Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
SpiderLegs
Former Brand Emphasizer
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Motorized Electric Bikes On Trails

Post by SpiderLegs » Dec 10 2017 7:15 am

Had my first encounter with one of those new motorized E-Bikes on Trail 100 yesterday. Guess the intent of these bikes is to have a small electric motor to "assist" the rider up short, steep sections of trail. The bikes have a max speed of about 20 MPH. I really got ticked off when I saw this guy plowing down the trail on what in my mind is essentially a low powered motorcycle.

Has anyone else bumped into these bikes yet? From the cursory bit of research I've read these bikes exist in a grey area and haven't been banned yet because they are so new to the market.
See my pics on Instagram @tucsonexplorer

CannondaleKid
Soap Box Kopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Re: Motorized Electric Bikes On Trails

Post by CannondaleKid » Dec 10 2017 8:38 am

SpiderLegs wrote:I've read these bikes exist in a grey area
Huh? Grey area?
What part of 'motorized bike' is vague? Seems to me whether the 'motor' is electric or gas it is till a motorized vehicle, whether sometimes human-powered or not.

Now if the bike had a wind-up spring which could be released as a short-term assist (which I wouldn't consider a motorized vehicle), that would be more likely a grey area than an electric bike.
CannondaleKid

The_Eagle
The Bunyan Blind Raptor
City, State: Far NE Phoenix, Az

Post by The_Eagle » Dec 10 2017 8:48 am

CannondaleKid wrote:Now if the bike had a wind-up spring which could be released as a short-term assist (which I wouldn't consider a motorized vehicle), that would be more likely a grey area than an electric bike.
Maybe so, but still considered a motor. You are splitting hairs at this point.
giving, imparting, or producing motion or action.
any self-powered vehicle.
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry

no avatar
sidhayes
Speedipelli

Post by sidhayes » Dec 10 2017 11:27 am

Whatever one wishes to call them, it's pathetic to use them on the trails or the roads.

SpiderLegs
Former Brand Emphasizer
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by SpiderLegs » Dec 10 2017 11:30 am

I've only done about 20 minutes of research on them. Appears the position of the BLM right now is that some E-bikes are fine because the motors are so small and not big enough to qualify as a real engine, but others with more power are banned on trails within the BLM owned lands like most of the BCT. One blog post from 3 years ago had a quote from a Phoenix Park Ranger and her opinion is that if it has any motor, no matter how small it's banned from the park system. Looking back I should have run over to find a ranger to catch this guy. He was so overweight that the engine was doing all of the work, not just a short term assistance uphill.
See my pics on Instagram @tucsonexplorer

KBKB
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Fountain Hills, AZ

Post by KBKB » Dec 10 2017 1:17 pm

SpiderLegs wrote:Had my first encounter with one of those new motorized E-Bikes on Trail 100 yesterday. Guess the intent of these bikes is to have a small electric motor to "assist" the rider up short, steep sections of trail. The bikes have a max speed of about 20 MPH. I really got ticked off when I saw this guy plowing down the trail on what in my mind is essentially a low powered motorcycle.

Has anyone else bumped into these bikes yet?
I came across a group of three riders with this type of bike while mountain biking in the Granite Mountain / Brown's Ranch area several weeks ago.

It wasn't immediately obvious that they had a motorized assist. In fact, I would not have noticed had it not been for my friend commenting on them when we stopped to chat. The batteries are fairly small and could conceivably be concealed in the tubing of the bike. I learned several days later that they're not permitted in the Preserve. Enforcement of this rule might be hard, however, since it won't always be clear if it's an ordinary mountain bike or a bike with motorized assistance.

Return to “Trail Chat”