Day Hiking & general trail related

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
sprottm
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Caves?

Post by sprottm » May 05 2008 3:49 pm

Looking for a good cave to hit up on the weekend. Heard cave of the bells and onyx cave were decent. Anybody have any suggestions?? Or even would like to come?? let me know plan on doing it this sat..

Jeffshadows
City, State: Old Pueblo

Re: Caves?

Post by Jeffshadows » Nov 29 2010 4:21 pm

imike wrote: found an interesting signature carved into the walls on an upper shelf: Walter Reed. Guess he was stationed out of Sierra Vista
No kidding? That's wild! :D
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

RowdyandMe
City, State: Green Valley, AZ

Post by RowdyandMe » Mar 23 2020 10:48 am

Anyone been in the Cave of Bells?
Rowdy and Widowmaker

RedRoxx44
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 » Mar 23 2020 5:38 pm

I would suggest contacting either SAG or Escabrosa or Belinda on here. Not a hard cave, but not an easy one and rather mazy.

RowdyandMe

Post by RowdyandMe » Mar 23 2020 6:30 pm

@RedRoxx44
I realize that I would have to put up $100. To get the key to get in. But I was hoping to get some more information from people having done it. I know there is a pond inside but not sure how big or if somebody could swim in it?
Rowdy and Widowmaker

LosDosSloFolks
City, State: Cave Creek, Arizona

Post by LosDosSloFolks » Mar 23 2020 6:39 pm

@RowdyandMe
Grotto Girl has logs on it here on HAZ.
"In beauty happily I walk, With beauty before me I walk, With beauty behind me I walk, With beauty all around me I walk"
Navajo Nightway Chant

RedRoxx44
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 » Mar 23 2020 6:43 pm

I know I'll be perceived as an A$$hol but so be it. Caves like Bells have a pretty delicate ecosystem, despite lots of cavers thru there. Any water should be able to be avoided unless there have been changes in there I am unaware of. I would recommend going with someone who knows it to avoid injuring yourself, the cave and or getting lost. That is my unsolicited no cents worth.

RowdyandMe

Post by RowdyandMe » Mar 23 2020 7:05 pm

@RedRoxx44
I realize that the Onyx Cave is also close by. I really looking at just getting away from people like before the Coronavirus arrived.
Rowdy and Widowmaker

GrottoGirl
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by GrottoGirl » Mar 23 2020 7:21 pm

I’m pretty sure the Bells keys are locked up in a Federal Building right now. And to chime in like Redroxx, Please do not swim in caves for many reasons... the microorganisms that live there and often in caves you might find calcite rafts floating on the water which means the cave is forming. And since I have a large population of viewers right now since people don’t have anything else to do. In Arizona we practice a leave no trace ethic when it comes to caves. Please do not leave pee (take a pee bottle), poop (take a wag bag), crumbs (eat with your pack open to catch your crumbs), or oils off your hands (Wear gloves). Also be sure to follow White Nose decontamination procedures with all gear that goes into caves. https://www.whitenosesyndrome.org/mmedi ... ril-2016-2

I’m willing to take any HAZ member caving - after the social distancing is retracted. Often in caves you might have to get close to help your partners by passing packs, spotting while scrambling and climbing. Please PM me to make arrangement. In addition, I recommend joining one of the local grottos. In Tucson, the Southern Arizona grotto does a lot of activities (Disclaimer - I’m the current President). There is also Escabrosa Grotto. Phoenix has the Central Arizona grotto. There is also grottos in Northern AZ and Cochise county. I’d be willing to help anyone connect.

RowdyandMe

Post by RowdyandMe » Mar 23 2020 7:36 pm

@GrottoGirl
Thanks for the information
Rowdy and Widowmaker

Return to “Trail Chat”