Linked Areas none
no avatar
rickcmarsh
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Humphrey's Summit Trail

Post by rickcmarsh » May 13 2017 9:03 pm

Hello All-

I have been watching the triplogs religiously for updates to the Humphreys Summit, trying to sense if it has cleared upon in the last few weeks, since the trip posted 4.25. I am tentatively planning on hiking the trail Saturday, May 20th but curious if I should reschedule for a few weeks later (June 3rd)?

Any suggestions?

Rick

chumley
Highway Artist
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Humphrey's Summit Trail

Post by chumley » May 13 2017 9:59 pm

If you're looking for a snow free ascent, you'll have to wait a lot longer than June 3rd! Here's a photo from Kendrick today. https://hikearizona.com/photo.php?ZIP=644096

The snow holds on the trail in the pines below the tree line much longer than it does in the exposed areas too.

The last I heard is that the route in the trees is still nearly impossible to follow even with proper snow traction. Above the tree line it's relatively clear though.
Highway to hell

Jim_H
Climate Windchime
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Jim_H » May 14 2017 9:35 am

Snowbowl just closed up for the season last weekend, so there is a lot of snow on that west slope. If or when you do go, I too would enjoy some pics. Usually, middle June is getting snow free. Often it is drifts above tree line, and continuous for the upper lengths before it turns to mud. It is the mud that is often worse as snow goes bye bye.
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

no avatar
rickcmarsh
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by rickcmarsh » May 20 2017 10:01 pm

We tried today...took a Boy Scout Troop and we made it about halfway. Too much snow, and too many slips/falls. Still plenty of snow/ice on the trail. Many other hikers also turned around at various points. A few pressed on, but we never made it above the tree line. We did have a nice snow ball fight on our way back down :)

https://hikearizona.com/trip=144033

no avatar
hanmart
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix

Post by hanmart » May 24 2017 4:12 pm

I was hoping to go the weekend of June 10th. If anyone else ventures up there, can you please update here? Sounds like I might have to reschedule my hike either way though... :)

Return to “Trail Chat”