Day Hiking & general trail related

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Help build new Hawes Trail 12/22/18 8am-noon

Post by CannondaleKid » Dec 19 2018 7:40 am

A new trail running west from the mid-point of the 3-week-old Scorpion Trail will be constructed this coming Saturday, December 22 between 8 am and noon.

This trail will be a 'connector' as it will connect Scorpion with another soon-to-be constructed horseshoe-loop trail. This loop trail will eventually connect on both ends to the Wild Horse Trail.
(I don't have definitive information as to when the horseshoe-loop trail will be built, but sometime in early 2019 would be my guess.)

Anyone who would like to aid in the construction of the trail, bring your gloves, tools, water, etc. and be out on Bush Highway near Milepost 26 by 8 am.

NOTE: For safety of all, please keep a clear line-of-sight to the horse crossing gate by parking well off the pavement as follows:
Northbound: Park either BEFORE the 'Horse Crossing' sign or at least 100' NORTH of the horse crossing gate.
Southbound: Park either BEFORE the 'Horse Crossing' sign or at least 100' SOUTH of the horse crossing gate.

Facebook users: More information is on the "Hawes Trail Alliance" Facebook page.
CannondaleKid

CannondaleKid

Re: Help build new Hawes Trail 12/22/18 8am-noon

Post by CannondaleKid » Dec 22 2018 5:52 am

This is an alert sent to the TRAL (Tonto Recreation Alliance) volunteer organization from the District Ranger:
All volunteers,
If there is a government shutdown this evening,
your work as a volunteer should cease. You will know if there is a shutdown by watching news outlets. If you are camping or housed at Forest Service facilities, you are permitted to stay.
At this time, The Mesa Ranger District is NOT planning on closing any sites. Therefore campers will be permitted to camp at Tortilla Campground, Boaters can use boat ramps, Picnicker’s can use day use sites, Hiker’s can access the Wilderness Trailheads, and etc.
Forest Law Enforcement will continue to work and have a presence on the Forest.

That said, since the shutdown did take place, it is very likely this trail-building exercise may NOT be take place today.
So if you planned on joining in on the fun, you may want to be prepared for alternative plans... like hiking in the area.
Last edited by CannondaleKid on Dec 22 2018 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
CannondaleKid

CannondaleKid

Post by CannondaleKid » Dec 22 2018 1:43 pm

The shutdown did take effect so all volunteer work should have ceased.
However... with the event being scheduled so far in advance as well as such a great turnout (50+?) the trail construction went ahead as planned and the 'Scorpion Alley' connector trail was completed in under two hours.
About half the group was fired up enough to begin work on the new 'Stinger' trail (a fitting name since it is shaped roughly like the stinger of a scorpion) of which both ends will connect to Wild Horse Trail.
Last edited by CannondaleKid on Dec 22 2018 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CannondaleKid

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Dec 22 2018 3:54 pm

CannondaleKid wrote:all volunteer work should have ceased
I'm sure this is open to interpretation ... and there's nobody who will answer the phone to tell you if you're right or wrong, but my impression of this guideline is for people who volunteer in an official capacity for the FS. An example would be snakemarks or lumberjack who don FS uniforms and volunteer at the Peralta or First Water trailheads. I think it's clear that those volunteers should cease their volunteering.

A bunch of random volunteers that technically are coordinated by a non-government group (TRAL) ... meh. I would have gone ahead with it today too.

Sounds like a good turnout. Glad to hear how much was accomplished.
Highway to hell

CannondaleKid

Post by CannondaleKid » Dec 22 2018 4:16 pm

@chumley
Although I got the email through my membership in the TRAL organization, this trail construction was to be coordinated/overseen officially by Tonto NF... but again, who was to stop folks from hiking with a few extra tools, and maybe dragging a hoe or rake along the way. :-$

We couldn't have asked better weather!
CannondaleKid

cw50must

Post by cw50must » Dec 26 2018 2:26 pm

I rode it on the 24th. I liked it. I liked it a lot better going down hill than up, but I think thats a personal problem. ;)

Return to “Trail Chat”