Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Al_HikesAZ
Ol' Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Best Burger in AZ - Let the Debate Begin

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Dec 10 2014 12:37 pm

Roger Naylor has written a new book "Boots & Burgers : An Arizona handbook for hungry hikers". I added it to the HAZ Books Section for Arizona Hikes. http://hikearizona.com/books.php?ID=1242&STu=3 [everyone is familiar with the HAZ books section aren't we? ;) ]

Roger lists 37 trails and 38 burger joints. Joe needs to put these trails and restaurants on a map so that we can track how many we have hiked and how many burgers we have devoured.
Let the hearty discussions begin. I'm sure there will be some overlap with the Best Brews thread. A great burger is usually accompanied by a great beer - or vice versa.
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6124&hilit=best+brew

My vote for Best Burger goes to the Bright Angel Lodge followed closely by the Jacob Lake Inn. Somehow a nice juicy burger is heaven on earth after a few days eating dehydrated food in the Canyon. :y:
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

BobP
Cairn Reaper

Re: Best Burger in AZ - Let the Debate Begin

Post by BobP » Dec 10 2014 12:40 pm

There's a HAZ book section :o ...are they free to download? ;)
http://www.blindmotivation.com
http://www.seeitourway.org
Always pronounce Egeszsegedre properly......
If you like this triplog you must be a friend of BrunoP

Al_HikesAZ
Ol' Kokopelli

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Dec 10 2014 12:50 pm

BobP wrote:There's a HAZ book section :o
Yes on the HAZ Home Page at the Bottom where it says Books. :doh: Between About and FAQ. It used to be right next to the Pixel Trivia button but no one ever noticed it.
BobP wrote:...are they free to download? ;)
You have to talk with HAZ Hikebot (our librarian) and find out when the HAZ Library is open (and where it is this week). If your HAZ Library card is current you might be able to check out a book if HAZ Hikebot likes you. Otherwise you might have to go through the HAZ Books Section and buy the book from Amazon. {edit} I hope HAZerds realize that I am being playfully spirited here. Please do not contact HAZ Hikebot or I will get in trouble. :whistle: again{end edit}

Joe can correct me, but I think that each time you click through from the HAZ Book Section to Amazon, Amazon sends wheelbarrow loads of Amazon Credits to Joe. So if you are totally bored and have nothing better to do, go to the HAZ Book Section and click through millions of times to Amazon. If we get Joe enough wheelbarrow loads of Amazon Credits he might be able to buy a new pair of Tevas for Christmas.
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli

Post by outdoor_lover » Dec 10 2014 1:57 pm

Haunted Hamburger in Jerome....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

chumley
budding artist
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Dec 10 2014 2:31 pm

Chuckbox has over 278 burgers sold, while McDonalds is now over 300 Billion sold. We can probably argue which one is better, but Micky D's is definitely the most popular burger in Arizona.
smoke it

hikerdw
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Mesa,AZ

Post by hikerdw » Dec 10 2014 3:12 pm

My backyard grill :D

Alston_Neal
Tweet Boogie
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Alston_Neal » Dec 10 2014 3:17 pm

@chumley
The Chuckbox is still around?
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

JoelHazelton
Luminosopelli

Post by JoelHazelton » Dec 10 2014 3:18 pm

Alston Neal wrote:@chumley
The Chuckbox is still around?
Affirmative. Still cash-only, too.
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

http://www.joelhazelton.com

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Dec 10 2014 3:22 pm

I haven't had any outstanding burgers in AZ, but I haven't sampled well.

skatchkins
D’Avy Crockettpelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by skatchkins » Dec 10 2014 3:57 pm

I have an 11 page post over on my Jeep club board complete with stars and cellpics. After extensive research my top 3 all go to the same place: Spoke & Wheel
I've decided. It's Spoke & Wheel hands down. Most likely they win 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.
They don't just have 1 great burger, they have at least 3.

We rode the double bike (me and Noel, not Bob) last night so we could get happy hour pricing on drinks and apps. Got the Bacon Truffle Burger.

I've had all three of these and can't tell which I even like better:

SPOKE AND WHEEL BURGER
caramelized onions, jalapeños, cheddar, sweet
potato, arugula, sweet chili sauce
IMG_20130821_173249.jpg
ORIGINAL HATCH GREEN CHILI BURGER
honey, hatch green chili, pico de gallo, queso
anejo enchilado (mexican feta style cheese)

BACON TRUFFLE BURGER
lettuce, tomato, smoked bacon, white truffle
oil, provolone, balsamic syrup
---------------------------------

A few more excerpts:

Windsor is a great burger but it is hit or miss. Every S&W burger kicks its butt. And Windsor also loses to S&W's laid back atmosphere.

Humble Pie's used to be high for me but hit or miss as well. Sourdough burger with added avocado and bacon.

Habit burgers are good for the price. Not disappointing.

Pier 54 - I was impressed with how well this $10 southwestern burger tasted. I've never had a pepper on a burger that flavorful. The meat was peppered very well. Bacon was a bonus.

Mim's - I've changed my mind. I like the place, but the last two times were not impressive at all and the onion rings were crap. Makes me sad. Still a good place to meet and eat for airport levee hangouts.

BurgerFi in Mesa was a quandary. They have burger in their name yet only have 2 burgers on the menu (we'll never count veg "burgers" on this list) and they weren't anything special at all. I see from their website they have a secret menu with other burgers now but that's as silly a calling beans a burger.

Maize's - signature burger. Just plain ok. Not something to get again.

Original Wineburger - I would definitely go there again. I got their signature burger with added bacon. The meat was really good. A lot of places forget that part somehow and just add stuff on to create flavor.
*The fries were awesome too. Beer battered and peppered.

Burger House in Globe -Yelp said 16 reviews = 4.5 stars. I got the signature burger. It was no more than a high school cafeteria burger.
I have too many more to add to this, but you get the point.
May he guide you through the wilderness : protect you through the storm;
May he bring you home rejoicing : at the wonders he has shown you;
Armchair Crisis Design

neilends
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale

Post by neilends » Dec 10 2014 6:13 pm

The best burger I've had in town is the very urban and chic Delux, on 32nd St and Camelback. In fairness, that's pretty damn close to Camelback Mountain so it qualifies as a hiker-to-burger spot. It is slightly hipster, but they take their hipster gourmet burgers very seriously. Don't go there expecting an ol' western steakhouse, and you'll be happy.
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." --John Adams

neilends
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale

Post by neilends » Dec 10 2014 6:16 pm

skatchkins wrote:I have an 11 page post over on my Jeep club board complete with stars and cellpics. After extensive research my top 3 all go to the same place: Spoke & Wheel
[snip]

Maize's - signature burger. Just plain ok. Not something to get again.
I always get the bleu burger at Maizie's, which is:

Stuffed with Applewood smoked bacon and bleu cheese.
Served with a side of Frank’s Red Hot Sauce.

I'm a bleu cheese fanatic and can confirm that this is as tasty as it sounds.
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." --John Adams

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Dec 10 2014 9:24 pm

the Attic. and good beer, too (for the researchers - http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-attic-phoenix).
giant burger in mesa is decent.
:D

AZLumberjack
Gopher State Kokopelli
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ.

Post by AZLumberjack » Dec 11 2014 7:55 am

I gotta stick with my favorite hangout and that would be the Bluebird Mine and Gift Store located on the Apache Trail just North of the Goldfield Ghost town. They have a Buffalo Burger cooked on an old fashion flat top grill (to preserve the grease), served with a plate full of golden French Fries and a cold beverage of your choice. A meal sure to make the Dr's at the Mayo scream in agony.....but what a way to go, cholesterol and all :o They also have a killer Malted Milk on the menu if that suits your preference :y:

The place is a frequent hangout for the local cowboys returning from a day out riding the trails and now enjoying the color and conversations of Luis, John and Fran. If your timing is right and there's a yellow jeep parked in front, you may get the opportunity to chat with Tom Kollenborn (a local Cowboy and Author) while you enjoy your Buffalo Burger. If there's a red Ford Ranger pickup out front, then I beat ya :)
Bluebird Mine Store.JPG
On every trip into the Superstitions, I find another Gold Mine. Today the mine was filled with Memories. I can not wait for the next trip.

JoelHazelton
Luminosopelli

Post by JoelHazelton » Dec 11 2014 8:35 am

Arizona Wilderness Brewing Company! Any of their burgers or house-made chicken patties are sure to satisfy.
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

http://www.joelhazelton.com

ALMAL
Huck Finn Kokopelli
City, State: GILBERT

Post by ALMAL » Dec 11 2014 9:03 am

While not so obscure, the 1/2 LB Elk burger with a fried egg on top at Fudd's gets my vote.
It's ridiculous good! I may be partial because you can play my cranes while dining there...
You aren't late if you don't show up!

Alston_Neal
Tweet Boogie

Post by Alston_Neal » Dec 11 2014 10:17 am

@mnlumberjack
Any place that serves burgers with worms and minnows can't be all bad.
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

winotron
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by winotron » Dec 11 2014 1:54 pm

As much as I love my local places in Phoenix, I have to go with Diablo Burger in Downtown Flagstaff. It's expensive ($11-14, and I think still cash only), but probably the best burger I've ever had. The "DB House" burger is what I usually get, which comes with pesto and a fried egg on a blackened patty. All their burgers come on a DB-branded english muffin, and with Belgian-style fries. From their website:
"all of our burgers are made from 100% local, grass-fed, open range-raised, antibiotic-free and growth-hormone-free beef from the ranches of the diablo trust, whose award-winning land stewardship produces burgers that allow us to say "this is landscape-scale conservation that you can taste." we actively partner with local farmers, ranchers, bakers, cheese-makers, brewers, vintners, and other producers to source as much as we possibly can from within a 250-mile radius -- the DB definition of food-shed here in arizona."
So yea, total hipster place, but it's amazingly good. They also opened a 2nd location last year in Downtown Tucson right across the street from Hotel Congress. I hope they open one in Phoenix eventually.

trekkin_gecko
Capra Collisopelli
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by trekkin_gecko » Dec 11 2014 2:41 pm

one of the best burgers i've had recently was at the thirsty lion at tempe marketplace:

NW Pub Burger
Gorgonzola infused burger with grilled sweet onion, maple
pepper bacon, white cheddar, arugula and horseradish cream. 13.95

yum
bacon

SpiderLegs
Former Brand Emphasizer
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by SpiderLegs » Dec 11 2014 2:43 pm

This thread is making me hungry. Need to grab a burger and beer sometime this weekend.
See my pics on Instagram @tucsonexplorer

Return to “Food/Recipes”