Day Hiking & general trail related

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Area  • Maricopa Trail, AZ
ultrazona
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Maricopa Trail Info

Post by ultrazona » Dec 08 2017 7:44 pm

I am planning a bikepacking trip along the Maricopa Trail and am seeking information regarding the trail/route from Bronco Trailhead connecting to the Dove Valley Trail. According to the Maricopa website the portion is listed as complete but I am having trouble determining the route via Sat images and topos. Any info would be helpful.

rcorfman

Re: Maricopa Trail Info

Post by rcorfman » Dec 08 2017 10:38 pm

@ultrazona
Funny you should ask, as I'm contemplating backpacking the MT from the East side of South Mountain clockwise to around the Scottsdale/Gateway area and have been working on the logistics. Unfortunately MT related info is severely lacking here on HAZ and that section is not mapped on the Maricopa County Parks and Rec MT page.

Last I heard, that part of the MT is not yet complete. There is a 1.3 mile section that is supposed to open this month, but:
Mare Czinar, Dec.2 wrote:I asked the Maricopa Trail & Park Foundation about this and the 1.3 mile section you speak of is going to be difficult to finish this month---cut thru solid rock, etc.
I've found some GPX tracks of what is open but they're on another website so I won't link it here as offsite linking is frowned upon.
Go find a LonelyCache

ultrazona

Post by ultrazona » Dec 09 2017 5:04 am

@rcorfman
Hmm. We probably came across the same info. I smashed together most the route from Bartlett Lake road South with one missing section between the road and Browns Ranch. It sounds like this portion is ridden occasionally so it shouldn't be an issue. The path North of the road is rated as a Black Diamond trail and dead ends before reaching Seven Springs Road. We are going to bypass this section using the road. We also cut the section all trail 247 because the trail conditions in the past we're nearly impossible to navigate on foot, I can't imagine doing it by bike. I will definitely relay any info back here after we complete the ride next weekend.

[ Route Editor ]
ultrazona.com

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Dec 09 2017 5:17 am

for anyone that cares to tackle helping other HAZ'rs the [ Maricopa Trail :: map ] area list might need redefined to
mt.png
mt.png (5.1 KiB) Viewed 420 times
https://maricopa.maps.arcgis.com/apps/w ... 6a27b9097b
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

rcorfman

Post by rcorfman » Dec 09 2017 5:04 pm

@joebartels
If I actually end up doing/completing my hike of the MT, I'll save GPX tracks and was hoping to create some descriptions and such. If this happens, I'd be happy to coordinate with you for the best way to organize this on HAZ. The plan is two phases so I can stop at home, get cleaned up, resupply, and kiss my wife. As it stands now, I haven't even mentioned this to her (SWMBO) yet :scared:. I wouldn't mind trying to complete all of the MT (at least full circle) but I'm not sure I would want to be that much of a hobo sleeping on park benches or what not through Scottsdale, etc. :o.
Go find a LonelyCache

rcorfman

Post by rcorfman » Dec 09 2017 5:07 pm

@ultrazona
I'm looking forward to hear how things go on your ride.
Go find a LonelyCache

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Dec 09 2017 6:24 pm

@rcorfman
I figured you might hike MT+GET from home to Albuquerque :)
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

ultrazona

Post by ultrazona » Dec 25 2017 1:10 pm

@rcorfman
Well are attempt went....as expected. Starting from the San Juan Lookout we followed the trail towards the Estrellas. The City of Phoenix Water Services kicked us out of the "recently closed" portion of trail between 83rd ave and 87th ave. I notified Marciopa County about this to ensure they were aware a reroute was needed. This section of trail was sandy or rocky with brief moments of beauty. Not ideal for cycling. After reaching PIR we took paved roads to meet up with the trail again on the North side of the I-10. The trail north of here was easy single track until we reached Grand Ave where we again deviated from the official trail. After reaching Lake Pleasant we met the trail again. The trail is sandy and boring for riding. I can't begin to imagine hiking it. After crossing under I-17 the trail becomes unrideable due to sand during stretches until arriving at New River Rd. After this the trail becomes beautiful single track. I stopped riding after reaching the Cave creek Regional Park due to mechanical issues. We plan to go back and bikepack from New River Road to the Mcdowells in a few months.
ultrazona.com

rcorfman

Post by rcorfman » Dec 25 2017 3:20 pm

@ultrazona
Thanks for that.

So the MT is closed through Tres Rios? Was that because you didn't have the Tres Rios permit or is it just closed/fenced?

Surprised you didn't ride through the Estrellas.

Was it easy to pick up the MT north of I-10 to White Tanks? It appears most of that is along roads.

I've been on most of the MT from White Tanks to Spur Cross except the part between Happy Valley Rd/303 to Lake Pleasant. Surprised you didn't take the MT from Grand to the 303, from what I recall, that was decent trail, easy riding.
Go find a LonelyCache

ultrazona

Post by ultrazona » Dec 25 2017 3:53 pm

@rcorfman
Yes the MT is closed through the Eastern section of Trees Rios due to eagle nesting. The western end is open. They mentioned nothing about the permit once they saw we were rolling through.

I wanted to ride the Estrella but one of my companions didn't have the right bike for it.

North of I-10 it was basically a foot trail along the road. We opted for the road since it made for better time.

We left the trail by the time we hit the 303 because we were being benighted. Our aggressive plan had us attempting 85 miles the first day. I regret skipping this section, but time would not allow for it.
ultrazona.com

rcorfman

Post by rcorfman » Jan 01 2018 7:43 pm

ultrazona wrote:I wanted to ride the Estrella but one of my companions didn't have the right bike for it.
So I tackled about 80 miles of the MT Thursday through Sunday and I don't think this is the case as the trails through Estrella are smooth, plenty wide, and climbing is limited and an easy grade. It would have been easier riding and more fun than along the Mule Deer trail through White Tanks Regional Park. I still need to write up my trip report so more coming in it.
Go find a LonelyCache

Return to “Trail Chat”