Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
desertdryad
City, State: Tucson, AZ

seeking car camping ideas near Mt Baldy

Post by desertdryad » Sep 01 2018 10:18 am

HI folks:

I'm planning to hike Mt. Baldy in a few weeks day hiking, and Ive not explored much in that general area. Can anyone suggest some car camping possibilities that would not require too much of a drive to get to the West Mt Baldy trailhead? I am aware that some of the area up there has fire damage form a few years ago and I'd prefer not to be in the middle of that. I have high clearance and 4WD and know how to use them. Your suggestions?

Tortoise_Hiker
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Re: seeking car camping ideas near Mt Baldy

Post by Tortoise_Hiker » Sep 01 2018 11:25 am

@desertdryad Big Lake has worked for me. You could fish if you wanted to. They have showers for a few bucks and bathrooms. If you take BobP he cooks a great meal....lol If you have an extra half day Thompson Trail is a flat 6 mile hike by the Black River that is a nice add on.
Tortoise Hiking. Stop and smell the Petrichor.

desertdryad
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by desertdryad » Sep 01 2018 11:41 am

Thanks, Tortoise... I was eyeing that area, but I was hoping for something a bit more 'off the beaten path'. There does appear to be a few dirt roads coming off the lake in various directions... privacy is my preference.

JoelHazelton
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by JoelHazelton » Sep 02 2018 12:03 pm

FR8070L or FR8989 off Hwy 261.
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

http://www.joelhazelton.com

Return to “Trail Chat”