City, State: Mesa

Superstition Peak 5057 Loop via Hiero, AZ :: Question by damacias71

Post by damacias71 » Nov 08 2017 3:58 pm

Anyone camp near the top of 5057?

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Superstition Peak 5057 Loop via Hiero, AZ :: Question by damacias71

Post by chumley » Nov 08 2017 4:18 pm

I'm sure it's been done, but it's definitely not a popular thing! I don't think there's anything suitable right near the peak, and I don't recall anything that would resemble a campsite, but there's a stretch of flat-ish ground below the peak where you might be able to lay down comfortably. I'm thinking the area in this https://hikearizona.com/photo.php?ZIP=248130 (just southeast of the peak). The photo location is marked on the map if you click the pin icon.

damacias71

Post by damacias71 » Nov 08 2017 5:11 pm

@chumley
Thanks so much for this information! We'll be out there this weekend. Did you use a hand-held GPS out on your hike up there or do you think a cellphone with the RouteScout app will be fine? I've used the Alltrails app online and it served me just fine in the past. Thanks again.

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Nov 08 2017 6:18 pm

@damacias71 Route Scout works great. I haven't used a handheld gps in a couple of years. But you have to make sure your phone has enough battery life for your trip. I carry an extra charger in case of emergencies.
Highway to hell

syoung
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by syoung » Nov 08 2017 8:59 pm

@damacias71
There is a nice spot where you come up from the southern side of the ridgeline and reach a saddle with a head on view of Weaver's. My last ridgeline trip there was a firepit built there. I wish I could provide more specifics to this location but you'll know it when you pass through it and you have to pass through it to get to 5057 from Heiro.

KBKB
City, State: Fountain Hills, AZ

Post by KBKB » Nov 09 2017 11:56 am

@damacias71
damacias71 wrote:Did you use a hand-held GPS out on your hike up there or do you think a cellphone with the RouteScout app will be fine?
I did the Superstition Peak 5057 - Balanced Rock Loop earlier this year. For most of it, I found my way using the route (from this site) that I had loaded onto my Suunto GPS watch. There were a few spots where I pulled out my cellphone and checked the route using the BackCountry Navigator app. (I haven't used RouteScout yet.)

I don't trust my phone's battery life to rely on it for navigating a hike that takes the better part of a day. When I did the hike noted above, the battery died within the last few miles of the hike. From a battery life perspective, I think it's better to use some sort of dedicated GPS device.

damacias71

Post by damacias71 » Nov 09 2017 5:43 pm

@chumley
Yes I will be carrying one of those portable power banks with me that I've used in the past. I was really just wondering if some one has used their phone GPS in these mountains and lost GPS signal. I can't imagine my cellphone GPS being as accurate or reliable as a handheld GPS. Thanks again!

The_Eagle
City, State: Far NE Phoenix, Az

Post by The_Eagle » Nov 09 2017 6:45 pm

@damacias71
Unless you are using a flip phone :) your smartphones GPS should work great for activities anywhere you can obtain a signal. Plus the maps are much easier to see on the larger and brighter screen. If you are worried, carry both. But if you can get a signal w/ your GPS, you can get one with Route Scout.
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry

damacias71

Post by damacias71 » Nov 09 2017 7:49 pm

@syoung
I believe you are referring to Freemont Saddle? I have been there many times. In fact, we finally decided that until we know the ridgeline a little better, we are just gonna camp around that area of the Superstition Mountains, off Peralta Trail, that my wife and I are familiar with. This will give me time to experiment with the RouteScout app. If for whatever reason I have trouble with it, I still know my way around. Thanks for all your help everyone. This is such a great community!

damacias71

Post by damacias71 » Nov 09 2017 7:58 pm

@The_Eagle
Haha! No I'm not using one of those old flip phones! I've used Alltrails a few times last month on my phone with success. I only recently discovered the RouteScout app and am barely learning how to import GPS maps and navagate the Hike Arizona website. These are exciting times for me!

cactuscat
City, State: Safford

Post by cactuscat » Nov 09 2017 9:02 pm

RouteScout works great, and your cellphone has more computing power than the NASA computers that put men on the moon, so I wouldn't worry! ;) :)
Where is the "dislike" button?

Return to “Trail Chat”