Bradshaws » Aug 04 2013 8:27 pm

I have started a new vegetarian diet :D. I have noticed from several comments, photo sets and forum posts that I'm not alone.
With the cool temperature around the corner I'm becoming concerned with feeding myself in the backcountry on backpacking trips. I have found some great prepackaged meals and some nice websites but I would like to see how the other vegetarian stay fed out there.

:stop: I have received a ton of grief from everyone I know over this diet. I didn't choose to do this because of some moral dilemma with killing animals for food. I have NO problem with meat! It's just not for me anymore ;)

Any input on this subject will be appreciated :thanx:
“ you know what I think?... It doesn’t matter what I think”

Tough_Boots
Forest Gangster

Re: Vegetarian meals and trail snacks

Post by Tough_Boots » Aug 04 2013 9:43 pm

I stopped eating meat over twelve years ago and haven't looked back. For hiking snacks, I eat a lot of almonds and dried cranberries. Trader Joe's sells these orange flavored dried cranberries that I'm addicted to right now. When I backpack, I usually buy the Mary Jane's Farm freeze dried foods. They are all organic and most are vegetarian. Their bags are 1.5 servings which works for me much better than the Mountain House and Backpackers Pantry which are often 2 servings.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

gummo
Legless Lizard Kopelli
City, State: mesa

Post by gummo » Aug 04 2013 11:13 pm

Oranges, apples, Cliff Bars, peanut butter & jelly, and Slim-fast (other something equivalent) is all the food you need to backpack.

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Aug 05 2013 3:50 am

gummo wrote:Oranges, apples, Cliff Bars, peanut butter & jelly, and Slim-fast (other something equivalent) is all the food you need to backpack.
Speak for yourself! ;) I need hot food at night and hot coffee in the morning! Those Mary Jane foods sound good.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Bradshaws
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Bradshaws » Aug 05 2013 7:39 am

Here is a website I've found.

http://outdoorherbivore.com/

I haven't tryed anything from them but it all look pretty good.
Right now Lärabars, dried/fresh fruit and nuts are my primary trail food. I just made a batch of tofu jerky (its not bad) but I'm not sure how long it will keep :-k .

Thanks for the tips :)
“ you know what I think?... It doesn’t matter what I think”

oceanwithin
Kellipelli
City, State: AZ

Post by oceanwithin » Aug 05 2013 9:55 pm

Longtime veggie here :)

For freeze dried meals, there's also a company called Enertia Meals that has a bunch of veg options. Making your own freezer bag meals or "hobo bags" for camping works well. For snacks... apples, nuts, dried fruit, peanut/almond/cashew butter, the hummus from cost plus that doesn't have to be refrigerated, lara/cliff/mojo/odwalla bars, fruit leathers, pureed fruit/veg packets, honey, veggie chips. The bulk section of Sprouts is your best friend for hiking snacks! Oatmeal + almond butter or couscous + raisins for breakfast. There's a brand (I forget the name!) of pasta/veggies in a small can from WholeFoods that's all-natural and ready to eat, I bring those along a lot too.

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Jul 20 2016 12:38 pm

happy to have found that french fries strengthen the immune system
from mainlyplants dot com
Attachments
colors_of_health.jpg
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

LindaAnn
TangyPlaid Slemonindapelli
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by LindaAnn » Jul 20 2016 1:00 pm

Good to hear. With annual bypass surgery, I should live forever.

flagscott
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Flagstaff, AZ

Post by flagscott » Jul 20 2016 1:29 pm

joebartels wrote:happy to have found that french fries strengthen the immune system
from mainlyplants dot com
In that case, Lucky Charms must be the healthiest food on the planet--every color represented!

autumnstars
Viva Vegapelli
City, State: Las Vegas, NV

Post by autumnstars » Jul 20 2016 6:35 pm

Do you have WinCo Foods there? Their bulk section is very comprehensive and much more reasonably priced than a place like Whole Paycheck. I make trail mix by mixing together my own selection of nuts, fruits, etc from the bulk bins - it never gets old because I can add different things every time. They also have fun things like powdered hummus. No need to refrigerate, just mix with water and enjoy with carrots, bread, crackers, anything really.

My absolute favorite lunch? Bagel with avocado and mustard or hummus, with or without cheese. Bring the whole avocado along and cut it up just before eating for best freshness. This only works on the first day of backpacking or for day hiking.

The book Lip Smacking' Vegetarian Backpackin' has lots of great ideas. Not just meals, but snacks and all sorts of things.
"Let it ride / Let it roll / Let it go"

hikeaz
Socialpelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Jul 21 2016 9:24 am

I enjoy some of F.F.'s products > http://www.fantasticfoods.com/content/products
kurt

Return to “Food/Recipes”