Day Hiking & general trail related

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Areas none
JakeG
City, State: Tombstone, AZ

Galiuro East Divide Trailhead road conditions

Post by JakeG »

Good Evening,
The wife and I are considering going out to the East Divide Trail in the Galiuros and we're wondering if anyone had any information about road conditions. We have an Outback and a GMC 2500 (which unfortunately isn't 4wd).
Thank you very much,
Jake
Pivo
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Re: Galiuro East Divide Trailhead road conditions

Post by Pivo »

@JakeG
Recommend checking with USFS Safford Office. There was talk about closing the road at the gate entrance.
nonot
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by nonot »

There are two or three trailheads you could seem to be referring to?

Two years old but the roads to the northernmost trailhead (Deer Creek) access to east divide trail was in very good condition in winter of 2018 the only time I've visited. Not prius quality, but only moderate clearance needed in one or two sections.

For reference:
[ Tortilla Trail #254 ]

It would probably help to say I came from US 70 side just west of safford, through the "greater" klondyke area.
Last edited by nonot on Nov 03 2020 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!
nonot
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by nonot »

@Pivo
If you are referring to the last one mile of road that goes by the old Deer Creek field office/cabin, that appeared to have been closed and locked for years, as of winter 2018. You have to hike from the road at the T-junction or the "new" Deer Creek TH, there are several pull offs along the road in that area. So that adds maybe a mile, but if he's after east divide, rather than tortilla trail, he'd have to backtrack half of that mile anyway.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!
AugustWest
City, State: Gilbert. AZ

Post by AugustWest »

I was out at the Ash Creek start of East Divide a couple of weeks ago. FR 660 is just fine right up to and perhaps a quarter mile past the ranch gate. There is one dry wash crossing after that and it was fine in my stock Dodge Ram 1500 4x4. but would be questionable based on your vehicle descriptions. I hate walking roads, but in this area the extra mile that you would walk is somewhat indistinguishable from the rest of the hike right up to the wilderness boundary.
Wildflower seed in the sand and wind
May the four winds blow you home again
JakeG
City, State: Tombstone, AZ

Post by JakeG »

Thank you for all the replies. I am referring to the East Creek Divide Trailhead that is located off of FR 660. My wife told me about volunteer wilderness solitude monitoring opportunities through the Arizona Wilderness Coalition. It seems like a good excuse to go out to the Galiuros which I've only been in once before back in 2017 on a fire by Paddy's River. If anyone wants to know more about the AWC volunteer opportunities you can learn more in the link below.

https://www.wildarizona.org/volunteer-opportunities/

Thanks,
Jake
AugustWest
City, State: Gilbert. AZ

Post by AugustWest »

For what you are looking to do there won't be any access issues.
Wildflower seed in the sand and wind
May the four winds blow you home again

Return to “Trail Chat”