Day Hiking & general trail related

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guide  • Aravaipa Canyon, AZ
Linked Areas none
erikshinn
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Aravaipa East Entrance

Post by erikshinn » Apr 02 2013 11:01 am

We are doing this hike soon and I am curious about the condition of the east entrance road. I've heard a high clearance vehicle is required. I have a Subaru Outback with AWD and pretty decent clearance (better than some SUVS because of the short wheelbase). Does anyone know if that will get us to the trailhead without issue or do we need something more like a Jeep or a true 4x4? I don't want to drive all the way out there to get stuck. Thanks for the help.

BrettVet
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Re: Aravaipa East Entrance

Post by BrettVet » Apr 02 2013 11:34 am

Was there last weekend and pulled a 23 ft horse trailer with a pickup truck and made it with no problem. Parked about a mile and a quarter past the "official" trailhead, near where the trail enters the canyon. Streams were running about 3-6 inches so unless they have a flash flood your golden. Did get a nasty note from the Nature Conservancy for parking there, but it was worth it to save the extra 3 miles roundtrip along the road. There were no signs indicating you can not park there.

erikshinn

Post by erikshinn » Apr 08 2013 2:21 pm

Thanks, bud. Looking forward to it.

erikshinn

Post by erikshinn » Apr 24 2013 7:01 pm

UPDATE:

We made it just fine in the Outback. Had to muscle through some loose stuff, but no big issues. We parked at the trailhead and hiked 3.5 miles to a good spot. Day hiked the rest of the day on day 2. Great trip overall.

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 24 2013 8:50 pm

I wonder if my old Honda Accord would make it? It goes a lot of places!
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

desertgirl
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Post by desertgirl » Apr 25 2013 10:02 am

You cross the stream multiple times as you get to there so if you can get there will depend on water level and general condition of road which tends to degenerate as get closer to the river -- we did see a VW bus parked at the unoffcial TH when we got there ....

ddgrunning
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by ddgrunning » Jan 02 2020 5:12 pm

Bumping this thread. I have permits from the East end in March. Anyone with recent knowledge of conditions? (I realize they may change between now and March).

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jan 02 2020 5:59 pm

@ddgrunning
Aravaipa flashed on 11/21/19 and the road flooded. People live out there so it is usually repaired within a week after a flood event. Otherwise it's safe to say getting to the main trailhead is no problem. From there to the wilderness boundary always requires a couple of creek crossings and high clearance is preferred.

BLM is pretty proactive about contacting permit holders if a flood washes out the road. They have your contact info and planned dates after all!

Keep an eye on the stream gauge to see if it spikes from any storms between now and then. There's a ranger that lives in Klondyke so the BLM office usually has very good information on conditions within a day or two of a flood.
Profound observer

Return to “Trail Chat”